Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Favorite cards, and why  (Read 6549 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Favorite cards, and why
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:49:11 pm »
+1

What are your favorite cards, and why? I recall seeing a thread on this a while ago, but it seemed focused more on the list, and less on the explanation.

Black Market: adds so much variety and crazy situations to the game.

Watchtower: rewards a player who can utilize its many synergies. Elegant design.

Menagerie: requires work to set up but has great potential. Perfectly embodies Cornucopia.

Tactician: I love double Tactician decks, and even a single Tactician shows that one great turn is often better than two regular turns.

Procession: It can be incredibly powerful, but requires a lot of care to use correctly.

Honorable Mention: Hermit, Counterfeit, Crossroads.

Though Black Market is my favorite card online, it seems like the setup IRL for a traditional 25 card Black Market deck would be a pain and people needing to read the cards would slow down the game. I haven’t played Adventures enough to have any Adventures favorites.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Favorite cards, and why
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
+4

(This is not a strict order)
1. Black Market - I love making a deck with so many different possible cards in the kingdom.  I love the kooky card interactions it has too, like with draw to X.  Plus it can gain 'n play if you have the right deck, which is always fun and powerful too.
2. Watchtower - I'm always discovering a new use for this, and I mean for every effect it has.
3. Messenger - Mostly in multiplayer, it's great for joking around with people, making them think you're on to something when you're probably just on something.  Also nice for pileouts sometimes.
4. Apothecary - Probably my favorite engine enabler just because it filters dumb cards and lets you plan ahead a little. 
5. Menagerie - A given, really.  There's just something fun about revealing a hand with lots of variety.
6. Horn of Plenty - Probably the most satisfying payoff deck out there is the HoP deck
7. Advisor - Advisor engines are amusing when they work, especially if your opponent at first thinks the Advisors are being fooled and then the joke's on them when you draw everything anyway
8. Herald - Incredibly fun autoplay card, and the topdeck is cool when it comes in handy too.
9. Vineyard - My favorite alternate victory card because you get to build an action-heavy deck while going for it, in contrast to most other alt-VP.
10. Jester - Hilarious in multiplayer, but also a fun card of dubious value sometimes in 2 Player.  I love when it hits cards like Golem.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:38:23 pm »

Pirate ship - it's weak, but it can be hilarious if you manage to get it going and your opponent lets you do it and doesn't react fast enough.
Chapel - maybe a bit obvious and certainly joined by other trash-for-benefit-of-trashing cards, yet I feel I always have more fun if chapel's on the board.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »
+2

My favorite cards pretty much all have the same "why" to them:

King's Court
Goons
Grand Market
City
Chapel

Basically, I like games where you can just go crazy with getting huge amounts of money, buy huge amounts of cards, and score huge amounts of points.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:46 pm »

Remodel: A lot of the cards in the base set are blunt tools. Chop cards out with a chapel. Bash your opponent with a militia. However the remodel needed more care in building a deck, care with regard to card costs, and rewarded you with finer control of your deck. Later cards can do more things but I do like the simplicity of the original remodel, village, and throne room.

Treasure Map: It always seemed a crazy idea to me and yet it works.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

Vault: I am boring and like to play money. Favorite vault game.

Quarry: It's extremely balanced as far as cost reducers go. Bridge and Highway are way too swingy for me.

Library: 7 > 6.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:47:45 pm »
+7

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:52:40 pm »
+3

My favorite cards pretty much all have the same "why" to them:

King's Court
Goons
Grand Market
City
Chapel

Basically, I like games where you can just go crazy with getting huge amounts of money, buy huge amounts of cards, and score huge amounts of points.

Ditto. I made a kingdom with these (plus Conspirator I think) in an IRL game a while back.

On a not-unrelated note, my fiancee will never play Dominion with me ever again.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »

Squire: I love cards that grant versatility, so this is a natural favorite. Being able to trash it to gain an Attack is also a fun and flavorful bonus.

Ambassador:
Transferring cards back and forth with Ambassador is a fun game to play while building your deck.

Lighthouse:
Whenever this card is on the board I almost always make sure to pick one up. I have no idea why except that I like it a lot.

Embargo: Has the potential to stop one card strategies and is just a fun card to try and play with/around.

Horse Traders:
A cool way to block a lot of attacks with a powerful top effect to boot.

Miser also looks really fun, but I haven't played with it yet.

Oliver Reznik

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: 0rpheon
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »

Chapel: Lets you design very specific decks early on without the interference of your starting junk.
Apprentice: Let's you draw a ton of cards and is non-terminal. Coupled with buys/gold-gaining/gaining from the trash this card can pull off some awesome mega turns. Apprentice with market square is awesome.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 07:41:08 pm »

Peddler, Fortress for their interactions with TFB.
Teacher because tokens "make your deck explode".
Magpie and Rats because they are so strategically interesting.
removed by user

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »
+1

Chancellor: Everyone else hates him, but of all the "hated" cards, he's definitely the most useful.  BAM let's shuffle.

Ghost Ship: Really more of a love/hate kind of thing.  Love when I can pin down my opponents, hate when it happens to me.

Bishop: I always try to make Bishop work, even though it often doesn't pan out, because it's oh-so satisfying when it does.

Goons: Fairly self-explanatory.  I think I've lost maybe... one?  Goons game?  GOOONS

Fool's Gold: You're only a fool if you don't go for this card.

Border Village: Perhaps the perfect Village.

Death Cart: So much money if you can feed him.

Ironmonger: Just an absolutely solid card, one of the best s.

Rats: But only when there's something there that can use them.

Count: DoubleCount is so much more satisfying than DoubleJack.  Oh, excuse me while I just GAIN A DUCHY

Counterfeit: Best Kingdom Treasure, hands down.

Journeyman: Excellent draw card.  Just wave at those Coppers/Curses/Estates as they go flying by.

Peasant: Soldier can give a RIDICULOUS amount of , Disciple is amazing, and Teacher makes me happy.

Gear: I'm just going to come out and say it.  This is the best BM card ever designed.  Also handy in engines.

Miser: I like him better than Moneylender.  Gets absolutely ridiculous with Throne Room variants.

Port: Second favorite Village.

Bridge Troll: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Expedition: Favorite Event.  Can get you ridiculous starting hand sizes, particularly when paired with Duration draw.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 11:52:47 pm »
+1

Steward: It trashes.  It draws.  It gives you money.  It does all the things.  So flexible.
Watchtower: It trashes.  It draws.  It topdecks.  It does all the things.  So flexible.
Butcher: It looks like it only does one thing, but you can do all kinds of things with it.
Forge: Not as great as Butcher, but same idea.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:54:36 am »
+2

"Gear: Also handy in engines."
True in Dominion and real life haha

--

My top 5 (in no particular order [alphabetical order actually])
1. Apprentice - awesome art and cool TFB card.
2. Band of Misfits - because it can shape shift into a bunch of different cards.  O! The versatility!
3. Baker - best card art in the game imo.  Plus the bonus coin token offers more variety for openings.
4. Hunting Party -  here's a rather nifty card.  And I do love parties.
5. Poor House - pretty weak but a lot of fun when you can pull it off.
Special Mention: Soothsayer.  Because its French name.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 09:12:05 am »
+5

3. Baker - best card art in the game imo.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:27 am »

My favorite card is Fortress!

It's just really good on every board it is on.

1. It creates a bishop golden deck which I think are really fun and tactical to play.
2. It explodes games with upgrade or procession and even cards like forager and mercenary and apprentice.
3. It creates cool interactions with any trasher especially lookout.
4. Hey, if there isn't a trasher on the board then it's still a village which is a critical part to most engines.

So in summary it is a card that creates a lot of cool things we don't normally see in most dominion games and even if there isn't a trasher then its still really important most of the time.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:15 pm »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Stonemason yet.  I think it's really well designed, it gives new options at most price points when it's on the table, it has awesome combos with cost reducers, and it opens up all kinds of possibilities in the end game.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 01:32:20 pm »

My favorite card is Fortress!
The problem I have with fortress is that somtimes you use it only for the on-trash effect, sometimes only for the village… not as often both. So overall, it feels like a "patchwork" for me.
It wouldn't bother me if the main effect was something more neutral, like Cantrip-money (Peddler) or VP (Tunnel).

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »

City: its effect is both strategically interesting and thematically appropriate.

Black Market: because I love the weirdness.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

The problem I have with fortress is that somtimes you use it only for the on-trash effect, sometimes only for the village… not as often both. So overall, it feels like a "patchwork" for me.

Well, the Bishop/Fortress combo requires it to be both.

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »

1. Swindler - Because I think the action is just... cute. Okay, it's swingy, but it's pretty funny to turn a good card into a worse card of the same cost.
2. Library - Draw up to X - but the extra mechanic makes it cool. Watchtowers defensive powers are awesome as well, but I don't like it's topdeck mechanic
3. City - I really, really like the 'growing' aspect that it provides
4. JoaT - Maybe it destroys the fun of quite some games, but I like how powerful a card combined of mediocre powers can be..
5. Bridge - The cost reduction gives some neat interactions
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.