Dominion > Dominion Articles

Combo: Hamlet / Watchtower or Library

(1/1)

Eagle:
This might be one of the more obvious combos that there is (It has to be!  I stumbled on it without being told about it or watching someone do it first.), but I haven’t seen anybody mention it, so I figured I would.

It’s interaction is immediately apparent.  Hamlet lets you discard up to two (hopefully green, purple, or low value coin) from your hand, while providing you with useful +actions and +buys.  Then Watchtower fills your hand back up.

Basically you trim your hand down to only the cards you really want, plus a watchtower or Library, and repeat, until you either don’t draw any more hamlets to discard the junk, or watchtowers/libraries to refill.    If you’re running a deck with +$ cards, it’s sometimes possible to play them & discard down to nothing except a single watchtower in hand, and then fill back up & grab some more hamlets, and +$ cards.

It’s a pretty simple strategy, but at least in few games I've played them together it seemed very effective, especially if you can get the majority of the Hamlets.

This combo seems to strengthen some other kingdom cards that don’t give you extra cards, but give you coin, and especially +coin +action, (Festival, Minion might be interesting, Pawn?)

I’m just an average player, so I easily could be missing some way for an opponent to shut it down, or some flaw in my logic, I’d love to hear what the lvl 35+ guys think about this interaction.

rrenaud:
The Hamlet and Watchtower/Library combo is totally solid.  Cards that decrease hand size (and hopefully net actions) work really well with Library and Watchtower.  Fishing Village, Upgrade, Shanty Town, even Vault, Remake, or Secret with some action forks do this well.

It's similar to the three piece combo of Vault/Library/+Action.

I noticed that Cornucopia has a lot of self hand size decreasing actions (hamlet, remake, young witch, horse traders), which I suspect are part of the design to make Menagerie combos work.

guided:
Yeah, I found Hamlet/Library shortly after Cornucopia went live on isotropic, and it may be my favorite new combo coming from the expansion!

I would say it's much better than Festival/Library, which was already pretty damn good on certain boards. First, you cycle faster and draw better cards on average (since you can reduce your hand size by 2 instead of just 1 with Festival). But much more importantly, it's very easy to get a Hamlet stack. When building an engine on two different $5 cards (like Festival/Library or Bazaar/Torturer) it's very difficult to get all the cards you need together, and you often have to agonize about which engine card to take for $5 at any given time. With Hamlet, on the other hand, the Kingdom is giving them away like candy!

painted_cow:
Warehouses are also really good to search your deck for this combo and also gives you -1 card. Just be sure, that you have some money in your deck other than he pure engine, otherwise you discard your hand, draw to 6/7, discard and draw again and have still only coppers and estates in your hand :-)

DG:
Just for completeness you can have university/library, which even allows your universities to gain your libraries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version