Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forum Survivor 2 Puzzles  (Read 2478 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Forum Survivor 2 Puzzles
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:53 am »

If you've read my signature in the last 9 months, you may have noticed that I hosted Season 2 of Forum Survivor. This thread isn't exactly about that, but the important part is that the game just concluded. Go check out the link in my signature if you're curious.

Anyways, one of the components of the game was the Hidden Immunity Idol -- throughout the game, you may find yourself with clues to the idol, and one of the puzzles you had to figure out was a Dominion puzzle. Now that the game is over, I can post these puzzles publicly and not compromise the integrity of the forum game, so here you go!

A few things to mention: mad props to Liopoil for helping me with these puzzles. Also, mad props to Galzria for beating the solutions Lio and I came up with for all three of these puzzles. Solutions can be found if you dig deep in the spectator materials for the forum game, and I'll probably post them here eventually, but for now we'll let people try to do as well as they can:

There were three hidden idols in the game, each with a different puzzle. The puzzles had the same description, just different kingdoms:

Given the following kingdom in Dominion and perfect shuffle luck, what is the highest score you can have in a solitaire game after seven turns? You don't need to worry about ending the game.

Purple Idol: Crossroads, Stonemason, Doctor, Swindler, Death Cart, Silk Road, Baker, Mountebank, Swamp Hag, Hunting Grounds (you may also choose the composition of the Ruins pile for Death Cart if you wish)

Orange Idol: Crossroads, Stonemason, Doctor, Coppersmith, Death Cart, Nomad Camp, Scout, Silk Road, Baker, Hunting Grounds (you may also choose the composition of the Ruins pile for Death Cart if you wish)

Green Idol: Crossroads, Stonemason, Doctor, Sage, Coppersmith, Death Cart, Nomad Camp, Scout, Duke, Hunting Grounds (The Ruins deck must be 10 copies of the card "Survivors")

Yes, the puzzles are sort of similar, they share several cards, but the solutions are pretty different and unique. There's one particular solution that Lio found that's really neat, but unfortunately there's a better way without doing the cool part. Sad day.

Let's see what you can come up with!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Survivor 2 Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:16 am »

...Can you please tell me where Flag B was?!?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 02:15:08 am »

I'm assuming Estates and no Colonies?  I can get 59 for Green Idol, but I really feel like it should be possible to do better.  Also I haven't double-checked it so I almost certainly made some mistakes somewhere.  The idea is get as many Hunting Grounds as possible and Stonemason them into Dukes and Duchies, and use Sage and Crossroads to skip over all your dead cards.  Based on the kingdom cards though, I get the feeling I was supposed to do something with Scout/Crossroads for draw, and then Coppersmith to make a lot of money.

T1: Draw CCCEE; Buy Sage
T2: Draw CCCCE; Buy Death Cart, gaining two Survivors
T3: Draw CCC, Survivors, Sage; Play Sage, skipping all cards and drawing Death Cart; play Death Cart, trashing Survivors; buy Stonemason, overpaying by $6 and gaining two Hunting Grounds
Current Deck Contents: CCCCCCCEEE, Sage, Death Cart, Survivors, Stonemason, 2 Hunting Grounds
T4: Draw CC, Sage, Stonemason, Hunting Grounds; play Sage, skipping all other Coppers/Estates/Survivors, drawing Death Cart; Play Stonemason, trashing Hunting Grounds, gaining three Duchies; buy Crossroads
Discard Pile: CCCCCCCEEEDDD, Sage, Stonemason, Survivors, DC, Crossroads; Deck: HG
T5: Draw HG, Crossroads, DDD; Play Crossroads, drawing Sage, Stonemason, Survivors; Play Sage, skipping CCCCCCCEEE, drawing Death Cart; play Stonemason, trashing HG, gaining one Duchy and 2 Dukes; play Death Cart, trashing Survivors; buy Death Cart, gaining 2 Survivors
Deck: CCCCCCCEEEDDDD, 2 Dukes, 2 Survivors, 2 Death Carts, 1 Crossroads, 1 Sage, 1 Stonemason
T6: Draw DDDD, Crossroads; Play Crossroads, drawing Sage, Duke, Survivors, Death Cart; Play Sage, skipping CCCCCCCEEE, Death Cart, and drawing Death Cart; play DC, trashing Survivors; play DC, trashing itself; buy Stonemason, overpaying by $6, gaining two Hunting Grounds
Discard Pile: CCCCCCCEEEDDDD, Duke, Crossroads, Death Cart, Sage, 2 HG, Stonemason, Survivors; Deck: Duke, Stonemason
T7: Draw Duke, Stonemason, Crossroads, Stonemason, Hunting Grounds; Play Crossroads, drawing Hunting Grounds; Stonemason both HG’s for 3 duchies and 3 dukes

Finish with 3 Estates, 7 Duchies, and 5 Dukes for 59 VP.

You can also go for 8 Duchies and 4 Dukes for the same number of VP.

I think you might be able to improve if you can work a Nomad Camp in there somehow instead of the second Death Cart?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:31:03 am »

You can do better!

The cool solution is to the orange one, but one of the cards in that kingdom is too OP for me :(.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:27 am »

...Can you please tell me where Flag B was?!?

Go to the Spec Spreadsheet, and click on the link on the main sheet that says "Hidden Immunity Idols." You can scroll down to get detailed solutions to all the idol parts, including Flag B and answers to these puzzles :)

I'm assuming Estates and no Colonies?

That's correct.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

This has sat here for a while, I'll just post a link to the Google Doc which contains the solutions as they were found and improved

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UjE3v9e4ELoeA5W8tGdhTqq2wo8RdxD9239as7GHd8o/edit
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.