Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: BM (Bad Maneer)  (Read 11169 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
BM (Bad Maneer)
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:41:35 pm »

Do you often BM people ? That means, when you can end game and win, do you do a trolling move sometimes ? And what are your best (or worst) BMs ?

I just swindled an opponent's stables into a Duchy when I was about to buy the last province.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: BM (Bad Maneer)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 06:51:02 pm »
+4

I do it when and only when it's faster to make sure I have enough coins, buys, VPs and stuff by overdoing it than double-checking my math.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »
+2

I mean, this isn't really bad manners, is it? If I have 13 and two buys and I'm buying the last province for the win, sure I'm going to buy the duchy too even though I don't need it to win. There are more extreme examples, and I don't do those, but I always buy as much VP as I can on the last turn unless it will take a lot more clicks to get more money/buys or if it is risky.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:14:48 pm »

Goddamn Bad Maneer… I hate that guy! Always ruining everybody's fun.  >:(

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »
+5

Is it BM to have a BM while playing a BM strategy using BM?

(Anyway, the only thing that really bothers me is deliberate slow rolling. That's hell.)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 03:40:49 am »

It is BM to have a Black Market in any case.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 03:28:00 pm »

Is it BM to have a BM while playing a BM strategy using BM?
yes.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »
+2

Goddamn Bad Maneer… I hate that guy! Always ruining everybody's fun.  >:(

I thought that was an Indian dish.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
+1

I had to pass someone a province the other day with masq to be sure id have enough $ to buy the last province and win the game. But it was a legit play, not a bm play.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 05:09:15 pm »
+9

I had to pass someone a province the other day with masq to be sure id have enough $ to buy the last province and win the game. But it was a legit play, not a bm play.
First world dominion problems...

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
+2

I don't think anyone would consider that bad manners, any more than tricks like using Ambassador to drain the Province pile.  If you need to do something to end the game with a win, then that thing is an acceptable play. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:39 pm »

I don't think anyone would consider that bad manners, any more than tricks like using Ambassador to drain the Province pile.  If you need to do something to end the game with a win, then that thing is an acceptable play.

yeah, i felt super awkward though, because i thought my opponent might not know why i was doing it, so i carefully explained it in the  chat. first world dominion problems is right.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »

I had an opponent who won the game with a bunch of extra buys and then proceeded to use them all to buy curses until he/she had run out of buys. I'm a hard person to offend but I could see how that might bother someone. That type of behavior may come off as bad maneer but it could just have easily been a bad mevrouw.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:45:14 pm by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 07:49:42 am »

I had an opponent who won the game with a bunch of extra buys and then proceeded to use them all to buy curses until he/she had run out of buys. I'm a hard person to offend but I could see how that might bother someone. That type of behavior may come off as bad maneer but it could just have easily been a bad mevrouw.
Nope, this IS what I called bad manneer. You have to make your opponent understand that you mastered that game, have a significant and calculated lead. (passing a province for money, buying one curse to buff Fairgrounds isn't or piledrive curses to 3-pile end isn't at all)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:15:20 am by ChocophileBenj »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »

yeah, i felt super awkward though, because i thought my opponent might not know why i was doing it, so i carefully explained it in the  chat. first world dominion problems is right.
Depends on the opponent I guess.  FWIW if I got passed a Province I'd try to figure out why by looking at the rest of your turn.  If the next thing you do is play barely $8 and win, there's my answer.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
+2

While we're talking about Bad Maneer, please don't say "gg" and then leave the game without waiting for the other player to respond, especially if you just won.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »
+9

While we're talking about Bad Maneer, please don't say "gg" and then leave the game without waiting for the other player to respond, especially if you just won.
Not this again!

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:45 am »

There are so many people on Dominion Online who don't know what "gl hf" stands for... maybe more than on Board Game Arena or Isotropic.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 11:06:27 am »
+2

Or say "gg" before completing your last turn, or say "gg" during my turn when I'm not at all certain I have a forced win...
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 11:19:25 am »
+1

say "gg" during my turn when I'm not at all certain I have a forced win...

Unless they resign after saying it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

So, there's been an ongoing debate on these forums about when it is and isn't acceptable to say "good game" (or "gg") to your opponent, near/at the end of the game. There's as many opinions about this as there are people in the discussion. We've had this discussion before, and it wasn't exactly unheated. If we're going to have it again, can we make sure that we have it civilly at least?

Also, this counts as explaining a joke, right?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »
+1

But if it's civil it's no fun :(

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 01:05:27 pm »
+3

But if it's civil it's no fun :(

You could try "ggah", which as we all know stands for "good game, asshat".

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »

So, there's been an ongoing debate on these forums about when it is and isn't acceptable to say "good game" (or "gg") to your opponent, near/at the end of the game. There's as many opinions about this as there are people in the discussion. We've had this discussion before, and it wasn't exactly unheated. If we're going to have it again, can we make sure that we have it civilly at least?

Also, this counts as explaining a joke, right?
So... ugh, civilly, is there some sort of consensus about it? I usually use it if I think it's been a good game, regardless of whether I'm winning and how open the game still is, but I'd hate to sound snobby, gloating or anything except friendly noob, really.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 02:56:12 pm »
+4

This is obviously (from previous discussions here and elsewhere) one that has many different opinions.  Mine is this: Don't be a jerk, and give others the benefit of the doubt as much as possible.

Some people just say "gg" every game because that is what they do.  Some people don't say anything. Sometimes people don't feel like sticking around to converse, or even to wait for a simple response and they just leave.  Perhaps sometimes they are frustrated and just want to rage-close the game.  Whatever the reason is, I try to assume that they aren't attempting to offend me.

I try to say gg when I lose, or in response to my opponent, but sometimes I close the game in disgust at the shuffle luck that I made for myself.

Some people are just jerks and like to tell you how lucky you got.  Those people don't have any doubt to benefit from, so I think saving your anger for them is better than people who don't say gg, or don't wait for you to do so.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.047 seconds with 21 queries.