Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: One Card Preview of My New Expansion (Dominion:Corruption)  (Read 2243 times)

Jsketchy

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
One Card Preview of My New Expansion (Dominion:Corruption)
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:00:59 am »
+1

This is the first card in my fan expansion centered around curses. Of course, being a cursed based expansion means it had to include the 7 deadly sins (been done).

I was really inspired by GreyICE

Well that's why I thought of the "7 vices" curses.  It would be cool design space if instead of gaining a curse you gain something that might be better or worse than a curse.

Basically 7 of the 28 cards in my expansion are "Vice" cards. Vices are Curse type cards that you get by being cursed by other players. Each of them is inherently worse than a Curse (-2 VP), but can potentially pay off. They are like Spoils, in that they do not have a Supply pile, and cannot be gained normally. They also give you Curses when used.

Without further ado, the first of the series:

Envy
$0*
Action - Attack - Curse - Vice
Each other player reveals an Action card from their hand (or reveals a hand with no Action cards). You may gain two Curses, putting them on top of your deck. If you do, choose one of the revealed Actions and play a copy of it, then discard it.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Now that looks like way too much card text, but that is only because of the required rules text, it really should look more like this:

The premise behind this is that you take someone else things, which makes ends up doing you more harm than good (in a vacuum). This could be offset with some clutch plays, however. This card also deals some damage to your opponent because you use their stuff instead of them. Their card gets put in their discard pile, I'm not sure if that is clear.

http://imgur.com/a/G4ezo
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:03:09 am by Jsketchy »

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
Re: One Card Preview of My New Expansion (Dominion:Corruption)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:27:05 am »

Rules issue: Where does the action card copy you play come from, and where is it discarded to?  Presumably the implication is 'this Envy is a copy of that card until it leaves play; the opponent discards that card.'  This faces a MASSIVE problem with politics; it really ought to make all the opponents discard the revealed card, or you can just pick on one person and... take them down with you I guess.

Envy is gained whenever you could gain a curse?  Seems like a REALLY bad choice most of the time.  Lose an extra 1 to 4 VP for a relatively low chance that curse might instead be a useful action card, on a board that might not even have action cards other than Envy?  It seems likely to be self-defeating a lot of the time, because you play Envy, gain two curses, your opponents each reveal an Envy, and then... you're screwed.  You've wasted an action to do basically nothing, or to gain two curses and play an Envy, forcing them to discard a junk card and then hoping that they might have something better?  But you've junked your deck more than they have, and you can't choose to get Envies instead, and you only have a three-card hand next round, from which your opponents might then be able to discard any action cards you have by playing an Envy if they have one...

Seems REALLY bad.  Really, really bad.

I like the concept of 'take worse penalties from junk that has a chance to be better later', kind of like Ruins, but this implementation just seems like something I'd almost never choose to actually use.

I'd be inclined to make it something like

Envy
0*
Action/Attack/Curse/Vice
Take a -1VP token, and each opponent must reveal and discard an action card or reveal a hand without action cards.  This Envy functions as a copy of one of those cards until it leaves play.
----
-1 VP.

Still faces the possible pinning issue, though, and the 'frequently not actually being very good' issue.  Also, being strictly better than Curse.

Maybe just make it buyable by itself, so that you can buy it for the attack?  Or make it be given out by a specific junker action as well as takable instead of curse?

I'm not sure.

Jsketchy

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:04:23 am »

this Envy is a copy of that card until it leaves play; the opponent discards that card.
Good format. I will incorporate that.

This faces a MASSIVE problem with politics; it really ought to make all the opponents discard the revealed card, or you can just pick on one person and... take them down with you I guess.

...you only have a three-card hand next round, from which your opponents might then be able to discard any action cards you have by playing an Envy if they have one...
Good point. I added the discarding to make it feel more like an attack. I'm not to attached to it, and could see dropping it for these reasons.

Lose an extra 1 to 4 VP for a relatively low chance that curse might instead be a useful action card...
The point of these cards is that they are a gamble. That's why I wanted them to be -2 VP and give Curses to you. I also wanted them to hurt your next hand, because the idea of the 7 deadly sins is they just keep causing strife.
Side Note:where are you getting an extra -4 VP from? By itself, it's -1 and then it increments by -2 each time it's played.

...on a board that might not even have action cards other than Envy?
If there are no other Actions, you can just choose not to take them. They also don't take up a Supply pile, so that's kind of nice.

It seems likely to be self-defeating a lot of the time, because you play Envy, gain two curses, your opponents each reveal an Envy, and then... you're screwed
Did not consider that, but it's kind of like Mountebank, which is fine. Just makes it better for the early game than the late. Playing another Envy in the same turn would hurt a lot though... But see below.

Seems REALLY bad.  Really, really bad.
It replaces a Curse. That's the point. You are NOT supposed to play this as your main action in a turn.

Take a -1VP token...
I don't want to use -1 VP tokens, but I could see dropping it to gaining one Curse on top of your deck, because of how much of a gamble it is. The reason I had it at two was that another card I'm working on, Greed, does a similar thing with Treasures. You play a treasure from the supply, trash it, and gain curses on top of your deck equal to its worth (Gain a Platinum? No next turn). I figured that using Envy was worth about a Silver. But with Greed you make a choice which treasure you get.

How do you feel about making the opponents reveal their hand? Does that make it way too powerful?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:07:27 am by Jsketchy »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:16:42 am »
+1

There are many threads going into great detail about this already, but a new card with type Curse is a bad idea. It serves no purpose other than changing the strength of existing balanced cards. See Donald's own explanation of why here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg153348;topicseen#msg153348.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:36 am »
+1

At first impression, it seems like I would just about never want this card instead of curse. If I use its power, my opponent will discard their weakest action, which could be a Ruin, another Envy, or something else that's probably not worth stealing. Then, I get two curses on top of my deck, which hurts a LOT. Keep in mind that Sea Hag makes you discard the top card precisely to avoid stacking curses on top of the deck. Putting two junk cards on top also makes stealing drawing cards a lot worse - it basically makes Smithy draw just 1 useful card. Effectively, I've taken -3VP over the normal curse, AND mucked up my deck, just to steal an action that's probably weak to begin with, while hitting my opponent with a fairly weak attack.

Even if I do want to steal the action, I can realistically only use this card 5 times in 2-player until there aren't enough curses to activate the action. Furthermore, these are going out in games that already have cursers, so I'm probably getting less than 5 plays out of this unless everyone is taking Envies instead of curses all the time. I don't think you'd ever run out a pile of 10 Envies, since it's is very much worse than a curse (I won't say strictly for fear of trolls) if the ability can't be activated.

Jsketchy

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:15 pm »

New version:

Abridged:

http://imgur.com/a/QGbmY
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.