Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Your" Inherited Fortress  (Read 5317 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
"Your" Inherited Fortress
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:23:36 pm »
+9

I just discovered that if you trash an Estate-Fortress, it comes into your hand, but is no longer "yours" per the rules, so it's just a plain old Estate.

Of course it's just an oversight in the rules:

Quote from: Adventures rulebook
An Estate is yours if either it started in your deck, or you gained it or bought it, or you were passed it with Masquerade. An Estate stops being yours if you trash it, return it to the Supply, pass it with Masquerade, or are stopped from gaining it due to Possession or Trader.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: "Your" Inherited Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:30:38 pm »
+2

And the same applies if your Inherited card (whatever it is, for instance an Estate-Smithy) is trashed when you're Possessed. You get it back as a plain Estate.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:57:16 pm »
+3

We discussed this here!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:39:15 pm »
+1

I think the best rule for this would be something like:

An Estate is yours when it's in your deck, hand, discard pile or play area. It's also yours when you set it aside or put it on your Tavern mat. An Estate is also yours when you buy it, but stops being yours if you fail to subsequently gain it.

That should cover all the corner cases.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:13 pm »

Nice catch, but the spirit of the rule should surely include a card in your hand or deck as being "yours", even if its manner of entering your possession was not covered explicitly by the FAQ.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:31 am »

I think the best rule for this would be something like:

An Estate is yours when it's in your deck, hand, discard pile or play area. It's also yours when you set it aside or put it on your Tavern mat. An Estate is also yours when you buy it, but stops being yours if you fail to subsequently gain it.

That should cover all the corner cases.

Probably should be any mat of yours.  And I don't think that really covers the Fortress case.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:31 am »

Probably should be any mat of yours.  And I don't think that really covers the Fortress case.

Native Village and Island tells you to set the card aside.
Why doesn't it cover the Fortress case? It's put into your hand.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:45:36 am »

Native Village and Island tells you to set the card aside.
Why doesn't it cover the Fortress case? It's put into your hand.

Eh, fair enough, but saying "any mat" is clearer and probably better for future-proofing.

And I just realized I was mixing up this topic with the question of how Inherited Fortress still has the on-trash ability when it's technically no longer yours after you trash it.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »
+3

I just discovered that if you trash an Estate-Fortress, it comes into your hand, but is no longer "yours" per the rules, so it's just a plain old Estate.

An Estate is yours if either it started in your deck, or you gained it or bought it, or you were passed it with Masquerade. An Estate stops being yours if you trash it, return it to the Supply, pass it with Masquerade, or are stopped from gaining it due to Possession or Trader.
Correct, Fortress returning to your hand becomes yours again and the Adventures rulebook does not cover this; ditto cards returned with Possession.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 03:09:18 pm »

Correct, Fortress returning to your hand becomes yours again and the Adventures rulebook does not cover this; ditto cards returned with Possession.
Can we get a clarification for cards bought but not gained also? e.g. Messenger gaining Border Village for both players (w/ Quarry in play), and your opponent choosing the last Messenger before you can gain it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »
+2

Can we get a clarification for cards bought but not gained also? e.g. Messenger gaining Border Village for both players (w/ Quarry in play), and your opponent choosing the last Messenger before you can gain it?

What's the question? If the card is yours? That should be obviously not. The rules do specify that cards stop being yours if you are prevented from gaining them, listing Trader and Possession as examples. Even without rules defining "yours", I don't think anyone would argue that a card sitting in someone else's deck is actually yours because you bought it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »
+5

Even without rules defining "yours", I don't think anyone would argue that a card sitting in someone else's deck is actually yours because you bought it.

Ah, so that was you, that guy that left at the end of our recent game night with a bunch of our cards, believing them to be his rightful property just because we let him play with them for a while.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 04:11:14 pm »

The rules do specify that cards stop being yours if you are prevented from gaining them, listing Trader and Possession as examples.

(Well, the rules specify that cards stop being yours if you are prevented from gaining them because of Trader and Possession; it doesn't say they stop being yours if you're prevented from gaining them for other reasons.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
+4

Is this for a citation for a wiki or what? Any case where obviously the card is yours, it is. Any case where obviously the card isn't, it isn't.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.