Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Author Topic: Cards you hate!  (Read 101487 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you hate!
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

This has to be the most ridiculous thread I've read since that one about the frequency of three pile endings in high level games being basically 0 (on bgg I think).

ooh! anyone know where i can find this thread?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:57 am »

This has to be the most ridiculous thread I've read since that one about the frequency of three pile endings in high level games being basically 0 (on bgg I think).

I second the motion.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:27 am »

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1369555/2-player-game
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2015, 12:03:40 pm »

He doesn't know what he's talking about.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2015, 02:12:08 pm »
+6

Yes, but what makes for a classic internet argument is that he doesn't know that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2015, 02:31:18 pm »
+1

Yes, but what makes for a classic internet argument is that he doesn't know that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

That reminds me:

Ugh. The plural of anecdote is not data.

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

RE: That BGG post.

Insert sarcastic comment about wanting those braincells back  ::)

I will say this tracks with my own experience: as our group gets better (I still wouldn't even think of trying tournament-level myself) we're ending on three-pile more often - we mentioned it at this weekend's game which technically ended with Province as the third pile (our first time trying Duke).  It makes a kind of sense: if certain cards are better, the better players are going to tend to buy the same cards and hence the chance of a 3-pile would go up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:45:42 pm by TheEmerged »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:16 pm »

It makes a kind of sense: if certain cards are better, the better players are going to tend to buy the same cards and hence the chance of a 3-pile would go up.

Perhaps more importantly, new players are more likely to buy stuff at random or buy a lot of Treasures and Provinces, while experienced players are more likely to go for strategies that require many copies of specific kingdom cards, are capable of having a lot of control over the piles being emptied, and don't necessarily even need Provinces at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »
+2

Skilled players are almost more likely to recognize (and actively try to recognize) when they can end the game via 3-pile and win.  Beginners, OTOH, often take it as a rule of thumb that getting more points is always better, so they might buy a Province when they could have emptied a pile to win, or when they should have bought Duchies instead, etc.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:29 am »

Chancellor isn't weak.  Insta-shuffle is a thumbs up in my book.  It's just that it's weak relative to other $3 terminals.
I wouldn't even say that. I think it's fairly average compared to most $3 terminals (there really aren't many). The problem is it doesn't measure up to any other terminals - it's not the cost that's the issue, it's the fact it has to compete with all possible terminals. That's why most $2 are cantrip-like.

Would Chancellor be decent (almost too good maybe?) if it had a +Action?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:46 am »

Chancellor isn't weak.  Insta-shuffle is a thumbs up in my book.  It's just that it's weak relative to other $3 terminals.
I wouldn't even say that. I think it's fairly average compared to most $3 terminals (there really aren't many). The problem is it doesn't measure up to any other terminals - it's not the cost that's the issue, it's the fact it has to compete with all possible terminals. That's why most $2 are cantrip-like.

At $?! Yeah, it would! That's like a Silver that can discard with little downside limited to edge cases.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2015, 12:18:13 am »

At $?! Yeah, it would! That's like a Silver that can discard with little downside limited to edge cases.

Like Smithy and Witch?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:07 am »
+1

Like Smithy and Witch?

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2015, 12:17:44 am »
+3

Chancellor with +Action would almost certainly have to cost $5, because all Silver-With-a-Bonus cards (both Actions and Treasures) cost $5, barring Conspirator, which needs enablers. It would probably be in the bottom tier of $5 cards, just as it presently is a weak $3, and might not compete any better against Messenger and Scavenger than it already does (because you don't want many of those in your deck either). So on balance, it would probably be worse as a $5 nonterminal than it presently is at $3 and terminal.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2015, 05:47:05 am »
+4

I don't like Black market at all. Sometimes it's a pretty cool card because you are able to play your treasures earlier. This is awesome in Draw to X or in DoubleTactician for example. But the main effect is ridiculous. Some cards of the BM deck are usually just game changing and give you a free win. Just a few examples:
- Tournament
- Goons
- Villages or even Crossroad in a Kingdom with awesome Terminals and without Villages
- Chapel (in you hit it early)
- Mountebank
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2015, 06:35:48 pm »
+1

Duke blows

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2015, 02:24:14 am »
+9

Duke blows

Duke is an awesome card.
it was a joke based on my avatar. You see, my avatar is a duke, so presumably, I am fond of duke (I am).
I figured it would be humorous if I feigned dislike of duke while my avatar indicated quite the contrary. Based on the number of upvotes I got, I was wrong.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2015, 02:28:50 am »
+1

I don't like Cultist. I won with it, and a potential friend I could have made didn't happen because I won the Ruins split 8/2. (Then again, he got 3 Feasts. I opened Feast Silver, which was nice and dandy, but only Silver after that.) Anyways, after I won the ruins split, he said, and I quote: "You win, because fuck you."

I don't like Cultist.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2015, 08:21:00 am »

Duke blows

Duke is an awesome card.
it was a joke based on my avatar. You see, my avatar is a duke, so presumably, I am fond of duke (I am).
I figured it would be humorous if I feigned dislike of duke while my avatar indicated quite the contrary. Based on the number of upvotes I got, I was wrong.

Dukedom good didn't you

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:37 am »

Duke blows

Duke is an awesome card.

We don't One does not get jokes here so it was very insightful of you to explain it.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:25 pm »
+2

I don't like Black market at all. Sometimes it's a pretty cool card because you are able to play your treasures earlier. This is awesome in Draw to X or in DoubleTactician for example. But the main effect is ridiculous. Some cards of the BM deck are usually just game changing and give you a free win. Just a few examples:
- Tournament
- Goons
- Villages or even Crossroad in a Kingdom with awesome Terminals and without Villages
- Mountebank

Buying the last Province while your opponent has at most a 5-point lead is also game-changing and gives you a free win. Now what can you to make it so that you're more likely to get that opportunity than your opponent is?

Similarly, what can you do to make it so that you're more likely to get some great cards out of the Black Market than your opponent is?

The answer to those two questions is more or less the same and is what Dominion is all about.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:03 pm »

- Tournament
- Goons
- Mountebank

Buying the last Province while your opponent has at most a 5-point lead is also game-changing and gives you a free win. Now what can you to make it so that you're more likely to get that opportunity than your opponent is?

Similarly, what can you do to make it so that you're more likely to get some great cards out of the Black Market than your opponent is?

The answer to those two questions is more or less the same and is what Dominion is all about.

I've tracked the BM before, playing it or not playing specifically sometimes (even if it hurts me) to stop my opponent from getting a card.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2015, 01:02:23 pm »
+9

- Tournament
- Goons
- Mountebank

Buying the last Province while your opponent has at most a 5-point lead is also game-changing and gives you a free win.
oh I can't stand provinces, dont even get me started.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2015, 01:08:32 pm »

- Tournament
- Goons
- Mountebank

Buying the last Province while your opponent has at most a 5-point lead is also game-changing and gives you a free win.
oh I can't stand provinces, dont even get me started.

But you also think Dukes blow. You also hate Estates because they're junk cards. So what do you like?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.