Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Cards you hate!  (Read 101808 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you hate!
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2015, 04:32:29 pm »

I'm of the "This is a sentence". camp).

That makes no sense. The string "This is a sentence" is not a sentence - it needs a period to be complete. If you're trying to do logical punctuation, you should have written "I'm of the "This is a sentence." camp.".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

That's the one with the douchebag creator who ripped off a Dominion fan's artwork, right?

Yes.

For those who aren't aware:

Fan-made Dominion chip set (first):

Puzzle Strike (second):

Woah, until now I thought that people who were complaining that Puzzle Strike was a ripoff of the fan-made Dominion set were just talking about the concept of using round chips instead of cards. I didn't know until just now that the actual design/art of the chips was the same.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »

Chancellor isn't weak.  Insta-shuffle is a thumbs up in my book.  It's just that it's weak relative to other $3 terminals.
I wouldn't even say that. I think it's fairly average compared to most $3 terminals (there really aren't many). The problem is it doesn't measure up to any other terminals - it's not the cost that's the issue, it's the fact it has to compete with all possible terminals. That's why most $2 are cantrip-like.

Upgrade is probably mine. I really don't like it, I honestly don't feel like it's good, but I keep losing to it so I'm obviously wrong. :)

Edit:
I had no idea Puzzle Strike was inspired by a fan-made Dominion thing! I do enjoy that game, I have to admit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:06:06 pm by ancientcampus »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2015, 11:32:31 pm »
+2

"inspired"

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2015, 12:55:55 am »

That's the one with the douchebag creator who ripped off a Dominion fan's artwork, right?

Yes.

For those who aren't aware:

Fan-made Dominion chip set (first):

Puzzle Strike (second):

Woah, until now I thought that people who were complaining that Puzzle Strike was a ripoff of the fan-made Dominion set were just talking about the concept of using round chips instead of cards. I didn't know until just now that the actual design/art of the chips was the same.

Wait, how are you supposed to react to Spy or the likes using chips?
removed by user

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:52 am »
+2

"inspired"

Welcome to "Euphemisms for beginners":

• The Butler is the murderer The Butler is likely involved in this untimely demise.
  • You're late for the course! It's good to see we are all here now.
  • Greece's economy is falling apart Greece's economy is being restructured
  • Sirlin is a lowly thief Sirlin takes inspiration from a variety of things.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:16:25 am by Asper »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
+1

I'm of the "This is a sentence". camp).

That makes no sense. The string "This is a sentence" is not a sentence - it needs a period to be complete. If you're trying to do logical punctuation, you should have written "I'm of the "This is a sentence." camp.".
Oh geez, uh, hrmmm...

That stil looks weird , because inserting "I'm of the "This is a sentence." camp." as a quote makes it so that the explanation inside the quotations is no longer interpreted as my explanation. Stylistically, I should have done "I'm of the <"This is a sentence".> camp.". That's if I understand your post correctly. If you actually wanted me to write:

...I'm of the "This is a sentence." camp.

Then that's just not an example of logical punctuation anymore.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2015, 11:34:48 am »

oh man i see some Legendary Game Designer David Sirlin talk

that guy truly is a freaking legend in the fighting-game scene, for some right reasons and many wrong ones.  i could write a novel about  this, but i'll just say that he tried to improve one of the longest-lasting games in that genre and failed so miserably that everyone went back to the original after a year or two.  he's also the mastermind behind Chess 2~

btw he wrote a hilariously awful article bashing dominion to hype up his game, including such gems as "starting with junk cards is bad design (because Reasons)".  in fairness it was written before quite a few expansions came out, but i think cards like apothecary and baron were already around and he just ignored their existence when calling copper & estates completely useless.  it appears to be gone now though...

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »

that guy truly is a freaking legend in the fighting-game scene, for some right reasons and many wrong ones.  i could write a novel about  this, but i'll just say that he tried to improve one of the longest-lasting games in that genre and failed so miserably that everyone went back to the original after a year or two.  he's also the mastermind behind Chess 2~

btw he wrote a hilariously awful article bashing dominion to hype up his game, including such gems as "starting with junk cards is bad design (because Reasons)".  in fairness it was written before quite a few expansions came out, but i think cards like apothecary and baron were already around and he just ignored their existence when calling copper & estates completely useless.  it appears to be gone now though...

If I were him, and people were tearing me a third asshole for bashing Dominion, I'd try to hide it too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2015, 03:53:28 pm »
+2

His idea of a "scrub" who gets pissy when he loses to people who are, you know, playing the game as intended while screaming bloody murder about "honor" or whatever makes total sense.

His scavenging of game ideas without any attribution is despicable.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:08 pm »
+2

If I were him, and people were tearing me a third asshole for bashing Dominion, I'd try to hide it too.

He probably learned from the time he got the second one.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2015, 05:21:11 pm »
+2

Nope. I hear he has 8 now.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2015, 11:04:31 pm »

you don't realize how true that statement is

i have a story i really really want to post right here, but i've only heard it secondhand and don't wanna risk publicly posting BS.  have gotten burned on that a number of times...

EDIT: ok, to actually post something on-topic, here's a bit of food for thought

in some random video (forget if it was one of his own or another player's), wanderingwinder opines that swindler isn't as swingy as a number of other cards and gets complaints just because its effects feel worse.  he goes on to say that urchin is worse because double-urchin opening gives you a near-50% chance of getting a mercenary on the second shuffle, which means it has the highest chance of one player getting it and the other getting screwed.  wonder how yall feel about that logic!

also, i wonder how the odds on familiar compare.  that one feels right up there with merc to me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:14:22 pm by funkdoc »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2015, 09:04:57 am »
+1

If he has 8, does that mean the 8th one has a name that starts with P?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08:19 pm »

If he has 8, does that mean the 8th one has a name that starts with P?

Yes but only because the surgery to make the 8th hole cost exactly $8.
For the name I suggest Poohole.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:12:51 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »
+1

I just realized David Sirlin wrote that book 'Playing To Win', which I actually liked when I was much younger. I guess I'd better reread it, because Sirlin is NEVER right.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2015, 02:56:26 pm »

I just realized David Sirlin wrote that book 'Playing To Win', which I actually liked when I was much younger. I guess I'd better reread it, because Sirlin is NEVER right.

There's actually nothing wrong with Playing To Win.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2015, 02:59:29 pm »
+2

There's actually nothing wrong with Playing To Win.

Other than the fact that it creates a pejorative label ("scrub") that you can easily apply to people in order to marginalize them and their opinions.

I haven't read the book; just going by his article of the same name.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »
+1

Man, Dominion is a weird favorite game for some of you folks who hate swingy-ness so much.

What happened to YMYOSL?

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »
+1

Man, Dominion is a weird favorite game for some of you folks who hate swingy-ness so much.

What happened to YMYOSL?

Nothing happened, it was just never entirely true.  Anyway swingy-ness isn't a yes-or-no measure, it's a continuum.  That's why some people play roulette, some play Dominion with more swingy cards, some with less swingy cards, and some of us play Go.  (Not an exhaustive list of games people play.)
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2015, 08:13:27 pm »

I don't know if you guys even want this discussion to revolve around the cards you hate anymore but I just need an outlet for my frustration: I. Hate. Warrior.

I really hate it.

What was Donald thinking?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2015, 08:17:07 pm »

I don't know if you guys even want this discussion to revolve around the cards you hate anymore but I just need an outlet for my frustration: I. Hate. Warrior.

I really hate it.

I think any card that trashes a card off the top of your deck in general is oppressive. Knights, Saboteur, Swindler, Warrior.. All of them suck.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:26 am »
+2

Maybe I should make this in the form of the unpopular opinion potion meme, but trashing attacks are fine and the ones that Donald has published are all very reasonable.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2015, 09:21:32 am »
+1

I really hate it.

I think any card that trashes a card off the top of your deck in general is oppressive. Knights, Saboteur, Swindler, Warrior.. All of them suck.

Dude, have you not played with Giant yet?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:45 am »

Maybe I should make this in the form of the unpopular opinion potion meme, but trashing attacks are fine and the ones that Donald has published are all very reasonable.

It's the combination of Warrior and Page that's so terrible. I don't mind trashing attack that much. I love Swindler; it doesn't reduce your deck size. But it's so easy to trash 2-4 cards of your opponents' decks wit Warrior each turn, including their Warriors and Treasure Hunters to make sure they never get a Champion. And in a game I played recently, most decent cards cost $3 and $4 and Warrior was the strongest card available. My whole economy got trashed and it just sucked. Only Saboteur might be able to do such a thing but it's so much harder and slower and often not worth it. With Warrior it's a no-brainer.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Page created in 2.863 seconds with 22 queries.