Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Scout is bad, not horrible?  (Read 39458 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Re: Scout is bad, not horrible?
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2015, 06:17:37 am »
+1

For what it's worth, I have replaced the Scouts in my physical set with a version that gives +$1 and is otherwise identical. So far it's been seeming very reasonable.

We let it see 5 cards and also grab Curses - it gets from horribleland to prettybadland.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2015, 09:51:51 am »

Princed Scout isn't terrible, if you really want to do that.

Well, it isn't terrible if you really want to do that. You probably don't, because it's usually terrible.

Depending on the game state, Prince of Scout is better than Prince of nothing. Obviously if you get a Scout just to prince it, you are skipping the chance to get Prince of something-better-than-Scout.

I don't know, making the top of your deck more reliable while giving an extra action is kind of strong.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
+6

Depending on the game state, Prince of Scout is better than Prince of nothing. Obviously if you get a Scout just to prince it, you are skipping the chance to get Prince of something-better-than-Scout.

Prince of nothing is an $8 one-shot Confusion. It's not very difficult to be better than that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:15 am »

Prince of nothing is an $8 one-shot Confusion. It's not very difficult to be better than that.

lol'd at 1-shot Confusion
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2015, 11:29:03 am »

Um, yeah, sorry. What i meant was "not Princing anything", but of course that's not what i actually said. I think having Prince missing a better card and waiting for another shuffle is a real problem, though. Again, not that you'd want a Scout just so you have one more card you could possibly Prince, there's practically always a better option.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:04 am »
+1

Um, yeah, sorry. What i meant was "not Princing anything", but of course that's not what i actually said. I think having Prince missing a better card and waiting for another shuffle is a real problem, though. Again, not that you'd want a Scout just so you have one more card you could possibly Prince, there's practically always a better option.

Yeah, and this is assuming you even want Prince, which itself is a weak card with a high opportunity cost. I don't think Prince makes you more likely to want Scout, and I don't think Scout makes you more likely to want Prince.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2015, 11:53:53 am »

The best plausible reason I can think of for using Prince of Scouts is a solid Goons engine where it is the only Village.  Even that might not be good enough if there is anything else decent going on.  Outside of that I have to believe that getting a Prince at all would be a horrible mistake if Scout is its best target.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2015, 03:24:04 pm »
+1

The best plausible reason I can think of for using Prince of Scouts is a solid Goons engine where it is the only Village.  Even that might not be good enough if there is anything else decent going on.  Outside of that I have to believe that getting a Prince at all would be a horrible mistake if Scout is its best target.

To play devil's advocate, I've Princed many a Vagrant, Candlestick Maker, Pearl Diver, etc. in my day solely for the villageness.  It is rare but, like anything in Dominion, has its place.  I would actually think that in the situation you described -- a Goons game -- Provinces are generally worse than they normally are because of the alt VP that Goons can get you, and so Princes are a bit more tempting to buy over a Province.  Especially if there are no villages.

But now we're getting into the realm of 3-card-synergies (Prince+Cantrip+Goons), with the additional constraint that there be no other villages.  So you're gonna see this in like 1 out of a thousand games.  I wouldn't count on it.

Scout sucks.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »

To play devil's advocate, I've Princed many a Vagrant, Candlestick Maker, Pearl Diver, etc. in my day solely for the villageness.  It is rare but, like anything in Dominion, has its place.  I would actually think that in the situation you described -- a Goons game -- Provinces are generally worse than they normally are because of the alt VP that Goons can get you, and so Princes are a bit more tempting to buy over a Province.  Especially if there are no villages.

But now we're getting into the realm of 3-card-synergies (Prince+Cantrip+Goons), with the additional constraint that there be no other villages.  So you're gonna see this in like 1 out of a thousand games.  I wouldn't count on it.

Scout sucks.
You don't have to count on it, but this is just another case where Scout is good.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2015, 12:12:40 am »

I'm quit curious how this board looks like, where you want to go goons engine via princes scouts without villages, cantrips (you want to Prince them over scout) and kc/tr (don't need no villages)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2015, 04:13:58 am »
+9

Prince of scout is awesome. your get a little bonus every turn and you get that scout out of your deck that you accidently bought because of a missclick or that was swindled in your deck. I think getting the scout out of the deck is the better part here even.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2015, 09:06:09 am »
+2

I'm quit curious how this board looks like, where you want to go goons engine via princes scouts without villages, cantrips (you want to Prince them over scout) and kc/tr (don't need no villages)

I'm curious what it looks like as well.  I feel like it probably exists, but am not certain.  I suspect it would look something like this:
Scout, Prince, Goons, Chapel, Watchtower

Fill out with worthless cards, or possibly add in some of:
$5 Smithy variant: This may help a non-engine too much and the engine not enough
Outpost: Seems like it would help here (Princed Watchtower!)
Cursing Attack: To slow non-engine strategies further

couch

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »

Frankly, since the onset of Events with which we have the possibility of having Scouting Party on the board, we have removed Scout from rotation.  The situation where anyone will buy it over other actions or silver is just too rare.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2015, 07:15:03 pm »
+1

Princing your Scout is a great move. It's gets the Scout out of your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »

No, I think it's slightly better than that. It's as if you play a Village every turn, and the deck inspection/green clearing is a good benefit.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2015, 07:26:37 pm »
+3

No, I think it's slightly better than that. It's as if you play a Village every turn, and the deck inspection/green clearing is a good benefit.
Prince of Scouts is a decent effect. It's just an effect that pales by comparison with Prince of Smithies, or Prince of Monuments, or Prince of Militias, or Prince of Worker's Villages, or... (you get the idea).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »

Prince of Scouts is a decent effect. It's just an effect that pales by comparison with Prince of Smithies, or Prince of Monuments, or Prince of Militias, or Prince of Worker's Villages, or... (you get the idea).

Or even Prince of Pearl Divers.  Or Prince of Moats even, that's a permanent Wharf.

Prince of Scouts is much better than Prince of Secret Chambers though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:10 pm »
+2

No matter how many times we might want to justify buying scout it never shines,  even when it can be used to draw duel type victory cards.  (Which in my opinion  is when it's at its best and what I think it was originally designed for.)  this still doesn't make it a good card.  And when a card can't even shine once, that's when you know it's awful.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2015, 09:50:43 pm »
+2

Mystic just likes non-terminal deck-inspection, period.  I would rather have a Spy than Scout in that instance.  I'd certainly rather have a Cartographer.  Scout is just hurt so much by not being a cantrip.

Usually a Cartographer you gain could have been a Mystic; Scout is meaningfully cheaper.

One Scout can do the work of several Spies. I'm pretty sure if all three (Scout, Spy, Mystic) were on the board, I'd buy Scout over Spy every time.

Okay; so this is the apparently the perfect time to reveal The Worst Game of Dominion EvAR!!

Honestly, I am sure I must have been drunk, or maybe my cat played this game for me. That said, it is the amazing Scout/Spy/Mystic board that is being discussed, and so I can at least share that:

Code: [Select]
University, Remake, Scout, Spy, Journeyman, Mystic, Saboteur, Fairgrounds, Grand Market, Hunting Grounds
Okay, so that's a kind of funky board. But I don't feel it really explains this monstrosity:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141104/log.516df219e4b082c74d7ce4ed.1415139377507.txt

All that said...my opponent does demonstrate that sweet Scout/Mystic move. Hell, he or she even gained Scout with University.

And now I retreat again in shame.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2015, 11:45:49 pm »

Mystic just likes non-terminal deck-inspection, period.  I would rather have a Spy than Scout in that instance.  I'd certainly rather have a Cartographer.  Scout is just hurt so much by not being a cantrip.

Usually a Cartographer you gain could have been a Mystic; Scout is meaningfully cheaper.

One Scout can do the work of several Spies. I'm pretty sure if all three (Scout, Spy, Mystic) were on the board, I'd buy Scout over Spy every time.

Okay; so this is the apparently the perfect time to reveal The Worst Game of Dominion EvAR!!

Honestly, I am sure I must have been drunk, or maybe my cat played this game for me. That said, it is the amazing Scout/Spy/Mystic board that is being discussed, and so I can at least share that:

Code: [Select]
University, Remake, Scout, Spy, Journeyman, Mystic, Saboteur, Fairgrounds, Grand Market, Hunting Grounds
Okay, so that's a kind of funky board. But I don't feel it really explains this monstrosity:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141104/log.516df219e4b082c74d7ce4ed.1415139377507.txt

All that said...my opponent does demonstrate that sweet Scout/Mystic move. Hell, he or she even gained Scout with University.

lol

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2015, 12:12:53 am »
+1

Maybe if those 3 Spies had also been Scouts...

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:57 am »

Or those five Saboteurs (at one point; I snagged one with one of my Sabs). Honestly, this game was a nightmare.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:43 am »
+1

IIRC, I think that in my few hundreds games of online Dominion, I've played Scout exactly once (and even that was BoM as Scout). Like everything else in Dominion, I guess Scout has its uses, but in this particular case - it's so niche that you'd have to design a board for it.

With that said, I think Scoiut should be evaluated while keeping in mind and expansion it was a part of - Intrigue; which can also be played as a standalone game. And in such surroundings, Scout is better than usual (which is admittedly, not saying a lot), as it has much better chances of being part of the same board as Nobles, Great Hall, Harem, Wishing Well...

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2015, 07:57:31 am »

I've mentioned this before, but if you want to see scout be good, try playing the intrigue campaigns on goko. I feel like a lot of those kingdoms were designed to make scout good.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2015, 11:12:01 am »

I think if he would've read all the information here then tried to do that sweet strategy, he would've won.

Or those five Saboteurs (at one point; I snagged one with one of my Sabs). Honestly, this game was a nightmare.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 2.716 seconds with 20 queries.