Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why did this go so badly for me?  (Read 2174 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Why did this go so badly for me?
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/03/game-20120103-104245-f94bb034.html

My plan (playing as Fin Fang Foom) was to use Embassies to skip past the crud in my deck and get Golds from Tunnels.  Despite having three Embassies and seven Tunnels, I only managed to get three golds.  Was this just bad luck, or is this strategy just bad?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:41:35 pm by catsclaw »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Why did this go so badly for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:58:23 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/03/game-20120103-104245-f94bb034.html

My plan was to use Embassies to skip past the crud in my deck and get Golds from Tunnels.  Despite having three Embassies and seven Tunnels, I only managed to get three golds.  Was this just bad luck, or is this strategy just bad?

I would have picked up a Hamlet or 2 if you could... maybe even instead of your opening Silver. The +Actions would have let you play more than 1 Embassy on a turn, as well as given another way to discard Tunnel.

But, as a whole, it looks like your strategy and execution should have been strong... so probably some bad luck in there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »

First off, you want to say that you're Fin Fang Foom there; it was a little confusing at first to figure out who you were.
Embassy/Tunnel can be really strong, but a) you can probably tell something's wrong based on you having to buy three embassies. You shouldn't get to that third one really because you ought to be raking provinces by then. b) The big thing here is the witches. You don't want the embassy so early first of all because you want gold more, but moreso you're going to get a lot of terminal collision going on there, and until the curses are gone, you really really want to play that witch a lot, which the embassies actually hurt. c) It does look like you got slightly unlucky. But the big thing is the witch. Probably I would totally ignore tunnel/embassy at least until the curses are mostly run out, quite possibly longer depending on the state of the game at that point.
Though as GendoIkari points out, hamlet could *possibly* have helped you out too.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »

The simulator agrees with GendoIkari. Take an even mix of hamlets and tunnels. This turns your losing strategy (40/60) into a winning one (55/45).

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:25:06 pm »

Yeah, I think that GendoIkari and DG are right, and more specifically, the answer is actually fairly simple: you've got a lot of terminal +cards (3 Embassies and a Witch) and no village-like cards.  This is never a good idea.

I think you also went overboard on the Tunnels.  The thing about Tunnels is that they ARE dead cards if you can't discard them.  You bought seven of them.  You should've concentrated on getting your deck to turn over quickly with Hamlets + Embassies to turn a smaller number of Tunnels into a larger number of Golds.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.