Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fool's Gold, ACTIVATE!  (Read 3847 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Fool's Gold, ACTIVATE!
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:38:33 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Vineyard, Poor House, Fool's Gold, Forager, Envoy, Remake, Spice Merchant, Council Room, Trading Post, Peddler

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150526/log.50cae34ce4b0c3bfb6b97473.1432693148938.txt

BM really is the way to go here, and my plan was to thin down, and just play Envoy as my terminal, drawing so much coin, that it didn't matter what my opponent denied. I was going to just play with money, and then Hyphen decided to go for the FG. I realized I had to contest them or possibly fall way behind, and I had a secondary plan to trash them when Hyphen bought a Province, to help boost my Forager. I do wish I got a second Forager, and I think that may have been a mistake to not get the second Forager, but I think I played well overall.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Fool's Gold, ACTIVATE!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:54 pm »
+1

I see this board and I think "open Remake (or SM)/Forager, grab all the Peddlers, and maybe FG with extra buys."  At no point do I get an Envoy.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »

It's possible that Council Room-Fool's Gold can outrace Vineyards here. In fact, I'd probably go for the money strategy. FG seems too strong uncontested. No +Actions means you have no way to increase hand size, which makes it hard to get enough +Buy on this board.

I'm not optimistic about Remake/Poor House compared to Council Room-FG.

For a lot of Big Money strategies, using Fool's Gold beats the plain Silver/Gold strategy if I remember right, because in a BM mirror you have to enable your opponent's Fool's Gold reactions, and that gives the FG player more longevity. I think those sim results are out of date though, so I could be wrong.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:31 pm »
+1

I see this board and I think "open Remake (or SM)/Forager, grab all the Peddlers, and maybe FG with extra buys."  At no point do I get an Envoy.

I think remak....crap.  Poor Houses.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:34:11 pm »

Envoy is draw, draw is fantastic in BM.

Poor House is on the board, otherwise I'd have opened Forager/Remake.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:34:33 pm »

I think remak....crap.  Poor Houses.

And you beat me to the punch. :p

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:01 pm »

Best trasher hindered by Poor House, no villages...this doesn't sound like a board where engine would be optimal. I guess you could use Foragers to thin, then buy mass Peddlers, then add additional payload if necessary, but that seems outclassed by Council Room + FG. Ditto Vineyard strategy.

I'd open either CR/FG or SM/FG with later transition into Council Room.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:46:44 pm »

Spice Merchant/Forager, then.  This is a board with four trashers, two of which are non-terminal.  Hell, I might just open double Forager.  If they line up, I pick up my first Peddler, and that makes the next one all the easier.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:49:07 am »

Spice Merchant/Forager, then.  This is a board with four trashers, two of which are non-terminal.  Hell, I might just open double Forager.  If they line up, I pick up my first Peddler, and that makes the next one all the easier.

I opened Spice Merchant/Forager

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:49 am »
+1

Well I also open Spice/Forager, likely a second Forager, and contest both the FG and Peddlers.

I don't like terminal draw here.
My opponent has more loot than me

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »

Well I also open Spice/Forager, likely a second Forager, and contest both the FG and Peddlers.

I don't like terminal draw here.

I agree. This seems like the winning plan. And since you're getting all those Peddlers, and you have Forager(s) and Spice Merchant, you aren't going to want any terminal draw.

Terminal draw does go well the FG, of course, but the trashing, Forager especially, really makes Peddler a thing here and then that overcomes the need for draw.

But even if I was playing terminal draw FG, I would rather wait for a $5 hand and buy Council Room than stick with Envoy, I think.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:44:31 pm »

I played the board a few times and the FG+Council Room seemed very close to the Peddler strategy. Both were viable. I think I'd go for FG though because it was capable of double-province turns. For sure I'd go FG on a 5/2 opening.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.