Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: board game suggestions?  (Read 9035 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: board game suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 10:56:16 pm »
+1

Also, why are people hesitant to recommend Dominion? It totally meets the criteria you've been describing. He doesn't even seem to like the other games he mentioned all that much.

What criteria are you talking about?  3+ players, could include card-based games with no board?  Strategic?  Those are extremely vague criteria.  The only other criteria listed are just games that OP specifically says he liked, none of which are much like Dominion as far as I can tell.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 11:11:07 pm »

Also, why are people hesitant to recommend Dominion? It totally meets the criteria you've been describing. He doesn't even seem to like the other games he mentioned all that much.

What criteria are you talking about?  3+ players, could include card-based games with no board?  Strategic?  Those are extremely vague criteria.  The only other criteria listed are just games that OP specifically says he liked, none of which are much like Dominion as far as I can tell.
Well, there's this:
But in particular something with strategy, specifically where there's not just one or two clearly superior strategies that, once all players have figured that out, there's no point in deviating from it, and the game just becomes luck once you know what everybody is going to do every play session. 

I suppose a game like that would have to have some way of randomizing the start conditions.
It almost feels like he's talking about Dominion! And others said that:
Dominion might not work so well
I would understand if it's not your cup of tea.
Which, while I took these entirely out of context, suggest that Dominion might not be what he's looking for. Well, I think it's more likely to be what he's looking for than anything else! Each of the games that he mentioned that aren't like Dominion he said he doesn't actually like anymore for various reasons. And besides, those are the classic games, clearly he is interested in getting into a deeper sort of game.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 11:12:05 pm »

Farming reputation isn't working anymore.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:25 pm »

Quote from: Drab Emordnilap
That's crazy. If you google "board game forum", this forum is like the 5th result! How did this happen, guys?

Not from this incognito session.  Looks like Google knows you.

That was a search in incognito mode.

Wait a second here! That's Comic Sans!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:42 pm »
+2

Well, there's this:
But in particular something with strategy, specifically where there's not just one or two clearly superior strategies that, once all players have figured that out, there's no point in deviating from it, and the game just becomes luck once you know what everybody is going to do every play session. 

I suppose a game like that would have to have some way of randomizing the start conditions.
It almost feels like he's talking about Dominion! And others said that:
Dominion might not work so well
I would understand if it's not your cup of tea.
Which, while I took these entirely out of context, suggest that Dominion might not be what he's looking for. Well, I think it's more likely to be what he's looking for than anything else! Each of the games that he mentioned that aren't like Dominion he said he doesn't actually like anymore for various reasons. And besides, those are the classic games, clearly he is interested in getting into a deeper sort of game.

Uh, did you notice how that post by the OP doesn't come until after our earlier suggestions?  You're criticizing us for being hesitant when the criteria you're citing wasn't available at that time.

As for the games he mentioned, he noted that he did enjoy them, and that he was looking for similar ones that didn't have certain problems that he described.  Dominion doesn't fit that criteria.

Oh, and the new criteria is actually still really vague.  Yeah Dominion fits it... and so do most of the games I suggested, and tons of other games.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:47:53 pm by eHalcyon »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 12:13:02 am »
+1

Wait a second here! That's Comic Sans!

Comic Sans is entirely appropriate for speech bubble style callouts. But witch hunts are fun, too.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 08:13:13 pm »
+3

Best Board Games:

Monopoly

Tic-Tac-Toe

Checkers

Candy Land

Snakes and Ladders
I feel quite strongly that Snakes and Ladders deserves the #4 spot.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.