Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some Card Ideas  (Read 4397 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Some Card Ideas
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:20:34 am »

Mill
$4
Action - Reserve

+1 Card
+1 Action

Put this on your Tavern mat.

At the start of your Buy Phase, you may call this for +1 Buy.
I posted a similar idea here under the name 'Sawmill' before Reserves had been created. Now using that mechanic, the card works much smoother.

Settlement
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions

When you gain this, gain a Copper.
I feel like this concept is too simple to not have been posted here before.

Anyway, thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:21:57 am by Archetype »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Some Card Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 12:56:13 am »
+2

A Reserve card that gives +1 Buy when you call it was one of Adventures' very early outtakes. It left the set almost immediately. It wasn't identical to your version, but I'm guessing it's close enough to be able to claim that it's not really worth doing. Maybe there's a way to fix it up.

Settlement seems fine, if not particularly exciting. I like how simple it is. It's the kind of card I'd put in a set, but always ready to replace it if some more exciting village wanted the slot.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:53:39 am »
+5

OMG, Settlement could have the same text as Border Village.

I mean, how often can you do that?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:18:40 am »
+1

On the assumption that the majority of the time someone would choose to gain a Copper instead of something else costing $0? (Or that it would only make a minor difference if they did have that option?) Perhaps, but it would fail under a few conditions, e.g. Ferry on a $2-or-$3-cost Action, Quarry.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 02:30:57 am »

On the assumption that the majority of the time someone would choose to gain a Copper instead of something else costing $0? (Or that it would only make a minor difference if they did have that option?) Perhaps, but it would fail under a few conditions, e.g. Ferry on a $2-or-$3-cost Action, Quarry.

Yes, I consider those minor differences. (Poor House is probably the biggest difference.)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:51:26 am »
+2

Yes, I consider those minor differences. (Poor House is probably the biggest difference.)
Yeah, edge cases just make the card more interesting, and the coolness of it having the same text as border village makes it totally worth it anyway.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:40:32 pm »

Quarry doesn't make a difference...

I bet Mill would be fine at $3.  Maybe even $2, though then it may be too easy to clean out the pile.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »
+1

It does! You avoid gaining the Copper.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:33:40 pm »

A Reserve card that gives +1 Buy when you call it was one of Adventures' very early outtakes. It left the set almost immediately. It wasn't identical to your version, but I'm guessing it's close enough to be able to claim that it's not really worth doing. Maybe there's a way to fix it up.
Hm, do you know why it was taken out?

Oh man, nice catch! It has edge cases, but keeps it more interesting that just "Gain a Copper".

I bet Mill would be fine at $3.  Maybe even $2, though then it may be too easy to clean out the pile.
We tested it at $3, but you couldn't call it for the +Buy on the same turn that you played it, but none of the other Reserve cards are worded like that (maybe, "When you discard this card from play, you may put it on your Tavern Mat?"). I made it $4 to keep it from being too similar to Market Square.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »
+1

Ooh, good point!

We tested it at $3, but you couldn't call it for the +Buy on the same turn that you played it, but none of the other Reserve cards are worded like that (maybe, "When you discard this card from play, you may put it on your Tavern Mat?"). I made it $4 to keep it from being too similar to Market Square.

That's not a good reason to increase the price!  It doesn't make it feel that different at all, especially between 3/4.  Making it $2 would be a bigger difference because the pile could drain very quickly compared to MS.  Or you make it something other than a cantrip, like +2 cards.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 05:32:19 pm »

Ooh, good point!

That's not a good reason to increase the price!  It doesn't make it feel that different at all, especially between 3/4.  Making it $2 would be a bigger difference because the pile could drain very quickly compared to MS.  Or you make it something other than a cantrip, like +2 cards.
I think if the focal point of a Reserve card is its call ability, the top part shouldn't be something significant. I also asked Donald here about that +Buy outtake and his answer seems to support my reasoning.

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it at $4 to keep it from being strictly better than Market Square if there is no way to trash cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 06:07:14 pm »

Ooh, good point!

I think if the focal point of a Reserve card is its call ability, the top part shouldn't be something significant. I also asked Donald here about that +Buy outtake and his answer seems to support my reasoning.

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it at $4 to keep it from being strictly better than Market Square if there is no way to trash cards.

Eh?  Donald's answer doesn't suggest that $4 is an appropriate price for it.  And being strictly better under specific conditions isn't really a problem.  Consider Fortress vs. Village when there's no TfB.  Or various villages vs. many other cards when there are no terminals.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »

Ooh, good point!

Eh?  Donald's answer doesn't suggest that $4 is an appropriate price for it.  And being strictly better under specific conditions isn't really a problem.  Consider Fortress vs. Village when there's no TfB.  Or various villages vs. many other cards when there are no terminals.
He does say that a +Buy Reserve card didn't work with +2 Cards but could work as a cantrip.

Fortress vs Village is a good point though. Hm. Yeah, $3 may end up being OK then.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:46 pm »

He does say that a +Buy Reserve card didn't work with +2 Cards but could work as a cantrip.

Fortress vs Village is a good point though. Hm. Yeah, $3 may end up being OK then.

Yeah I got that the +2 cards didn't work, it's just that it wasn't really connected to the point you made afterward re: price. :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:09 am »
+1

I probably would start testing Mill at $2. It might have to cost $3, I guess. At $4 it looks pretty bad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.