Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Silk Road  (Read 30674 times)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Silk Road
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 08:15:51 am »

but its aim is to buy a mass of VP as well. This is kinda the same just over time.

Expanding on this I'd say > 90% of dominion games are kinda the same ;-)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 08:18:52 am »

but its aim is to buy a mass of VP as well. This is kinda the same just over time.

Wow... have you actually played Dominion yet?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:50:27 am »

Not sure if you missed the context, but from the statement that accumulating VPs over time is kind of the same like a NV-Bridge megaturn it's not really hard to follow this. I would even go to 100%.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 03:47:17 pm »

Not sure if you missed the context, but from the statement that accumulating VPs over time is kind of the same like a NV-Bridge megaturn it's not really hard to follow this. I would even go to 100%.
Grammar Nazis. >.> Also, its closer to 95% because there are games won where you just go double witch and buy out 3 non-vp piles. Or there are games where you fail to realize how to use chapel and just trash all your cards >.>
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 07:23:25 pm »

Does Silk Road also Work With curse-givers?

Reasoning (somewhat oversimplified):
1. SR conflicts with fast engines and trashing; cursing cards prevent fast engines and slow down trashing.
2. Curse-givers tend to exhaust one pile on their own, making a SR/Duchy or SR/Estate rush much easier.
3. If you give your opponent all the Curses, chances are you're going to win anyway. If you don't, both your decks are likely to be junky. A junky deck has a hard time building up to Province, but a much easier time getting $4/5. Even if you clog up your deck with Silk Roads and Duchies, you should still be able to get $2 for Estates, which are worth much more to a SR player than a Province player.

See sample game here: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120112-082530-85602d7b.html (although Familiar v. Sea Hag was probably doomed from the start)

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »

Does Silk Road also Work With curse-givers?

Reasoning (somewhat oversimplified):
1. SR conflicts with fast engines and trashing; cursing cards prevent fast engines and slow down trashing.
2. Curse-givers tend to exhaust one pile on their own, making a SR/Duchy or SR/Estate rush much easier.
3. If you give your opponent all the Curses, chances are you're going to win anyway. If you don't, both your decks are likely to be junky. A junky deck has a hard time building up to Province, but a much easier time getting $4/5. Even if you clog up your deck with Silk Roads and Duchies, you should still be able to get $2 for Estates, which are worth much more to a SR player than a Province player.

See sample game here: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120112-082530-85602d7b.html (although Familiar v. Sea Hag was probably doomed from the start)

I would hazard to say that curse-givers tend to go well with any strategy they don't interfere with. That said, I don't really think that they synergise especially with Silk Road. Most cards that speed up Silk Road tend to be terminal, as do most curse givers. I don't think there is a single deck in the game that would become worse by adding a random Familiar, though that's a different issue.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:07 pm »

Silk road is generally helped by the presence of curse-givers more than your average strategy, because you can look to three-pile a lot more easily, and it's going to take much, much longer for your opponents who aren't SR to get to 8 provinces with all those curses floating around, whereas, yes, it takes a good deal longer to get to your SR and duchies/estates too, but not nearly as much longer.
However, SR isn't helped in this respect NEARLY as much as Gardens is.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 10:37:54 pm »

Alternatively, you could say that buying out the duchies can be a good strategy in curse games. Buying out the silk roads scores more and is easier.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »

Reviving this slightly to bring up how good both Smugglers and Contraband are in Silk Road games.

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »

Reviving this slightly to bring up how good both Smugglers and Contraband are in Silk Road games.

Go into a little bit more detail please I am curious.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:00 pm »

Contraband- +$3 +1buy. Gives a plus buy AND you only need Contraband and a copper to get a silk road. Then use the rest of your money on a SR, Estate, etc.

Smugglers- Not totally sure on this one.

Note- these are just my thoughts. Probably not correct.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 11:28:58 pm »

Go into a little bit more detail please I am curious.

Smugglers - The entire game you are probably going to be buying a lot of Silk Roads/Duchies/Estates/Tunnels/Islands, all of which can be smuggled. If you can get a couple turns in where you both smuggle a victory card and buy one, that can be rough for your opponent.

Contraband - The biggest drawback of this card is that in the late game, you want to be buying provinces, and your opponent is going to stop you from that. With Silk Road games, you can buy Provinces, Duchies, Silk Roads, or whatever other victory point cards are in the game. Not only that, but you get a sizable chunk of money AND an extra buy. All together a pretty solid package.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 01:26:41 pm »

Just played a game on a great silk road board which shows that you nevertheless have to take care not to green too early. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/30/game-20120130-102233-ab0fe9d8.html
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.