Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Counterfeit + Jack = AWESOME  (Read 4356 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Counterfeit + Jack = AWESOME
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:06:59 am »
+3

I don't think I can share the log because I was playing on the beta, but suffice to say I bought my 7th Province on turn 15.  I think this might be a legit combo.

The only things JoaT really lacks is +Buy and Copper trashing - Counterfeit provides both, all without the cost of an Action.  CF can also put your Silvers on double duty and just keep your deck from getting too big in general.  And then Jack just gives more Silvers for Counterfeit!  I think the Copper trashing and Silver doubling might be more important than the +Buy, though.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Counterfeit + Jack = AWESOME
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:48:03 am »
+2

I don't think I can share the log because I was playing on the beta, but suffice to say I bought my 7th Province on turn 15.  I think this might be a legit combo.

Sounds like legit big money to me.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:56:18 am »

Yeah this is pretty good. However, Counterfeit (and sometimes Jack too) is nice in engines, so on many boards there will be an even better engine.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33:36 am »

There are actually a lot of jack+other combos that can deliver excellent results with 4 provinces by turn 11 or 12. Too many simple combos really.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »

The only things JoaT really lacks is +Buy and Copper trashing - Counterfeit provides both, all without the cost of an Action.  CF can also put your Silvers on double duty and just keep your deck from getting too big in general.  And then Jack just gives more Silvers for Counterfeit!  I think the Copper trashing and Silver doubling might be more important than the +Buy, though.

I once got annihilated by eliegel on a JoAT/Forager board, which is actually pretty analogous; after you have trashed down normally, you can use a a pair of Jacks to feed Silver to your Foragers...who spit out a Gold and a buy. A very pretty technique.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:45:54 pm »

Moneylender/Counterfeit/Forager/Spice Merchant & JoaT is always good.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:50:21 pm »
+1

I once got annihilated by eliegel on a JoAT/Forager board, which is actually pretty analogous; after you have trashed down normally, you can use a a pair of Jacks to feed Silver to your Foragers...who spit out a Gold and a buy. A very pretty technique.

wait eliegel plays this? word???  he's really good in power grid too and we've played each other a lot in that.  looks like i may have found someone to bug once i stop watching vids and start playing online!

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:29:38 am »

I wouldn't rank Jack/Moneylender higher than Loan, which you don't mention.  But yep Jack and a treasure trasher is good.
My opponent has more loot than me

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:00 pm »

I wouldn't rank Jack/Moneylender higher than Loan, which you don't mention.  But yep Jack and a treasure trasher is good.

i.e. a trasher that is a Treasure, that can trash other Treasures.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:57 am »
+1

I played it only once but was really impressed by Jack/Bonfire.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

It's not surprising that something that benefits from money trashing works well with something that gains money.
I once played Counterfeit-Haggler Big Money and it was pretty good. Probably the same would be true for Counterfeit+Hoard and Counterfeit+Tunnel+Enabler
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:05:21 am »

It's not surprising that something that benefits from money trashing works well with something that gains money.
I once played Counterfeit-Haggler Big Money and it was pretty good. Probably the same would be true for Counterfeit+Hoard and Counterfeit+Tunnel+Enabler

Tunnel is often a trap card though. You're still junking yourself with Tunnels, and the payoff to get tons of Gold takes longer, unless you build an engine to gain tons of Gold, in which case, you want only 1 or 2 Tunnels, and you're likely burning off the economy via Butcher/Salvager or something. Tunnel and BM often do not work as well as advertised, and I'm not so sure Counterfeit/Tunnel is all that great. Counterfeit/Hoard looks nice though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »

Counterfeit/Tunnel is not worth any mention because you need other things for tunnel to be worth it far more than you need the Counterfeit.  On a majority of boards where you want to get Tunnel, the counterfeit actually helps you out much more in its role as a plain copper trasher and source of +buy than it does synergizing with Tunnel golds.

By the time you've gotten "too many" golds with Tunnel you've already basically won. (Unless it's a Colony game but well that matters more for determining whether Tunnel is a good idea on that board to begin with)
My opponent has more loot than me

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 07:38:19 pm »

wait eliegel plays this? word???  he's really good in power grid too and we've played each other a lot in that.  looks like i may have found someone to bug once i stop watching vids and start playing online!

Look at the leaderboard. You won't have to scroll very far, if at a all, to find him.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:49 pm »

Sounds pretty good...but Jack has a lot of other great combos. Even so, I'll be sure to keep this one in mind.

Thanks!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.