• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Tea
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

IIRC, there are others here who like tea, but there didn't seem to be a tea thread. Now there is one.

I recently ordered some 2015 first flush Mim Darjeeling. It just arrived and it's extremely good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Tea
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:33 am »

I can't drink tea.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:49:03 am »
+1

I love tea, pretty much all varieties, though I'm not that in to white teas or artificially fruity stuff.  Never drank it until many years with my wife, whose family drinks a lot of tea.  If I could just force myself to stop drinking soda I am pretty sure I could give it up for tea, but what can I say, I love soda too.

I swear by Harney & Sons; the majority of their teas are fabulous and quite rich in flavor, which I value a lot in tea.  I especially love there Thai Rooibos, though I could recommend more. 

At home, I brew tea (mostly loose leaf) in a blue tetsubin.

I live near the only tea plantation in the United States (in Charleston), and we recently went there to try some of theirs.  They are the home of American Classic tea, which isn't my favorite brand, but whatever.  They make a pretty good mint tea, which usually isn't a flavor I am hyped for, and I was able to get a lot of supplies. 

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »

I drink a lot of tea. 4-6 cups a day when I was working. Mostly only decaf; green black or herbal. Just recently got a tea maker and some loose leaf.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »

I love tea, pretty much all varieties, though I'm not that in to white teas or artificially fruity stuff.  Never drank it until many years with my wife, whose family drinks a lot of tea.  If I could just force myself to stop drinking soda I am pretty sure I could give it up for tea, but what can I say, I love soda too.

I swear by Harney & Sons; the majority of their teas are fabulous and quite rich in flavor, which I value a lot in tea.  I especially love there Thai Rooibos, though I could recommend more.

I'm trying to stop drinking soda. I've found it helpful to make a conscious decision to start gradually drinking less and less soda rather than trying to give it up entirely from day one. At this point, I've managed to reduce it to one or two glasses/cans a week or something like that.

In Finland, there aren't a lot of companies selling good tea. There's the one that I've been usually ordering my teas from, but lately (for months) they have been having a tendency to not have my favorites in stock which is annoying. Of the other ones I'm aware of, most don't look very convincing, one went out of business recently, and one (Chaya) looks promising so I guess I'll have to try that one out.

I can't drink tea.

Probably because you've been having teas that are crappy to begin with and/or prepared by people who don't know what they're doing. Unless you mean that you're allergic to it or something.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

brokenlasagna

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:59:35 pm »
+2

Lapsang souchong is pretty much all I drink when I'm not drinking coffee.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:11 pm »

I can't drink tea.

Probably because you've been having teas that are crappy to begin with and/or prepared by people who don't know what they're doing. Unless you mean that you're allergic to it or something.

I have acid reflux; caffeine aggravates it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:34 pm »

my life would be considerably less enjoyable without tea... whenever there isn't a can sitting beside me, something feels wrong

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »

Lapsang souchong is delicious. Too bad it's one of those favorites of mine that were out of stock in Teekauppa, so I haven't had any for months.  :'(

brokenlasagna

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 02:42:27 pm »

Lapsang souchong is delicious. Too bad it's one of those favorites of mine that were out of stock in Teekauppa, so I haven't had any for months.  :'(

That's depressing, peated Scotch is a fine substitute.  ;)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »

Not really a tea connoisseur, but I like a wide variety of tisane teas. I don't really drink coffee or soda.

I can't drink tea.

I have acid reflux; caffeine aggravates it.

Not all tea has caffeine in it though. But then, you probably wouldn't like those teas if you've been conditioned to stay away from tea.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »

I love tea. I particularly like black teas from southeast China and India; Yunnan, Assam, etc. I'm quite a snob when it comes to water, I have a setup at work where I put Dasani through an aerator that was designed for red wine (it actually makes black teas taste better by increasing the oxygen content of the water, since there are lots of oxygen-soluble compounds in black teas that are delicious) and heat it to a certain temperature for each tea.

I didn't know people actually drank Lapsang Souchong. I can't even be in the same room as the leaves, it's so vile.

The best tea I've ever drank was an English Breakfast tea when I was in London back in high school (12 years ago). If tea was as good everywhere as it is there, we'd all drink tea as much as they do :)

There's this strange thing I ordered from the internet after trying it in a store called "Birthday" tea. It actually has rainbow jimmies in the leaves. It's really hard to take it seriously, but it's actually good.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »

All of the types of tea I have tried I have not liked.

(notice I didn't say I don't like tea.  I've made that mistake before...)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 06:12:52 pm »

I'll drink tea if I want a hot drink (which happens a lot in Winter) and tea is the only option. I probably prefer flavoured tea - there's often berry flavoured options - but otherwise it tastes okay with a bit of sugar. Green tea tastes like dirt to me.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 06:19:23 pm »

I drink a lot of tea, mostly loose-leaf. I really enjoy white teas (silver needle) and even some flavored teas. My favorite tea though is Genmaicha.

I may have to try some of your water techniques Adam, I've been stuck with crappy water at college, hopefully I'll have better soon

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 06:21:01 pm »

Tea is certainly an acquired taste if you haven't drunk it regularly.  Green tea is really easy to screw up during brewing and make nasty, and there's a lot of variety by brand. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »

I'll drink tea if I want a hot drink (which happens a lot in Winter) and tea is the only option. I probably prefer flavoured tea - there's often berry flavoured options - but otherwise it tastes okay with a bit of sugar. Green tea tastes like dirt to me.

Are you sure you're not using too hot water? Most green teas can't handle water hotter than 80 Celsius and the optimal temperature is around 70 or even 60 for many kinds of green teas.

All of the types of tea I have tried I have not liked.

Probably because you've been having teas that are crappy to begin with and/or prepared by people who don't know what they're doing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:25:03 pm by Awaclus »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »

Are you sure you're not using too hot water? Most green teas can't handle water hotter than 80 Celsius and the optimal temperature is around 70 or even 60 for many kinds of green teas.

I don't think I've ever made green tea. My girlfriend made it for me one time (she likes it), and I've tried it when she had it at a restaurant.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 06:57:09 pm »

I don't think I've ever made green tea. My girlfriend made it for me one time (she likes it), and I've tried it when she had it at a restaurant.

Then it sounds like you just don't like green tea in general. Using too hot water is an incredibly common mistake people make when they're preparing green tea, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the restaurant was doing it wrong (actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if the restaurant just used a tea bag; that can also be the reason why it tastes horrible), but if your girlfriend drinks a lot of green tea and likes the tea she makes, that sounds like she probably knows what she's doing.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:31 pm »

Then it sounds like you just don't like green tea in general. Using too hot water is an incredibly common mistake people make when they're preparing green tea, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the restaurant was doing it wrong (actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if the restaurant just used a tea bag; that can also be the reason why it tastes horrible), but if your girlfriend drinks a lot of green tea and likes the tea she makes, that sounds like she probably knows what she's doing.

She doesn't drink that much green tea, so it's entirely possible (even probable) she does it wrong.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 10:52:28 am »
+1

I love tea and probably drink far too much of it. Lapsang Souchong is my favourite.

One of the benefits of being a semi-regular visitor to Sweden is the fruit teas they have there.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »

No one here from the US South, I'm guessing, given the lack of discussion of iced tea and sweet tea.

I'll drink hot herbal tea only when I'm sick, and decaf iced tea.  (Caffeine is incompatible with my health.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »

No one here from the US South, I'm guessing, given the lack of discussion of iced tea and sweet tea.

I'll drink hot herbal tea only when I'm sick, and decaf iced tea.  (Caffeine is incompatible with my health.)

I'm from the south.  Naturally I grew up on sweetened iced tea.  I'm trying to cut down on it (I get kidney stones) but can't resist sometimes.  It really depends on who makes it and what brand it is, but it's popular here for good reason.  Delicious unholy nectar of the gods.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »

South here also. I prefer unsweet to sweet; though I also like some sugar in my unsweet tea. And yes there's a big difference between unsweet tea with sugar added, and sweet tea.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »

I drink iced tea all the time (when I make it at home it's lightly sweetened, at resturants I often ask for half sweet half unsweet).

Is iced tea a thing at all outside of the US?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.