Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Slight delay  (Read 4628 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Slight delay
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:37 am »

I just moved to London, where I'll be for the next three months for work.  It's been pretty hectic.  I've already got all the articles lined up on the site for the next week or so, but things like updating the championships bracket and posting the best 2011 isotropic moments will be delayed a couple of days.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Slight delay
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:20:57 am »

Awesome. Doing any touristy stuff while you're here? London's pretty horrible but I heard York is a lovely city ;)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:10 am »

Welcome to Europe!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

Actually I thought of a better way to convince you to come to York...

Come up on the first or third Saturday of the month (any month) and I'll take you to Beyond Monopoly! York's Friendliest Boardgame Club and we can play games all day! The club has near to 500 games and people bring in their own too, so there's plenty to choose from and we get.... I dunno... 30-50 people at each club meet, so there are plenty of people to play with. Let me know if you're interested :D (This invite is open to anybody else who wants to come to York too).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

I just moved to London, where I'll be for the next three months for work.  It's been pretty hectic.  I've already got all the articles lined up on the site for the next week or so, but things like updating the championships bracket and posting the best 2011 isotropic moments will be delayed a couple of days.
Are you going to take the London Dominion tour?
I think you can find a lot of card names in London.

I wonder how many pictures with Dominion card names you can take there... :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:46 am »

How would I get up to York?  Assume I am not driving.

I would love to meet with people here and do some in-person gaming.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:02 am »

There's a direct train from King's Cross, I believe. The one that doesn't stop everywhere on the way takes about 2 hours, not sure about the price but if you book in advance it shouldn't be TOO much (but don't expect it to be really cheap either).

As for Dominion cards in London, check out the famed Escalator Link between Monument and Bank!

Edit: I had a quick look at Feb 18th which is far enough in advance to get a good idea of prices and it looks like it'll be about £20 each way. The train back to London will take 3 hours rather than 2 though, for some reason. Probably because it's a Saturday or something.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:59:52 am by Thisisnotasmile »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »

Board gaming in the UK is like an underground resistance with small groups hidden away around the country. There should be plenty of groups meeting regularly in London though and you just need to find the right contact for your area.

I should probably get to York more often but the local "park and ride" scheme makes it seem as if it would be faster travelling there from London than by car from Leeds (in the same county).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »

Luckily, if you live in the city centre you can get a parking permit and then drive in yourself. So much quicker than the buses.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:10:14 am »

Do most people drive in London?  In New York, I don't know a single person that owns a car in the city, and everyone uses public transit.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:22:08 am »

I don't go to London often so I'm not really sure. I drive, but I certainly wouldn't drive in a city like London. Hell, I wouldn't even drive into Ipswich back when I lived in Suffolk, and that's not even officially a city. The London underground goes everywhere and the trains go every 3 minutes so I don't see any reason not to just use that, and then there's the buses too. I'm sure many people do drive in London though, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced the congestion charge there...

(York is an exception to my "don't drive in cities" rule because there are only like... three roads that I ever need to use)

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:33 am »

Welcome to the UK. I suggest don't drive in London - you can probably compare it to NY, hell to drive with congestion, easy to get lost, and hard to find parking. Just take the bus or underground (I love coming home to trains every 3 minutes and cheap too - much better than the SF bay area underground ...). But remember that underground stops are every few streets in London - sometimes it will just be easier to walk shorter distances, London is nice to walk around in the centre. Get an oyster card for public transport; works on the buses too.

As for getting around the country the train system is decent (not as good as Europe but of course much better than the US) and will take you to most places easily. Convenient but a bit overpriced.

I don't know what NY is like but compared to SF, I am always surprised to come home and find that you don't get free internet in cafes etc here ...

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:09:01 am »

It appears that London on Board meets about a block away from work.  I think I'll be spending plenty of time with these guys while I'm here in England (though of course I'll also try to make it up to York!).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »

Just make sure you play a game of London while you're in London.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »

Just make sure you play a game of London while you're in London.

Game is terrible.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:00:05 am »

I went 3-for-3 against those Londoners at The Resistance.  Maybe Americans are simply better at lying through our teeth than noble Englishmen. 

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:06 am »

I went 3-for-3 against those Londoners at The Resistance.  Maybe Americans are simply better at lying through our teeth than noble Englishmen. 

It's because this country's pro-Resistance players all live in York ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.