Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tournament: Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 1PM -- all expansions (Cincinnati, OH)  (Read 4924 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+2

Join us on Saturday, June 20, 2015 at Game Swap in Mason, OH for an RGG-sanctioned Dominion tournament. This Swiss tournament will consist of mostly 3-player games from all expansions of Dominion. The tournament will start at 1PM, every player is guaranteed at least 4 games in the tournament, with the last match concluding by 7PM.

1065 Reading Rd. / Mason, OH 45040

The first 27 people to enter the tournament will be given a Dominion Promo card. The winner of the tournament will be pre-qualified for the Dominion World National Tournament at GenCon this year.

The entry fee will be $5. For each entry into the tournament, $4 will be put into the prize pool. If 15 or more people join the tournament, an extra $30 will be added to the prize pool. All prizes will be given in store credit. The top three players will be given portions of the prize pool.

If you're planning to attend, contact the tournament moderator Adam Horton (me) at adam@adamhorton.com -- this is not required but can guarantee you a spot in the tournament and it will assist with planning. Feel free to send any questions there as well. You can also just reply to this thread, I'll be following it  :)

If you want to hang out afterwards, there will be the normal game night for the local boardgaming group I'm an admin of, we usually have a turnout of about 15-20 people without anything special going on. I hope to see lots of you there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:09:54 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

Oh man, I will actually be in Ohio on that date, but will be very occupied... oh well :(

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Oh man, I will actually be in Ohio on that date, but will be very occupied... oh well :(

:'( :'( :'(

Will you have any other free time that weekend? Anywhere close to Cincy?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games

Maybe I can get RGG to let me run a tournament at my house.  I play Dominion on gold bar proxies, though.

Wish I could go to this one, sounds fun.  Maybe the southeast will have its day some day.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
+1

:'( :'( :'(

Will you have any other free time that weekend? Anywhere close to Cincy?
Nope. I'll be in Columbus for 6 weeks, all of it pretty much booked. http://u.osu.edu/rossmath/

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+1

Just a reminder that this tournament is tomorrow -- you can show up at the door and still play, but you can also pre-register to guarantee yourself a spot. Hope to see you there!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+5

So this tournament happened on Saturday. We had a turnout of 11 people -- this is certainly good enough to get the full tournament experience so I'm happy with it. The weird thing is that I had several people confirm they were coming who didn't show up, a few of them are usually good about coming to things they respond to on facebook events so that was weird, and there were a couple of others that came from BGG I think who were like this as well. Oh well, you can't have everything.

But anyways, we played four rounds of Swiss, then selected the top three finishers from that for a final round -- the final round was two games, with a possible tiebreaker as necessary (it wasn't necessary).

Unfortunately, we didn't have any active F.DS people in attendance, I guess Cincinnati is a bit of a hike for most people. You'll come to your senses soon enough, though. After I get married, I'm hoping to have these somewhat reguarly, but more teasers at the end of this post.

The winner of the tournament was Josh (sirusx, then some numbers, is his Twitch name, you'll see him with the occasional snarky comment in my chat. I also know that he lurks on these forums and said that most of his Dominion ability comes from these forums and watching my streams) -- he's also a good friend of mine so I was happy to see him win (though a lot of people at the tournament were friends from my gaming group anyways). Josh won every single game he played, so his performance was quite convincing.

Second place was Ken, he goes by shiroiken on these forums, but he doesn't post all that much. I've played a game or two with him on some of my old videos but that was quite a while ago -- most of the Dominion we play now is IRL because Adventures. Ken got a lot of second-place finishes, particularly in the games he played with Josh :P

Third place was Michael Lohr -- he's not really present in the online Dominion scene, but some may recognize the name, he has a couple of published games of his own. He got last place in his first game but won the next three games to make it into the finals.\

Here are the kingdoms I used for the Swiss rounds, and then the two finals kingdoms. I had more put together, but I'll keep them in my pocket for now for use in future tournaments.

1. Throne Room, Council Room, Masquerade, Contraband, Vault, Advisor, Soothsayer, Messenger, Lost City, Peasant, Trade

2. Village, Cellar, Festival, Moneylender, Duke, Tunnel, Scheme, Silk Road, Crossroads, Guide, Scouting Party, Seaway

3. Courtyard, Mint, Goons, Bank, Hermit, Feodum, Storyteller, Swamp Hag, Page, Dungeon, Raid

4. Nobles, Great Hall, Vineyard, Apothecary, University, Hoard, Worker's Village, Catacombs, Stonemason, Artificer, Colony/Platinum

5. Moneylender, Bureaucrat, Gardens, Feast, Bridge, Explorer, Embassy, Candlestick Maker, Treasure Trove, Governor

6. Cellar, Gardens, Harem, Scout, Island, Bishop, Hoard, Counting House, Goons, Market Square, Colony/Platinum

F1. Moat, Festival, Council Room, Fishing Village, Lighthouse, City, Worker's Village, Goons, Horse, Traders   Fairgrounds

F2. Village, Gardens, Woodcutter, Bank, Counting House, Hamlet, Embassy, Marauder, Death Cart, Masterpiece   , Travelling Fair, Borrow

-----------------------------------

This is the appropriate time for thank-yous. I want to start out with Voltaire and Elestan, they both gave me a lot of advice for running IRL tournaments. I really didn't have any issues with organizing this and running it and full credit for that goes to these two -- they helped me prevent a lot of issues they had run into when organizing their IRL tournaments.

I should also thank Kirian -- though I didn't directly reach out to him about IRL details, I learned quite a lot from helping him out with GokoDom III, particularly about Swiss tournament structure. I was able to go back to a lot of his posts about GD tournaments and write up a spreadsheet that helped immensely, so thanks to Kirian as well :)

Then there were several people who helped design kingdoms -- I had an interesting set of constraints, since Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Guilds, and Adventures only had one copy available in my entire gaming group (right about the time when I started getting into Dominion, imagine that :P). Several people helped out with kingdom design: werothegreat, Beyond Awesome, RobertJ, liopoil, Awaclus, JacquesTheBard, Mr.Oatmeal, and WanderingWinder. Thanks to all of you.

-----------------------------------

The best part of this experience was the fact that I should be able to put together IRL tournaments like this somewhat regularly. The venue wasn't limited by space or time for us, and we were all really happy with how things went. Everyone in attendance said they would participate in another tournament like this one, and here's the best part:

They're all interested in a 2P Dominion tournament.

The main reason IRL tournaments are 3P only is to get the RGG stamp of approval. While I think it's good to have this, my vision is to do IRL tournaments often enough that we can do one or two RGG-sanctioned tournaments per year, and several "unofficial" 2P tournaments in between.

And that's not the end of the potential for these -- if everything goes well, there is the technological capability present to theoretically live-stream a "feature match" each round on Twitch, with live commentary. I'm not kidding.

I'm hoping this tournament can be the first of many tournaments in the Cincinnati area. Sooner or later the scene will get big enough that some F.DS people will have to make the drive down here :)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
+2

Sooner or later the scene will get big enough that some F.DS people will have to make the drive down here :)

If only it was just a drive.  Sounds like a great time though
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile

Drive down? If I'm driving down from Houston to Cincinnati, I'm taking the _long_ way.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+1

Yeah yeah OK it's longer for some of you. I'll accept it if you choose to fly in instead :P

But hey I drove up to Detroit and Chicago for IRL stuff, one day it's my dream to show those folks my lovely city :)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
+1

I haven't moved into my place in Canton, OH yet, but when I do I'll definitely make the jaunt over to Cincy for tournaments like this

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
+2

I seriously considered the 5-hour drive from Chicago since I have family in the area. The timing didn't work out, but don't think I won't show up next time.

Oh, and don't worry about getting RGG approval, it's not really necessary. It's great if you want to give out promos as prizes and a tourney slot at GenCon as a prize (which is cool) but run the tournament the way you want, most game-store tournaments aren't sanctioned by the game publisher (outside of your big organized play stuff like Magic, et al).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile

All tournaments ever should take place within an hour's driving distance of me.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile

Sooner or later the scene will get big enough that some F.DS people will have to make the drive down here :)

If only it was just a drive.  Sounds like a great time though

If only it wasn't a 35 hour drive...

The funny thing is, google actually suggested flying there...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.