Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Brokoli's "How would you play this game" topic  (Read 2051 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Brokoli's "How would you play this game" topic
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:32 am »

In this thread I'll post games in which the best approach is hard to find for me, so I would like your opinions.
The first one is my last game played today :

Code: [Select]
Crossroads, Develop, Advisor, Bishop, Coppersmith, Taxman, Baker, Count, Graverobber, Stables
So here I took a long time thinking and finally thought the key card here would be Graverobber. I tried a deck involving Count, Baker, Graverobber, Advisor, Develop, Crossroads and Bishop, I won but my strategy was pretty obviously slow.
Then I thought that Baker, Develop and Bishop were completely useless and a deck using only Crossroads, Count, Graverobber and Advisor would be faster.
My idea was :
Open Count / Silver
Trash trash trash
Get Graverobber ASAP, one crossroad, a couple of advisors.
Start getting provinces by Graverobbing Count and take more $5 fuel for Graverobber at the same time.

I tried this strategy in two other games against bots :
Game 1 - I lost, Villager built a faster Stables deck (14 turns) but it was close.
Game 2 - I won turn 18 (without a stupid mistake, I could have won turn 17)

How would you play this game ?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Brokoli's "How would you play this game" topic
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:55 am »
+2

Why do you think Bishop is useless? When there's the possibility to (re)gain expensive enough cards and sufficient draw to build a reliable deck, a Bishop based strategy will crush anything that goes for 8 provinces.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:01 am »

Why do you think Bishop is useless? When there's the possibility to (re)gain expensive enough cards and sufficient draw to build a reliable deck, a Bishop based strategy will crush anything that goes for 8 provinces.
In this case, you'd want to overbuild a bit so you can trash and regain an engine piece like Advisor, Since Graverobber topdecks it. However, due to Crossroads the player gaining 8 Provinces might be faster than usual. With at least 2 Graverobbers, you can snatch the last few Provinces in one turn to force a win if you have enough points from Bishop.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:46 am »

Well, I'm not that experienced with Graverobber but I often think of it like an expand-like card, the "gain from the trash" being a consolation prize. A terminal action that provides nothing when played and gain-topdeck a $5 card does not seem so good for me, with bishop (another terminal card that only provides a +$1) I don't think it's really spectacular, not the same way Fortress-Bishop is. Also, there are no reliable villages, Crossroads give +3 actions once, don't draw that much, the other village being Necropolis. So overall I thought the combo pieces for this combo would be too weak to worth it. But I'd love you to prove me wrong ^^

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
+4

The idea is to ultimately Bishop Golds and regain them. Since it's a Shelters game you can do this twice a turn for 8 VP total. If this weren't a Shelters game you would still want two Graverobbers and two Bishops and just alternate which of the two you play twice in a turn, this gives 4 VP / 8 VP / 4 VP ...
Other than that you just want enough Advisors and Stables to do this consistently.
edit: Well and you can always buy something too, so really you can play two Bishops every turn in either case. Necro just lets you improve your consistency even as you gain VP.

If you don't use Bishop at all you have to get 8 Provinces, but it may also be possible to get some Provinces and Bishop them later to keep the deck clean. If you do want to try and piledrive Provinces you need to really build up your ability to play multiple Graverobbers a turn so that you don't spend so many turns greening. The greening quite hurts Advisor/Stables, though Crossroads helps a little with this. Either deck wants lots of Advisors/Stables.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:14:25 am by Mic Qsenoch »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.