Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Yet another Adventures review  (Read 14073 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Yet another Adventures review
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:31:46 pm »
+1

He seems to like it.  What I find interesting is that he played base Dominion, liked it, but then got rid of it in favor of other deckbuilders with "better" theme, so Adventures was the first Dominion he'd seen in a while.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Yet another Adventures review
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04:17 am »

It makes me wonder how many other "advanced" gamers passed up Dominion due to the early simpler sets.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
+6

It makes me wonder how many other "advanced" gamers passed up Dominion due to the early simpler sets.

My IRL gaming group is expanding pretty rapidly, and I'm coming into contact with a variety of new gamer-types. I'm mainly seeing three of them:

1. MtG people who are tangentially interested in Dominion, but aren't going to get into it because Magic is consuming their life and they're happy with that. I totally get this, BTW, I like talking to these people and playing with them.

2. Casual gamers, these people LOVE 4-player Dominion and look at me funny when I say "if we have 4 people that want to play Dominion, we can just play two 2-player games." They think Dominion is bad with 2 people and I just don't understand why. I wonder if they've ever played 2-player Dominion.

3. Hard-core board gamers, these people really like to play board games of any type, but particularly the heavier and/or newer ones. I ask them about Dominion and of course they tried it a long time ago, but they never played it much. A lot of time they say it's because half the time there's just no player interaction, so you're sitting there during your opponents' turns doing nothing and what they're doing doesn't matter at all.

This surprises me; I mean if you don't think there's player interaction in Dominion then you're just ignoring part of the game, and you're going to lose games because of it. I dunno, maybe this could have been prevented by having more complexity in the base set, but if what you want from a game is more complexity and there are expansions that offer that, why would you go play other, inferior deck-builders when you could just buy Dominion expansions? That's just beyond me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:21:49 am »
+5

2. Casual gamers, these people LOVE 4-player Dominion and look at me funny when I say "if we have 4 people that want to play Dominion, we can just play two 2-player games." They think Dominion is bad with 2 people and I just don't understand why. I wonder if they've ever played 2-player Dominion.

Why would you want to play two 2-player games in real-life is what I want to know. It's more fun to all play together. I think it gets too slow at 5 players, but 4-player games are great.

3. Hard-core board gamers, these people really like to play board games of any type, but particularly the heavier and/or newer ones. I ask them about Dominion and of course they tried it a long time ago, but they never played it much. A lot of time they say it's because half the time there's just no player interaction, so you're sitting there during your opponents' turns doing nothing and what they're doing doesn't matter at all.

This surprises me; I mean if you don't think there's player interaction in Dominion then you're just ignoring part of the game, and you're going to lose games because of it. I dunno, maybe this could have been prevented by having more complexity in the base set, but if what you want from a game is more complexity and there are expansions that offer that, why would you go play other, inferior deck-builders when you could just buy Dominion expansions? That's just beyond me.

Paying attention to what other players are doing is an intermediate Dominion skill; players who have played only a few games will never see that part of the game. In general, Donald's games reward repeated plays, so "breadth" gamers who are only interested in the new hotness are likely to give his games short shrift.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
+8

Ugh, now I'm going to rant.

1. This whole theme thing. I know that it's just personal preference, and some types of gamers are obviously different than I am and like different things, but I just so don't get it! What theme in any game is not "pasted on"? I've played a whole lot of board games, and never once have I "felt" like I was actually doing the thing that the theme of the game is doing. You could take any great game and completely replace the theme with any other theme, and it would work just as well. I mean I'm assuming that Agricola is a game where people feel like the theme is really good, because you're really like a farmer in those times, doing the things they needed to do. Well you could replace a bit of the artwork, action names, animals, and crops with different things, and have a sci-fi space adventure with the exact same rules and mechanics. To not want to play a game because you don't like the theme just makes no sense to me at all. And you know, I really don't think I'd like it if a game made me "feel" like I was doing the thing that's the theme of the game. Playing board games is fun; growing crops is not. Being in the army and conquering territories is not actually fun. Playing a board game where you feel like you're playing a game is fun.

2. The whole Hireling thing. So he played 1 game with it, and in that 1 game everyone at the table did nothing but buy a bunch of them, so therefore Hireling must be overpowered? Yeah, just like Pirate Ship, right?  I mean Hireling may or may not be a very powerful card; when I first saw it I thought it seemed very powerful and wanted to buy a few before I ever bought Gold. But I could very well be wrong, and I'm not about to go around proclaiming that a drawback of the game is that some cards like Hireling are broken.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:08 pm »
+1

Why would you want to play two 2-player games in real-life is what I want to know. It's more fun to all play together. I think it gets too slow at 5 players, but 4-player games are great.

Paying attention to what other players are doing is an intermediate Dominion skill; players who have played only a few games will never see that part of the game. In general, Donald's games reward repeated plays, so "breadth" gamers who are only interested in the new hotness are likely to give his games short shrift.

Last night we had a new guy join our game group. He said that he didn't like Dominion at all; he just didn't like the deckbuilding stuff or that whole mechanic. I taught him Temporum; which he seemed to enjoy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:28:59 pm »

Last night we had a new guy join our game group. He said that he didn't like Dominion at all; he just didn't like the deckbuilding stuff or that whole mechanic. I taught him Temporum; which he seemed to enjoy.

That's good. I'm not sure why you quoted my post, though. What's the connection?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:12 pm »

2. The whole Hireling thing. So he played 1 game with it, and in that 1 game everyone at the table did nothing but buy a bunch of them, so therefore Hireling must be overpowered? Yeah, just like Pirate Ship, right?  I mean Hireling may or may not be a very powerful card; when I first saw it I thought it seemed very powerful and wanted to buy a few before I ever bought Gold. But I could very well be wrong, and I'm not about to go around proclaiming that a drawback of the game is that some cards like Hireling are broken.

To be fair, he said that one guy couldn't get an early Hireling and then lost badly. Everything you're saying is legit; he judged Hireling way too early. But I don't think the Pirate Ship analogy quite works here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:59 pm »
+2

1. This whole theme thing. I know that it's just personal preference, and some types of gamers are obviously different than I am and like different things, but I just so don't get it! What theme in any game is not "pasted on"? I've played a whole lot of board games, and never once have I "felt" like I was actually doing the thing that the theme of the game is doing. You could take any great game and completely replace the theme with any other theme, and it would work just as well. I mean I'm assuming that Agricola is a game where people feel like the theme is really good, because you're really like a farmer in those times, doing the things they needed to do. Well you could replace a bit of the artwork, action names, animals, and crops with different things, and have a sci-fi space adventure with the exact same rules and mechanics. To not want to play a game because you don't like the theme just makes no sense to me at all. And you know, I really don't think I'd like it if a game made me "feel" like I was doing the thing that's the theme of the game. Playing board games is fun; growing crops is not. Being in the army and conquering territories is not actually fun. Playing a board game where you feel like you're playing a game is fun.

I don't particularly care about the theme in a strategy game, because I'm playing it for the strategic aspects. But I do care about it in a TTRPG, because I'm playing it for the atmosphere and the theme is an important part of the atmosphere. If playing a TTRPG feels like playing a game, that ruins the atmosphere and the experience. I mean, playing strategy games for the theme is like going to McDonald's to buy a violin, but there certainly is a reason why immersing themes are entertaining.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
+1

That's good. I'm not sure why you quoted my post, though. What's the connection?

Just the general discussion of what kinds of players like Dominion, and your comment about how certain types of players tend to like or dislike Donald's games in general.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 01:43:44 pm »

Just the general discussion of what kinds of players like Dominion, and your comment about how certain types of players tend to like or dislike Donald's games in general.

OK, cool. Makes sense. Sorry, I was just confused for some reason.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 03:01:03 pm »
+1

I don't particularly care about the theme in a strategy game, because I'm playing it for the strategic aspects. But I do care about it in a TTRPG, because I'm playing it for the atmosphere and the theme is an important part of the atmosphere. If playing a TTRPG feels like playing a game, that ruins the atmosphere and the experience. I mean, playing strategy games for the theme is like going to McDonald's to buy a violin, but there certainly is a reason why immersing themes are entertaining.

Sure, but I wouldn't put RPGs in the same category as board games in general (though many of the board gamers I know also like RPGs). To me an RPG isn't so much of a game as it is an activity where people get together in order to pretend to be other people. You know, like they are... playing a role.

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 03:21:32 pm »
+1

I don't know why everyone goes on about the theme of Dominion. I actually think it fits really well. Sure, you could change the names and art on every card and have a completely different theme without changing the game at all, but the theme is still an important part of the game experience, and I personally really like the way Dominion feels with the medieval theme.

It is annoying how quick some are to brush off the game, though. I mean, I respect it; to each his own and whatnot. It's just frustrating because the variation from game to game is such a big part of what I love about this game, and so many people just play 1 or 2 games and then feel like they know everything about it. I mean, I once played a game with one of my friends, and his response was "Yeah, it's pretty cool, but I don't really like that there's no rushdown strategy." I of course told him that there could be depending on the board, but he still hasn't really been interested in playing since then. I've also had a handful of nightmarish 6-player experiences. It's like, don't worry guys, I promise Dominion isn't this dumb with a reasonable number of people.

But yeah, I'm definitely in the camp who would pretty much always rather just play 2-player. I'm not gonna be an asshole if a bunch of people want to play at a party, but I just have a hard time approaching Dominion as a party game when I spend so much time playing it competitively.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »
+3

These people don't like diving into a single game for very long. At the beginner level, there actually isn't really that much player interaction. Of course once you get half-decent at the game there is plenty, but the learning curve for dominion is really long, which  IMO is something that makes it great, but for others they'd rather play 10 other games once each. Dominion is a good game the first time you play it, but there are lots of games like that and so Dominion isn't really anything special for them. Really the only reason I got into Dominion was because I had a lot of opportunities to play it, and then once I started noticing some subtle things I looked it up online and found iso and f.ds. I definitely had no idea about the depth of Dominion or that I would still be playing it after a few years after 5 or so plays.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 03:40:54 am »
+1

Did Donald (or Jay or anyone else) ever actually say that Guilds would be the last expansion? I recall Donald saying that Guilds was the last regular/planned expansion, and therefore any new expansion would be irregular and/or was not yet planned.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:23:32 am »

These people don't like diving into a single game for very long. At the beginner level, there actually isn't really that much player interaction. Of course once you get half-decent at the game there is plenty, but the learning curve for dominion is really long, which  IMO is something that makes it great, but for others they'd rather play 10 other games once each. Dominion is a good game the first time you play it, but there are lots of games like that and so Dominion isn't really anything special for them. Really the only reason I got into Dominion was because I had a lot of opportunities to play it, and then once I started noticing some subtle things I looked it up online and found iso and f.ds. I definitely had no idea about the depth of Dominion or that I would still be playing it after a few years after 5 or so plays.

This all makes sense, you're probably right.

So what you're telling me is that when these people say they don't play Dominion anymore because there's not enough player interaction, what they're really saying is that they are lying to me and the real reason is that they just don't like to get really serious about any particular game. OK sure I believe you.

(begin tangent)

Settlers was my gateway game, and as such I played a LOT of it in college. When I played Settlers I thought "this game is great but it's not very interactive" (yes I know I was terribly wrong, that's the point of this). It wasn't until a few games in that I saw that hey you're on the same map competing for the same spots.

"But Adam!" you say, "It all just comes down to whoever gets the best spots and the best rolls! The trading mechanic doesn't involve any skill because if you really need brick, then everyone else needs brick too and you can't ever get any!"

And after several plays of the game I realized that if you track what resources are plentiful right now and which ones are scarce, you can offer more trades to people that are to your long-term advantage by using the current game state as leverage. It doesn't look all that glamorous but it wins games.

So trading is lame and without skill if you're bad at it; it's just harder to see it and use skill on it.

(end tangent)

I imagine it's similar in Dominion. I mean, IRL I only play the treasures I need to buy the thing I've decided I wanted -- it looks like I'm spending all of my money this turn but a lot of the time I'm not. Maybe my opponents think I got lucky draws to get exactly the amount of money I needed every turn to buy the cards that were best for my deck (because of course you have to spend all your money every turn or else UR DOIN IT RONG) while they have 5 Jacks and 5 Saboteurs and zero Provinces.

Interaction becomes painfully obvious when I play an Ambassador game with a newer player but maybe it's not as obvious with other attacks. It certainly isn't obvious with engine boards where certain components should be contested or endgame dancing is taking place -- the other guy blindly buys as many Provinces as he can and loses because I broke for Duchies and got an extra turn, then maybe he thinks I built a better deck than him when I actually didn't, I just played the endgame better.

Maybe people don't want to ever get past that (and in that case I wonder why they bother playing the game if they have no desire to develop any skill at it and just want to go through the motions. Theme? Hmm. Potato potahto I guess) but they seem to be getting something completely different out of the board gaming experience than I am. To the point where I wonder if they're playing the same game as I am when they get Dominion out. And since they seem to like 4P games, I'm guessing this may be the case.

Well the answer to your question is that I usually play Dominion IRL when there are two people without a game for a little bit who need something to do and I'm one of them. This usually happens when people are arriving and games are already in progress. If we have 3 or 4 players we usually play something else, something that's actually good with 4 players.

Yeah I don't think 4P Dominion is worth playing. If any attack is present you just don't get to do anything that game. Most of the time you're playing Big Money and you break for Duchies because Provinces are never attainable. If there's a junking attack, just forget it. You're in for the long haul on a game where Estates, Curses, and probably Coppers run out. I don't think there's anything fun about that, I'd rather build an engine, but even on an engine board you can't really build anything cool with two Villages. Something about potatoes again.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 08:40:12 am »
+6

Yeah I don't think 4P Dominion is worth playing.

How is that?
It just becomes more casual, luck matters a bit more, skill matters a bit less.

I personally think it is one of the qualities by virtue of which Dominion became so popular: you can play it as an all family game and say rush Pirate Ships, or you can get up to the level when you spend hours on the forums discussing Band of Misfits edge cases. And it's actually quite entertaining in both cases.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:35 am »

I dunno, I really don't enjoy 4 player Dominion, even IRL.  I don't like Dominion as a social game, and would prefer playing something better suited to groups.  It's not even the coin flip nature of it, at least not entirely.  Part of it is that I'm a lot better at the game than my friends so they spend the whole time talking about how I'm winning/trying to collude even when I'm not.  Casual 3 Player is OK usually.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 09:10:55 am »

Yeah I don't think 4P Dominion is worth playing.

How is that?
It just becomes more casual, luck matters a bit more, skill matters a bit less.

I personally think it is one of the qualities by virtue of which Dominion became so popular: you can play it as an all family game and say rush Pirate Ships, or you can get up to the level when you spend hours on the forums discussing Band of Misfits edge cases. And it's actually quite entertaining in both cases.

4P is only worth it if you know the other players and can banter with them.  I've played 4 (and 5) player games with my old high school friends, and we always have a blast.  At the January DC meetup, our first Adventures game was 4 people, and that worked because we all knew each other from the forum and were checking out all these sweet new cards.

I would never want to play with more than three players in a competitive setting.  There is never enough of anything to go around, and it's just painful.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
+1

While I don't care for theme in a game, I would like to take issue with:

What theme in any game is not "pasted on"? ... You could take any great game and completely replace the theme with any other theme, and it would work just as well.

Sometimes mechanics emerge from the theme, and if they don't, they fail. Any bike race game should incorporate the idea of drag, peloton, breakaway in a way, and many wargames have almost identical rules and only differ by campaign. A Twilight Struggle reimplemented in Middle Earth would feel wrong, even Fields of Arle would not transfer 1:1 to, say, Kingston, Jamaica. There are simulation games, and great ones among them, that draw a lot of their rules from their subject matter.

EDIT: additionally, a good theme can provide easy-to-remember rules. I can't count how often I called "Ares grants an army" instead of "you get an army because you bid highest on Ares".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:57:46 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 09:19:04 am »
+1

I would never want to play with more than three players in a competitive setting.  There is never enough of anything to go around, and it's just painful.

I really dislike playing trivia games because usually they're team games and they say "Oh Adam is really smart, better not put him on the same team as [other smart person]" and then all of a sudden there's this huge expectation of me.

There's also the fact that I suck at trivia games and then I completely fail to meet this expectation. My team loses by a lot and they all blame it on me.

I feel like a similar expectation is placed on me when I play Dominion with people I don't play with often. I'm the guy with the amazing wooden box and all the expansions. I'm the guy who has been playing competitively and has the YouTube channel. Some of my opponents are seeing the cards for the first time. So maybe in a 4P game that puts my chance of winning up to 50%? That makes me really uncomfortable.

I mean, the high-skill high-variance nature of Dominion is something I put up with but I don't particularly like. Of course it's necessary or else the replay value of the game goes down.

In a 2P game I can chant ymyosl to myself so if I lose I can more feasibly go back on my game and try to figure out something I did wrong.

Also, to clarify, I'm not trying to say that 4P isn't worth playing at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's worth it for *me* to play 4P when I could just play any of the other games in my bag that can take 4 people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 10:11:44 am »

I never play 3p+ Dominion unless someone really wants to play Dominion in particular, with me in particular, and there are more than 2 players. There are a lot of games that can't be played with just 2, I'd rather play one of those whenever there are more than two players around. Or one of the games that could be played with 2, but are more interesting with more people (like Hanabi).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 11:36:44 am »
+3

Yeah I don't think 4P Dominion is worth playing. If any attack is present you just don't get to do anything that game. Most of the time you're playing Big Money and you break for Duchies because Provinces are never attainable. If there's a junking attack, just forget it. You're in for the long haul on a game where Estates, Curses, and probably Coppers run out. I don't think there's anything fun about that, I'd rather build an engine, but even on an engine board you can't really build anything cool with two Villages. Something about potatoes again.

I assume you're using hyperbole, but if the a 4-player game ends on Estates, Curses, and Coppers, your opponents are either morons or they're trolling you. That's just not how it goes.

I really dislike playing trivia games because usually they're team games and they say "Oh Adam is really smart, better not put him on the same team as [other smart person]" and then all of a sudden there's this huge expectation of me.

There's also the fact that I suck at trivia games and then I completely fail to meet this expectation. My team loses by a lot and they all blame it on me.

Your friends sound like jerks!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:30 am »
+1

Your friends sound like jerks!

Yeah but they're the only people I can get to hang out with me  :P

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 11:39:17 am »
+1

I assume you're using hyperbole, but if the a 4-player game ends on Estates, Curses, and Coppers, your opponents are either morons or they're trolling you. That's just not how it goes.

Mountebank slog?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.