Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Adventures Cards Power Ranking  (Read 15980 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures Cards Power Ranking
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »
+1

Not having ever played with Adventures, my impression would be that, in the absence of cards that can exploit Magpie's self-replication, Magpie is not so much super strong as something you have to contest to keep the other player in check, because getting all 10 for the price of one is definitely strong. But maybe the testers disagree?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 03:22:24 pm »
+1

It's not that you pursue Magpie when you want Treasures in your deck.  It's that Magpie makes it okay to have Treasures in your deck, and can make engines that otherwise would flounder with Treasures in them putter along just fine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »

Any cantrip that can gain copies of itself would have to have a pretty weak secondary effect to not be worth going for a lot of the time. Picking up straggling treasures that could otherwise clog your engine is anything but a weak effect, so I figured Magpie has to be pretty darn good. For that reason I actually think it's probably more useful in engines than in BM decks, funnily enough, though I'm not sure. Obviously it's still really good in BM decks. Also the Rats-like gaining is going to work brilliantly with TfB.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:01:07 pm by swedenman »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 06:24:56 pm »
+1

I think in almost every (2-player) game there will be a good reason to go for Magpie.  If either player wants to go for it, the other pretty much has to in order to contest it and prevent it from going crazy.  So as long as one player is going for a big money deck, or an engine without strong trashing, or an engine with TfB as payload, the other has to get Magpies to prevent his opponent from going nuts with them.  I think it will be pretty often that at least one player is going for one of those things.

That being said, it probably isn't great on strong engine boards with strong trashing without TfB payload potential (though even then maybe you can use them for pile control?).  I'm not really sure how often that exact kind of board comes up.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 07:32:38 pm »

I think in almost every (2-player) game there will be a good reason to go for Magpie.  If either player wants to go for it, the other pretty much has to in order to contest it and prevent it from going crazy.  So as long as one player is going for a big money deck, or an engine without strong trashing, or an engine with TfB as payload, the other has to get Magpies to prevent his opponent from going nuts with them.  I think it will be pretty often that at least one player is going for one of those things.

That being said, it probably isn't great on strong engine boards with strong trashing without TfB payload potential (though even then maybe you can use them for pile control?).  I'm not really sure how often that exact kind of board comes up.

Even with strong trashing, you might have one or two treasures left. That means if you get all 10 magpies, those that hit treasures will be labs and you only paid $4 for one Magpie.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:33 am »
+1

Personally, I don't like the journey token very much. That is why I would rate ranger lower than most people did so far because I consider it highly situational and only good with village support to play 2 of them consistently.

Miser seems like a card that you wantto make work, but don't most of the time. I agree that it should be on ther lower ranks.

Also, I don't think caravan guard is as bad if you can somehow gain them. Looks like an awesome upgrade/remake target in engines aswell as Haggler target if there are no other cheap engine components.

I'm not sure how strong artificier will be, though.

The card I'm most excited about is Haunted Woods. I think the attack will range from very bad (estates are trashed, only dead actions cards left) to very good in the greening phase. I'm most interested how silkroad/garden strategies work against a haunted woods engine, because it lets you have a dead turn almost every seconds turn.

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 10:55:16 am »

Miser definitely prefers slower games, but it's more reliable than Pirate Ship.  It's also really helped by Throne Room variants; that way, you can both reserve a Copper and get $ from the same Miser.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »

Miser definitely prefers slower games, but it's more reliable than Pirate Ship.  It's also really helped by Throne Room variants; that way, you can both reserve a Copper and get $ from the same Miser.
I see Miser as terminal money. If you want terminal money in your deck, Miser won't hurt you. Plus, you can always boost them with extra copper gains.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:56 pm »

I'm no pro, but Bridge Troll seems like a real power card, up there with Wharf.  It's also a lot more open to non-engine strategies, but suffers a little from not being Throneable (and it would be game-breakingly good if it were worded like Bridge, so good design on that).
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.