Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: American edition low quality???  (Read 5785 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
American edition low quality???
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
+2

I just went to a game night at a store that recently got Adventures in. Since I don't own the physical sets I was itching to dig in and play it, but then someone warned me that "it's the American edition". Apparently the first printing released in the US is substandard quality and it can't be combined with other sets because you'd be able to tell from the back which cards are Adventures cards???

The guy told me he knew this from a post online - I thought he was talking about f.ds but I couldn't find the post he was talking about. Has anyone come across this problem for real?

(I didn't get to play it either. :-\)
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: American edition low quality???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:02 am »
+2

I just went to a game night at a store that recently got Adventures in. Since I don't own the physical sets I was itching to dig in and play it, but then someone warned me that "it's the American edition". Apparently the first printing released in the US is substandard quality and it can't be combined with other sets because you'd be able to tell from the back which cards are Adventures cards???

The guy told me he knew this from a post online - I thought he was talking about f.ds but I couldn't find the post he was talking about. Has anyone come across this problem for real?

(I didn't get to play it either. :-\)

The "Made in America" boxes were printed by Hasbro (Adventures, newer prints of Dominion and Intrigue).  A lot of people have noticed a 'flimsier' quality to the cards printed by them.  The game is still totally playable, and only certain players will notice the difference in card stock enough for it to bother them; don't listen to people who say it isn't playable at all.  If you play sleeved, it also alleviates the problem from what I understand.

Note the expansions that have tokens (Seaside, Prosperity, Guilds) are still printed by the old company, so this isn't an issue with those at all.  Furthermore, if you had only planned to get the Base Set and Adventures, this is not a problem for you in the first place since the quality should be the same.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:18:24 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:42:01 am »
+1

All of my cards that were on the top face up in the shrink wrapped bricks were nicked and torn around all the edges as if a machine mangled them.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:55 am »
+4

If I have any lighting in my game room at all, the card backs are so different the game is completely unplayable at this point. While before I could kind of tell how new-ish a card was by looking at the wear and trying to think about it, now I'm forced into that knowledge without any conscious thought and it ruins shuffling and play decisions for me. I have to buy sleeves or not play Adventures now.

Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:02:53 am »

^ Ew.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:45 am »
+1

Misprints, miscuts and other issues were discussed in the Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff thread.

There's some variation among how "off" the cards are. One was as bad as 2 / 7 mm (top and bottom margins on the back). You have to try not to notice that while shuffling. However, some are closer to 3.5 / 4.5 mm, and you won't notice that unless you get out a ruler. And you probably already own some cards that off-center already and don't realize it - to confirm I wasn't crazy, I measured a random Gold from the base set and it was 3.5 / 4.5 mm off-center.

My problem affects 1 of 4 of the sealed "blocks" of cards the set arrives in. It contains Events, randomizers, blanks, the Peasant/Page upgrade lines (but not Peasant/Page themselves), and 4 Hirelings. And as I said before, there's variation on how badly off they are - some are, you will notice immediately while you shuffle, some aren't. And it doesn't matter if the Events, randomizers, and blanks are off-center anyway.

I've contacted RGG, but the variation within my own set on the size of the error makes me think I just got the bad end of a printing as something slowly slid out of place. It sounds like wero's set is affected much less, and again, I want to stress that some Dominion cards are already off-center and you won't notice if you don't dig out a ruler.

But the 2 / 7 mm ones, you'll notice that with the naked eye while you shuffle.

Yep - the cards are definitely, definitely flimsier, but I've now played almost a dozen games with Adventures cards, and it doesn't actually affect the game. You only notice it while you're holding the cards, and if you're holding your cards and trying not to know what they are, well, what are you doing?

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:11:17 am »

awful.jpg

Oh crap, that's really bad :(

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:02:39 pm »
+1

If I have any lighting in my game room at all, the card backs are so different the game is completely unplayable at this point. While before I could kind of tell how new-ish a card was by looking at the wear and trying to think about it, now I'm forced into that knowledge without any conscious thought and it ruins shuffling and play decisions for me. I have to buy sleeves or not play Adventures now.
You can send them in for replacements you know. The set is not just universally miscolored.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

You can send them in for replacements you know. The set is not just universally miscolored.

I didn't know that; I'll be contacting RGG shortly then. Thanks for letting me know this was an option. :)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 06:20:18 pm »
+1

Chris's set is definitely the only off-color set I've seen. Not saying there aren't more, but likely just from the end of a print run before they changed cartridges or something.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 06:50:02 pm »
+1

I hadn't checked until now, but Color is definitely off a bit on my set. It is hard to tell from pictures, but I don't think it is as much of a difference as Chris is seeing.  I was able to shuffle my stack of Rangers into the Provinces from my Base Cards, and separate them with no mistakes in less than 30 seconds only looking at the backs. 

I don't think I would be able to tell without practicing just by looking at one card at a time. I don't think there are many situations during game play where I would notice without consciously trying to cheat.

Edit:
After spending a lot more time with the cards tonight trying to decide how many of them were offset significantly enough to request replacements, I've decided my set is probably very similar to Chris's.  Sometimes when I looked at two cards side by side it seemed like it was barely different, but other times I would look down at them sitting next to the not-perfectly-centered Spy I was comparing them to and thought "man, those look like they are a very different color".

I emailed RGG tonight and inquired about the color difference in addition to the off center cards, so I will see what they say.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:16:00 am by Deadlock39 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.927 seconds with 21 queries.