Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Adventures on GameNight!  (Read 11422 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Dominion: Adventures on GameNight!
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:29:23 am »
+1

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Adventures on GameNight!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:35:30 am »
+1

Holy crap that's an hour long episode.  I just don't understand how these sorts of shows can just go on for that long.  Have they not heard of editing?

EDIT: Ohmigod he just called Ratcatcher a Village
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:38:53 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:39:09 am »
+5

One reason it's long is because every single board game reviewer ever thinks they have to explain the rules of the game for 20 minutes.  It's one reason I don't watch/read a ton of reviews.  I have no clue why this is seen as necessary in the community; when you read a film review, nobody summarizes the entire plot.  When you read a video game review, nobody tells you what all the controls do unless there's some cool gimmick they want to talk about.  In a music review, nobody goes over every single lyric.

Has anyone who's been playing board games longer than me got a good explanation for this?  I mean, instruction manuals exist, so if people want to know how to play they can look those up, right?  When I watch a review I am far more interested in the reviewer's experience with and opinion on the game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:40:04 am »

Holy crap that's an hour long episode.  I just don't understand how these sorts of shows can just go on for that long.  Have they not heard of editing?

Yeah, they just sort of turn the camera on, take their time explaining the rules, then play. I generally find them entertaining.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:35 am »

Has anyone who's been playing board games longer than me got a good explanation for this?  I mean, instruction manuals exist, so if people want to know how to play they can look those up, right?  When I watch a review I am far more interested in the reviewer's experience with and opinion on the game.

I probably haven't been playing board games longer than you, but personally I find it much, much easier to have someone explain the rules to me than to read the instruction.

Also, they have the link to the start of the game in the description, so you can easily skip that part if you want.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:18 am »
+2

Also "In this particular case, the curses". As if there's some games of Dominion that don't use the Curses. Ugh.

*Edit* So far he's used "worth" and "value" instead of "cost". Learn the basics of the game if you're going to teach the game!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:49:13 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
+2

I probably haven't been playing board games longer than you, but personally I find it much, much easier to have someone explain the rules to me than to read the instruction.

Also, they have the link to the start of the game in the description, so you can easily skip that part if you want.

Yes, I understand when playing that it's better to have someone explain the game.  But if I'm looking up a review of Hanabi, what I want to hear is what the reviewer thinks of the game, not how it's played in exhaustive detail.  What makes the game interesting?  Why is it different from other card games?  In every review I watch/read, I find myself skipping over half of it.  Even if they're going to explain how to play the game, I'd much prefer a shorter explanation that just gives you an idea of it, 1 minute tops.

Edit: Perhaps I'm not clarifying what I mean here entirely.  If you look on Boardgamegeek at the Dominion base set, there are probably hundreds of reviews there.  Almost every one of them, including the videos, contains a long section about how to play the game in detail.  This means if you want to read an assortment of opinions about the game, you can read the explanation one time and skip it every other time.  Thus, if 100 people explained it, 99 of them wasted their time writing it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:54:44 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:32 am »

Aaaaand the lady opened Silver/Silver with Magpie and Peasant on the board.  I can't watch anymore.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:21 am »
+1

I have never seen this show before. It's a bit surreal to see a bunch of random dudes and the guy who plays Harry Crane on Mad Men playing Dominion.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
+4

Oh my gee, that group angers me so much.

The one woman at the table wants to buy something, and the guy sitting next to her looks over at her hand and says "you have money left over, you should spend it!" and the other guys agree, and throw the card they think she should buy at her. They never look at each other's hands and criticize each other's play, but they feel the need to play the game for her and give her terrible advice. After T3 I couldn't watch any more of the video.

That kind of thing is the most irritating thing to deal with IRL. Don't give advice to people unless they ask for it. If they don't take your advice, DWI. This kind of thing makes games much less fun to play and makes these less-fun games take much longer than they should. Why do you have that person playing if you're just going to make all of their decisions for them?

If that happened in a group I was playing with I would just never play with them again. I certainly wouldn't make a video of that kind of behavior and put it on the internet. Ugh.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:34:40 am »

The one woman at the table wants to buy something, and the guy sitting next to her looks over at her hand and says "you have money left over, you should spend it!" and the other guys agree, and throw the card they think she should buy at her. They never look at each other's hands and criticize each other's play, but they feel the need to play the game for her and give her terrible advice. After T3 I couldn't watch any more of the video.

Yeah that was painful, and they have been criticised for that before.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:55 am »

When he describes the new mechanics that differentiate this expansion he omits the Tavern mat as one of those differentiators.

He says that when a card is trashed it is "removed from the game" which is entirely untrue. It's placed in the trash pile, which depending on the cards in the supply, may be quite accessible to the game as a whole.

Apparently anything that trashes is "a chapel". Only chapel is a chapel. All other trashers are trashers that are not chapel.

He made the statement that Adventures really brought in cards that allow you to trash (all kinds of chapels) as if Dark Ages never happened or every expansion doesn't have a trasher.

On the whole, I'd say the guy was quite ignorant of Dominion. After watching the opening buys I understood they all were and I wasn't going to learn anything from watching further. I will say it nice the expansion is getting exposure.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:59 am »
+8

He says that when a card is trashed it is "removed from the game" which is entirely untrue. It's placed in the trash pile, which depending on the cards in the supply, may be quite accessible to the game as a whole.

If I'm teaching the game, unless I'm teaching Dark Ages, I would also say this. I mean maybe I'd say "removed from your deck" instead, but it's not a big deal. Dominion is a game of exceptions to the rules. Normally trashing a card removes it from the game.

It's easy for us Dominion experts to criticize their ignorance of official terms and rules minutiae, but from what I watched they could be making a lot more mistakes than they are.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:48 am »
+1

Apparently anything that trashes is "a chapel". Only chapel is a chapel. All other trashers are trashers that are not chapel.

Well, Throne Room and King's Court are often called villages on this forum (not splitters), so I won't hold it against him for calling trashers chapels.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:46:58 am »

The main thing I'm finding annoying is that he's using Transmogrify as a delayed half-(non-thinning)-Remake and saying how good that is.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:17 am »
+1

If I'm teaching the game, unless I'm teaching Dark Ages, I would also say this. I mean maybe I'd say "removed from your deck" instead, but it's not a big deal. Dominion is a game of exceptions to the rules. Normally trashing a card removes it from the game.

It's easy for us Dominion experts to criticize their ignorance of official terms and rules minutiae, but from what I watched they could be making a lot more mistakes than they are.

I would agree with this if it were a group of people just hanging out and learning or playing Dominion together. But this is an internet series on board games. I'm not sure if the point of the show is to teach the game, or to have fans of the game watch it be played, or what, but either way when you have a show dedicated to playing Dominion and have it broadcast publicly, then you should be held to a higher standard than a casual gamer.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54:42 am »

One guy gets $18 and 2 buys...
"If you had $19 you could have bought 3 Provinces, because you could have bought a buy with Save."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:10 am »

Did you know that there's a rule that if Magpie finds a card that's both a treasure and an action card, then you get both effects?

Ok, so technically that's true, but still, ugh. Had he said Treasure and Victory at least it would make sense.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:49 am »

One guy gets $18 and 2 buys...
"If you had $19 you could have bought 3 Provinces, because you could have bought a buy with Save."

Yeah when he was first talking about Save he sounded like he was saying that buying Save would get you an extra buy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 11:00:56 am »
+2

I would agree with this if it were a group of people just hanging out and learning or playing Dominion together. But this is an internet series on board games. I'm not sure if the point of the show is to teach the game, or to have fans of the game watch it be played, or what, but either way when you have a show dedicated to playing Dominion and have it broadcast publicly, then you should be held to a higher standard than a casual gamer.

A lot of board games don't have such specific terminology, though. I think it's reasonable to expect that some liberties will be taken with the vocabulary.

I see what you mean, though. Probably a lot of their mistakes (like saying Curses are only in some games) were taught to them by somebody else. And now they're propagating those misconceptions to a large audience. That's unfortunate, but not a tragedy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:00 am »

He just put the card gained with Transmogrify in his discard pile. It was a Silver, and he only had $1 to spend that turn because of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:02:53 am by GendoIkari »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:23 am »

He just put the card gained with Transmogrify in his discard pile. It was a Silver, and he only had $1 to spend that turn because of it.

I knew that was going to happen when I heard him describing Transmogrify.  Do these people even read the cards they're playing?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 11:08:46 am »

What is Harry Crane from Mad Men doing in this video?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 11:24:35 am »
+7

What is Harry Crane from Mad Men doing in this video?

He's playing Dominion: Adventures.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 12:14:26 pm »
+2

When he describes the new mechanics that differentiate this expansion he omits the Tavern mat as one of those differentiators.

He made the statement that Adventures really brought in cards that allow you to trash (all kinds of chapels) as if Dark Ages never happened or every expansion doesn't have a trasher.

On the whole, I'd say the guy was quite ignorant of Dominion. After watching the opening buys I understood they all were and I wasn't going to learn anything from watching further. I will say it nice the expansion is getting exposure.

It's perfectly reasonable to call trashers chapels just like we call Fishing Village a village even though it doesn't have +1 Card like Village does.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.