Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stonemason/Potion - "less than"  (Read 2404 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Stonemason/Potion - "less than"
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:35:36 pm »
+1

For the purposes of Stonemason, could I trash a Scrying Pool and gain two Squires?  Is $2 less than $2P?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Stonemason/Potion - "less than"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
+4

Yes.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »

What is greater, a Transmute or a Poor House?  Both are greater than a Copper, but neither seem to be greater than each other.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »
+7

What is greater, a Transmute or a Poor House?  Both are greater than a Copper, but neither seem to be greater than each other.

Neither one is more than the other, so you can't Stonemason a Transmute into a Poor House or vice versa.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »
+1

2P costs P more than 2, so it is greater than 2.

1 costs P less than P, but 1 more than P, so it's not strictly less than this - it requires something more.

Easiest way to think of it is: Can you pay for what you want to gain if you played the cost of the trashed card itself in Coin, and still have something left over? If so, it's less than the cost of the trashed card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40:40 pm »

Neither one is more than the other, so you can't Stonemason a Transmute into a Poor House or vice versa.

I agree -- it was more of a rhetorical question.  But I guess another way to thing of it is:

1 apple is not greater than 1 orange, nor is 1 orange greater than 1 apple.  But 1 apple + 1 orange is greater than 1 apple, and 1 apple + 1 orange is also greater than 1 orange.  (Apples are coins and oranges are potions.)

But in the real world, i.e. in physics, you cannot say things like "1 gram plus 1 second is greater than 1 gram.", because you would never end up with some sort of physical meaning to the sum (1 gram plus 1 second) in the first place.

Lets leave Stonemason physics inside Donald's universe.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:22 pm »
+4

1 apple is not greater than 1 orange

Depends on the orange.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »
+1

But in the real world, i.e. in physics, you cannot say things like "1 gram plus 1 second is greater than 1 gram.", because you would never end up with some sort of physical meaning to the sum (1 gram plus 1 second) in the first place.

It works if you're talking about requirements, which is what costs are. If you had some kind of reaction which required 1 gram of something, one which required 1 second, and one which required both 1 gram of the something and 1 second, you'd say that the requirements for the third reaction are greater than for either of the first two, while neither of the first two are greater than the other.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »
+1

I agree -- it was more of a rhetorical question.  But I guess another way to thing of it is:

1 apple is not greater than 1 orange, nor is 1 orange greater than 1 apple.  But 1 apple + 1 orange is greater than 1 apple, and 1 apple + 1 orange is also greater than 1 orange.  (Apples are coins and oranges are potions.)

Are apples and oranges not part of the real world?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »
+1

Are apples and oranges not part of the real world?

How can apples and oranges be real if our eyes aren't real?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.