Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Horse Archer! The scourge of civility!  (Read 1539 times)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Horse Archer! The scourge of civility!
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:00:36 pm »
+1

Horse Archer $5
Action - Attack - Reaction

Draw up to 5 cards in hand, then trash 1 or discard 1 card from hand.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
---
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, play this.
Horse Archer is indeed a attack that can counter-attack. It does so by leaving your hand and attacking at the start of your turn, as if you'd played a Horse Archer from your hand and didn't have to use an action for it.

Admittedly, even without the Reaction portion, Horse Archer is a fairly useful Attack on its own. It can sift through your deck and clean out unwanted cards (triggering Tunnel or Market Square along the way), while also hitting everyone else with a discard attack. Horse Archers never increases your final hand-size beyond 4, but unlike Militia it can help you find more cards in your deck that might be better than +$2.

The Reaction portion does have some other consequences outside of protecting against attacks. If you're playing a kingdom that has cards which give +Actions but doesn't increase hand size (such as Warehouse), you can purposely reduce your card count in hand to trigger Horse Archer! The Attack from a set-aside Horse Archer would be delayed until your next turn, but would prevent multiple Horse Archers from being dead in your hand. You could also trigger the Reaction during your Buy phase by playing as many Treasures as you can and having no more than 2 dead cards left besides Horse Archer.
Nope that stuff is dumb, maybe better on another card for comboing but not this one.

Old version:
Horse Archer $5
Action - Attack - Reaction

Draw up to 6 cards in hand, then trash 1 or discard 1 card from hand.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
---
When you have fewer than 4 cards in hand, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, play this.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:01:12 pm by FishingVillage »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Horse Archer! The scourge of civility!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »

So draw up to 6 then trash one is basically Masquerade, which is a very powerful $3. So this has that plus a Militia attack; sounds too strong for $5 maybe.

The reaction is a neat concept; but it has a problem.... "when you have fewer than 4 cards in hand" is not an event; it's a situation. When exactly do you use the reaction? At any moment? There needs to be a specific event that it's responding to. It could be "when you discard or trash a card from hand, if you have fewer than 4 cards in hand..."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Horse Archer! The scourge of civility!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:10:48 pm »

So draw up to 6 then trash one is basically Masquerade, which is a very powerful $3. So this has that plus a Militia attack; sounds too strong for $5 maybe.

The reaction is a neat concept; but it has a problem.... "when you have fewer than 4 cards in hand" is not an event; it's a situation. When exactly do you use the reaction? At any moment? There needs to be a specific event that it's responding to. It could be "when you discard or trash a card from hand, if you have fewer than 4 cards in hand..."
Personally I think there's a lot more going on with Masq than just "draw up to 6, trash a card from hand". I guess drawing up to 5, then discarding/trashing would bring it more in line with Militia, but still a little stronger since it can sift and trash.

What if the event was "When a card leaves your hand, if you have fewer than 4 cards in hand..."?

Edit: Oh hmm, that's interesting... if Horse Archer only draws up to 5, then trashes/discards 1, then it's worse to have it trigger at the start of your turn, as that just takes 1 card from your hand. Maybe it'll be better to just increase the cost to $6...

Edit2: Actually yeah, I got a little overexcited on the idea and I admit to not thinking it through much. The trigger is interesting and I'd like to explore it for another card, but it's too powerful for this one. I'll pare Horse Archer down a bit but I'll leave the old version there for context.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:59:13 pm by FishingVillage »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.568 seconds with 20 queries.