Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First Game with Peasant: complicated and fun  (Read 5318 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
First Game with Peasant: complicated and fun
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Develop, Cutpurse, Worker's Village, Merchant Guild, Tactician, Peasant, Guide, Miser, Port, Treasure Trove
Provinces/Estates. The first game I’d played with a Traveler (5 cards from Adventures + 5 at random from other sets).  The Peasant (Teacher) + Double Tactician engine looks dominant, since if your opponent doesn't contest Ports it’s easy to pick up all 12 and use Teacher + Merchant Guild for huge payload.

I opened Develop-Miser and luckily Developed Miser into Tactician and Guide on turn 3 while buying Peasant. Then I headed for the Double Tactician + Ports + Merchant Guild engine, taking Worker’s Villages only after Ports ran out.  My opponent did not have much of a strategy, so I won easily. Initially I forgot that you can use Guide before drawing 5 more cards due to Tactician, it's a nice way to ensure that you get to the second Tactician in the early stages of the game.

How would people open here? Do you skip Miser? What are you building towards, in general, in an engine mirror?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: First Game with Peasant: complicated and fun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »

I'm not seeing how you can field enough $ without Miser.  You eventually can get a bit from Teacher, and you're getting some from Soldier, but a Tac engine would really want a lot of virtual money, and Miser is great for that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »

Tactician cycling seems good for both Miser and Peasant.

Is a Miser/Peasant opening viable? It'd get both of them started but won't do you any favors for reaching Tactician in the first place.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:37:51 pm »

Tactician cycling seems good for both Miser and Peasant.

Is a Miser/Peasant opening viable? It'd get both of them started but won't do you any favors for reaching Tactician in the first place.

Soldier can help you get to $5, as long as it doesn't collide with Miser.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 03:41:26 pm »

You can use +Coin Ports for payload, though they are probably better off with +Card.  One of the Villages will be a big card for you either way as long as the game lasts long enough for Teacher to matter.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:47:31 pm »

You can use +Coin Ports for payload, though they are probably better off with +Card.  One of the Villages will be a big card for you either way as long as the game lasts long enough for Teacher to matter.

Throw +Card on WV and +$ on Port.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:27:05 am »

sorry to ask a very stupid question, but where can i play with new cards from adventures?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:33:25 am »
+5

sorry to ask a very stupid question, but where can i play with new cards from adventures?

Buy a copy of Dominion: Adventures and add it to your Dominion collection at home.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
+1

They are not currently available in the online version, and as far as I know, the latest information we have on them is along the lines of, "Adventures will be one of the priorities over the next few months." If you're in America, you should be able to pick up the physical version from your FLGS (Friendly Local Games Store). I'm sure there are plenty of ways to order it online. Of course, the jury's out over whether it's best to buy the current version or wait until after they've fixed the issues a lot of people have had.

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:54 pm »

They are not currently available in the online version, and as far as I know, the latest information we have on them is along the lines of, "Adventures will be one of the priorities over the next few months." If you're in America, you should be able to pick up the physical version from your FLGS (Friendly Local Games Store). I'm sure there are plenty of ways to order it online. Of course, the jury's out over whether it's best to buy the current version or wait until after they've fixed the issues a lot of people have had.

What issues? I haven't heard anything about a re-release.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »

The cards are 'bendier' than previous cards.  Some people (not a majority it seems) have printing errors and misaligned cards.  Pathfinding's art is messed up.

It will probably be a long time before the bendy issue is fixed.  The set may not be reprinted for like a year.  European versions may lack these errors.  You can e-mail RGG to mail you replacements of cards with print errors.  I don't know if anything will be done about Pathfinding.  On the bright side, the black space there looks like a tree so you could pretend it's a tree.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 04:18:08 pm »
+2

The cards are flimsier than previous releases. Most people don't even notice (can confirm this personally, I did but my friends haven't). There have been some (occasionally hilarious) miscut cards but RGG has been replacing those like normal. I would only recommend delaying if you've got a not-really-OCD-but-what-people-call-OCD thing going on about your cards.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

That's disappointing and surprising to hear about the printing quality. Dominion is a flagship game for RGG. I would think they would make extra effort to catch these issues before distribution.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 07:21:20 pm »

The cards are flimsier than previous releases. Most people don't even notice (can confirm this personally, I did but my friends haven't). There have been some (occasionally hilarious) miscut cards but RGG has been replacing those like normal. I would only recommend delaying if you've got a not-really-OCD-but-what-people-call-OCD thing going on about your cards.

I noticed the flimsiness right away. Actually, people weren't even talking about it which surprised me because it was super obvious to me and very annoying. To me anyway, the flimsiness really stands out. With that said, if you play irl, just buy the set. Adventures is awesome and worth having. And, yah, I think RGG needs to be doing more on damage control than they are.

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:21 pm »

Dang. I think I'm the type of person who would probably be bothered by the flimsy cards. Oh well, I still want it badly enough that I'll probably just buy it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »

That's disappointing and surprising to hear about the printing quality. Dominion is a flagship game for RGG. I would think they would make extra effort to catch these issues before distribution.

It was implied by Donald, though neither stated nor confirmed, that the Prince promos were printed by Hasbro, so as to give RGG a chance to check their quality before outsourcing Adventures.  Apparently QC from one thing to the next isn't high on Hasbro's to-do-list.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:19 pm »
+3

I imagine the problem is pretty blown out of proportion, as many of the reviews on Amazon and such don't even mention it.  Neither did the Dice Tower.  My copy has not arrived yet, so I can't say.  It's probably a psychological thing for some--they perceive a problem because others mentioned it online and now they notice it when they wouldn't have otherwise.  Hopefully MakingFun implements the new thinness of cards well.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »

It was implied by Donald, though neither stated nor confirmed, that the Prince promos were printed by Hasbro, so as to give RGG a chance to check their quality before outsourcing Adventures.  Apparently QC from one thing to the next isn't high on Hasbro's to-do-list.

I believe Donald later clarified that Hasbro did not print Prince, but did print one or more earlier promos. So probably not an intentional test, but it did turn out well and gave the impression that they would be able to maintain quality on a full set. That didn't happen.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »

I imagine the problem is pretty blown out of proportion, as many of the reviews on Amazon and such don't even mention it.  Neither did the Dice Tower.  My copy has not arrived yet, so I can't say.  It's probably a psychological thing for some--they perceive a problem because others mentioned it online and now they notice it when they wouldn't have otherwise.  Hopefully MakingFun implements the new thinness of cards well.
I noticed they were different right when I unwrapped them.  they don't rest quite flat and have a natural curve.  Along with being thinner/bendier

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:52:00 pm »

I noticed it briefly before hearing about it, but I brushed it off as nothing; it never occurred to me that they might actually be different from the previous sets.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 08:19:12 am »

I disagree. I was one of the earlier people to get my set, and yah, the quality really stood out to me, much more than I thought it would.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 22 queries.