Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 6 Cards-Theme is cards that combo well with trash-for-benefits  (Read 5505 times)

Phillipnotphil

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
6 Cards-Theme is cards that combo well with trash-for-benefits
« on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:02 pm »

Commentary:
Belltower-I love trash-for-benefit cards, and I wanted to make a card that made them a better contender to big money. However, this card could also be used to perform multiple attacks every turn. I don't think that makes this card overpowered though because if you play this for the megaturn, any money you get from attacks is useless and when you stop playing it for the megaturn, your deck will be too starved for silver and gold to be able to buy enough provinces. I envision this combo-ing well with Ambassabor, Masquerade, Bureaucrat, Sea Hag, Remodel, Remake, Develop, Workshop, etc.

Cathedral-I like the idea of a trasher that just hangs around until it is needed, reducing the importance of luck. Might be overpowered, especially considering how good Lookout is. Maybe no +1 card?

Inheritance-I didn't I have room to fit the clause "When you play this card" at the beginning and "this card is worth " before the +1$. Just know those are SUPPOSED to be there. Hopefully I made it clear with the big "1" that this card is always worth at least 1, but can be worth up to 4$. Might be too good with Tunnel.

Forgery-I spent a long time with the wording for this. Obviously combos well with Grand Market, Highway, KC, etc. Probably overpowered in games with good cards and underpowered in games with bad cards.

Plague-I don't know, this just sounded wacky. Combos well with trash-for-benefits, Library/Watchtower, and Conspirator.

Tax Collector-I think this card has a lot of potential. In case the text on the card isn't clear, the value-changing effect is permanent and applies to all players (if it were a real card it would probably have you placing tokens to keep track of price). Taking a while to build a really good engine? Why not make Provinces worth 10 to put them out of reach of your less-rich opponent. Or, if you notice your opponent is making a deck that averages 10 every turn but with 1 buy, play two Tax Collectors to make Provinces worth 4 and snap those provinces up faster. Do you have all the curses? Play three of these to make curses worth 6, then remodel them into provinces. This card might shake up the game a little too much, but I feel that if could only change the value by one it would be too slow to be interesting.

Thoughts? These cards are very rough and I admit I have not playtested any of them (no one in my group ever wants to play with custom cards :().

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Cards-Theme is cards that combo well with trash-for-benefits
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:25:10 pm »

Belltower + Goons. Buy all the curses, end the game.

I don't understand Plague. When you say "this card is worth" are you talking about it's cost or how much money it produces (to use Coppersmith's terminology)?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Phillipnotphil

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

^OK, Belltower probably needs some sort of clause that prevents victory point gain or something. I still think there's some way it could work. That specific Goons problem could be fixed by changing it to the much less elegant "You can't make any buys this turn."

Plague's price is what goes up (as in, play a plague, then play remodel on another plague to turn it into a gold).

EDIT: Plague/Bishop is another gamebreaker. Not sure how to fix that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:42:21 pm by Phillipnotphil »

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »

Black Market- Forgery has the potential to be a bit overpowered. You get the only curser in the black market deck? By 10 Forgeries and spam it like crazy. But this seems like a fringe case.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Phillipnotphil

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:47 pm »

^ True, but to do that you need to get both in the same hand, and that turn you play the Forger on the curser instead of cursing. Also, you need to already have three or more forges to actually get more cursers out of doing that. But yeah, it's still a gamebreaking fringe case.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

An infinite loop exists in Forgery if Forgery is itself the card on the mat. It is possible to play a Forgery continually by always picking to play the card on the mat every time you must play a Forgery.

Tydude

• Baron
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

You can also create an infinite loop with Cathedral if you have two in hand and continually put them on top of your deck, drawing the previous Cathedral with each Cathedral.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

Belltower: this combos really really well with any kind of deck where you want a lot of cheap actions. Or even just an early trasher. Or powerful attacks, a la saboteur (which this actually makes pretty decent). Or feasts. Or highway. Or just islands and/or great hall. You can really run piles out fast with this puppy. I'm guessing it's overpowered.
Cathedral: Make it go back on your deck at the end of your turn. As it's worded right now, two of these will create an infinite loop. With the change, it's not very wowing to me eyes, but maybe just a fine card.
Inheritance: Very interesting. Very good with tunnel, but that's ok. Probably a little on the strong side, but not necessarily too strong. Interesting little card. I like it.
Forgery: It looks brokenly strong. But I actually think, because it's going to be extremely slow to set up, it's probably worthlessly weak
Plague: Should say 'costs' rather than 'is worth'. Um, I don't really understand the point of this. I mean, it'll deplete really fast, but because you probably don't want a lot of these, you probably almost never want it at all. It's excessively weak? I don't know. But I don't really have a good feel for it. Maybe it's fine.
Tax Collector: Well, you can do some cute things with remodel or upgrade (which I assume was your intent, based on how it's worded), potentially, though because it's terminal, that's sorta tough. But the bigger thing is wahtwthasdkf this thing is super powerful. Yeah, it's a one-shot, but its effect is quite usually better than Princess, which is a prize. You're just almost always going to pick 2 (though the option to pick 1 makes it even STRONGER), and you'll usually pick province. Or if it's early, like gold or something. You can grab double anything pretty easy with these. And with any way of playing multiples - which happens pretty often - BOOM, you end the game in one massive mega-turn. Way too easily. I call broken.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 09:58:06 pm »

Also it's not immune to KC.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Phillipnotphil

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:04 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! Here are some possible changes:

Belltower: The megaturn option should only make it draw 2 or maybe just 1 additional card(s). If that's still too strong with KC, it could have a "while this is in play" clause on the megaturn option. Still potentially very unbalanced.

Cathedral: Have it go on top at the end of the turn like WanderingWinder suggested. Still not terrible exciting, but they can't all be crazy.

Forgery: Only playtesting can tell if it's too slow, too powerful, or balanced. I like the overall idea but if it's no fun to play with it's a bad card. If I had the room I'd make it say you couldn't play it on other forgeries.

Inheritance: Playtesting might show this is worth 5.

Plague: It's just too silly and situational. I still like the idea of a card that gives you a copy of itself every time you play, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

Tax Collector: You're right, it should only change cards by 1$. And remember, if you play it to cheapen the provinces any other time than the last turn, your opponent can also take advantage of that deal.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:45:53 am »

Oh, there are also some wording issues (for example, you probably want an anti-negative clause on tax collector).
Now that I read more closely, I have much bigger misgivings about Tax Collector: First, making permanent changes greatly troubles me. You need something to mark the changes, of course, but even if you have some kind of tokens... well maybe it would work. But increasing costs is a big, big problem, as we discussed long ago in a thread for a card called inflation, because it can get you to a stuck game state by inflating out like copper and then having no one be able to buy anything. It's fringe, but it has the potential to absolutely destroy the game.

Phillipnotphil

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »

But there is a limited amount of damage a one-shot can do. Sure you could make coppers cost 5 and silvers cost 6, etc. but you can't make every card unpurchasable. There's also tons of cards that can gain you coppers and silvers. And this card will probably mostly be used to cheapen cards. I think a game where emptying three piles is actually impossible is a really, really fringe case.

And yeah, I forgot the "not less than zero" clause. Pretend it's there for now.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

But there is a limited amount of damage a one-shot can do. Sure you could make coppers cost 5 and silvers cost 6, etc. but you can't make every card unpurchasable. There's also tons of cards that can gain you coppers and silvers. And this card will probably mostly be used to cheapen cards. I think a game where emptying three piles is actually impossible is a really, really fringe case.

And yeah, I forgot the "not less than zero" clause. Pretend it's there for now.
Ah, but as soon as you have no money and no money-making at all in your deck, and coppers cost even 1, you can't ever buy a thing.
Ok, this won't happen probably, but I'm one of those crazy people who worries about degenerate edge cases.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:51 pm »

I suspect a multiplayer game with Saboteur can get to a degenerate edge case without too much trouble. Consider a game where players play two of these to raise the cost of Copper to 4, and then two of those to LOWER the cost of  Saboteur to 2. Suddenly, every single treasure in your deck is easily destroyed, and the only thing people can afford is Sab...

Eh, it's not even that hard to get to. Say a few people open with Tax Collector. Someone draws C-C-TC-E-E and decides to get a Saboteur. Now Saboteurs are worth 3. Next person wants to get a Saboteur, but is scared that his Sab will get destroyed before he has a chance to use it, so he lowers the cost to 2 with TC. Now you've got 2-cost sabs floating around, it's only a matter of time before some joker (or the guy with the most Sabs) decides that it would be fun if his Sabs hit the other guys copper too... Maybe there would be some resistance to it with other people playing Tax Collectors to LOWER the cost of Copper - but maybe they'll have spent their TCs lowering the cost of other cool things they want to buy. Throne rooms to throne room the sabs!

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:51 am »

Can you explain to me what Bell Tower is good for exactly? I don't really get it...

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:51 am »

Can you explain to me what Bell Tower is good for exactly? I don't really get it...

Any turn where you don't want to use your buy. For example, a multiple Ironworks or University turn (and you should be able to get multiple off thanks to the +4 Cards and +2 Actions), or drawing your whole deck so you can Forge away all of the rubbish in one fell swoop, or emptying out the Curses on your opponent to get a healthy 7-3 or better split etc.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.