Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2.0 Closed Beta Begins  (Read 27980 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 Closed Beta Begins
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2015, 10:54:27 am »
+1

The closed beta folks who've been active
...So some of the closed beta folks haven't been active and so are stealing precious spots from us who didn't get one?  >:(

I am certain they won't go to a final release without the crucial improvements to the "opponent topdecks a card with Watchtower" animation where your expertise is of the utmost importance.

So you're saying once a Goko, always a Goko?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
+1

The closed beta folks who've been active
...So some of the closed beta folks haven't been active and so are stealing precious spots from us who didn't get one?  >:(

I am certain they won't go to a final release without the crucial improvements to the "opponent topdecks a card with Watchtower" animation where your expertise is of the utmost importance.
I would like it if they made the opponent press 'done revealing reactions' whenever they have a reaction in their deck, even if it isn't in hand, so that you can't tell if they have watchtower in hand or not. But actually that might be more annoying than useful.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »

Bear in mind that the testers can't say anything, whether it be praising or complaining.

Which makes it one of the strangest closed betas in recent memory.

Ugh, to the public, not to the developers.  Although I also can't say how talkative we've been to them either.

When Hearthstone was in closed beta, people were live-streaming it.  NDAs are so far from the new normal as to be suspicious, except in cases where IP is involved, and all of the IP of Dominion is already out there.  If it's not good enough to let us hear about it, it's better to not announce the existence of a beta test.

Really? Blizzard is the yard-stick?

No, because--ignoring, for the moment, console-focused publishers--PC-game and online game publishers are having somewhat open alpha phases, and many are even allowing buy-in during the "closed" beta.  Making Fun is much closer in scale to, say, Kerbal Space Program or Prismata than to Blizzard.

We're all keen to hear how awesome the new version is, which is precisely why the beta testers shouldn't be talking about it until it actually is sufficiently awesome.

Though SFS's reply to this above is also correct, my point earlier was that they should not have made the existence of the beta public until it was sufficiently awesome for the beta testers to actually discuss it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »
+1

Making Fun is much closer in scale to, say, Kerbal Space Program or Prismata than to Blizzard.
Which is why it has been so hard for them to deal with log-in issues, server capacities etc.  Serving 400 players at a time has got to be more difficult and more resource intensive than serving 1,000,000 players at a time, right? Cause there are no economies of scale.  ;)
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2015, 09:01:30 pm »
+4

No, because--ignoring, for the moment, console-focused publishers--PC-game and online game publishers are having somewhat open alpha phases, and many are even allowing buy-in during the "closed" beta.  Making Fun is much closer in scale to, say, Kerbal Space Program or Prismata than to Blizzard.

But it's not even about scale. Those games are using a fully open public alpha/beta model as a way to launch new games.
It's more to do with marketing than testing.

MF are running a closed beta to test a new version of a currently available game.
It would run completely counter to their marketing aims to make an unpolished version widely available.

Though SFS's reply to this above is also correct, my point earlier was that they should not have made the existence of the beta public until it was sufficiently awesome for the beta testers to actually discuss it.

I can't really get behind the concept that no info is better than some info.
I agree that it's frustrating that we don't know more, but I'm still happy that we know that the project has at least progressed as far as it has.

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »
+12

Hi,

The reason for the beta test is to get testing and bug reports/feedback. The reason for it being private is it's not ready for being public. You know, still alpha, feature-incomplete, in-progress. It doesn't help anybody to have mountains of forums discussing how much features X and Y suck when we know X and Y are only half done. It's actually a big distraction from development. Better to get a bit further first. This is also Donald's view, and most likely, you probably first read the Adventures cards when he previewed them after the game was manufactured.

That said... we are trying out this crazy idea of getting testers involved in the process as soon as it is possible. Right now there are a limited number of slots, because processing all the feedback takes time away from development also. If you are interested in joining the closed beta test, you promise to keep it secret, you have an email+password login on your account (not Facebook/Google+/Twitter for right now), you're playing on Windows, MacOS, or Linux, and you'd find it interesting to play on a feature-incomplete system, please message me this info: your name, your email, your Dominion Online login (if different from your email), your Making Fun forum name (create one if you don't have it), and what OS you are on. I'll add the first 25 complete replies.

Or you could just wait, because in a couple weeks we'll open up the beta for everybody to test. :-)

Right now we are only testing Windows, MacOS, and Linux native builds. We'll start focusing on finalizing the web builds in mid-June and then move on to finalizing builds for tablets.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 09:03:04 pm »
+1

Hi,

The reason for the beta test is to get testing and bug reports/feedback. The reason for it being private is it's not ready for being public. You know, still alpha, feature-incomplete, in-progress. It doesn't help anybody to have mountains of forums discussing how much features X and Y suck when we know X and Y are only half done. It's actually a big distraction from development. Better to get a bit further first. This is also Donald's view, and most likely, you probably first read the Adventures cards when he previewed them after the game was manufactured.

That said... we are trying out this crazy idea of getting testers involved in the process as soon as it is possible. Right now there are a limited number of slots, because processing all the feedback takes time away from development also. If you are interested in joining the closed beta test, you promise to keep it secret, you have an email+password login on your account (not Facebook/Google+/Twitter for right now), you're playing on Windows, MacOS, or Linux, and you'd find it interesting to play on a feature-incomplete system, please message me this info: your name, your email, your Dominion Online login (if different from your email), your Making Fun forum name (create one if you don't have it), and what OS you are on. I'll add the first 25 complete replies.

Or you could just wait, because in a couple weeks we'll open up the beta for everybody to test. :-)

Right now we are only testing Windows, MacOS, and Linux native builds. We'll start focusing on finalizing the web builds in mid-June and then move on to finalizing builds for tablets.

Yo, I'm all down on this. Take your time, a delayed good product is better than a shoddy one on time.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2015, 02:27:21 am »
+8

If you are interested in joining the closed beta test...
I'll accept people and email them details on Monday.

I've posted a summary of our roadmap here:
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?6715-Version-2-Coming&p=34309#post34309
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 21 queries.