Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: interested in learning this game but not sure whether to jump in now...  (Read 5414 times)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
+3

hi all,

so i've been playing the heck out of power grid on BSW for well over a year now, and am considering picking up another game.  dominion appears to be the likely answer, but i see a conundrum here...

i have no intention of getting the physical game (for the foreseeable future anyway).  this would be strictly online grinding.  problems there are:

- apparently nobody knows when the new expansion will be added to the online version

- there's that mysterious steam version that's supposedly coming out not TOO far from now?

basically i'm not sure if it's worth shelling out any money on goko, or if i should just wait for the steam release.  i'm kinda blindly assuming the steam one would have all the expansions considering how long this game's been around, so please let me know if there's something i'm missing here!

i guess i could just play the AI on goko with the base deck for now to figure out the fundamentals...but then what?  i would greatly appreciate any advice here.  i'm more than willing to pay to play online - i just don't want to end up doing it twice!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:52:00 am by funkdoc »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
+1

Welcome!

First, if you're thinking of playing online, I (and pretty much everybody else on these forums) would suggest you get the Salvager extension.  It adds many needed features to the online game.

Second, you can play with all sets by playing with others that have them.  I'm sure many people on here would be happy to play with you.

I don't know anything about the Steam release, but I've thought they would have the same purchase system as the online version, and if you've bought the sets online, you would get them on the Steam version too.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile

You wouldn't be paying twice. If you buy the cards now, you'll still have them when the new version comes out.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile

Are you the same funkdoc who speedruns stuff?

One thing you can do is join the Dominion league and stream your games. Lots of the top players like watching streams and giving advice.

Second, you can play with all sets by playing with others that have them.  I'm sure many people on here would be happy to play with you.
Yes with the Salvager extension you can set your automatch settings to only find people who have paid for cards. I did this for several hundred games before shelling out money.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile

hi all,

so i've been playing the heck out of power grid on BSW for well over a year now, and am considering picking up another game.  dominion appears to be the likely answer, but i see a conundrum here...

i have no intention of getting the physical game (for the foreseeable future anyway).  this would be strictly online grinding.  problems there are:

- apparently nobody knows when the new expansion will be added to the online version

- there's that mysterious steam version that's supposedly coming out not TOO far from now?

basically i'm not sure if it's worth shelling out any money on goko, or if i should just wait for the steam release.  i'm kinda blindly assuming the steam one would have all the expansions considering how long this game's been around, so please let me know if there's something i'm missing here!

i guess i could just play the AI on goko with the base deck for now to figure out the fundamentals...but then what?  i would greatly appreciate any advice here.  i'm more than willing to pay to play online - i just don't want to end up doing it twice!

Goko no longer makes the game. Making Fun is working on a 2.0 version of the game that will be on multiple platforms including steam, tablets and have a unity version. The 2.0 version is supposed to be cross-platform capable, so someone using steam can play against someone using a tablet. Also, all purchases made on the current version will be transferred to the 2.0 version.

As far as Adventures goes, the plan is to get the 2.0 version up and running first and then program the expansion, so it will be a bit of a wait regardless of what platform you play on.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+1

No reason not to play now. The new version of the game, whenever it comes out, will honor your old purchases, and it's probably better to learn the game well before Adventures comes online anyway. Get Salvager and jump right in!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+1

No reason not to play now. The new version of the game, whenever it comes out, will honor your old purchases, and it's probably better to learn the game well before Adventures comes online anyway. Get Salvager and jump right in!

Though, there's the possibility that the new version will suck and then we can't have Salvager and then you've paid for a product that sucks. From what the Making Fun people have said on the forums, it sounds like the new version might actually be pretty good, but I would just install Salvager and try to play with other people's cards on the current version until you can actually play on the new version and confirm that it's something that you want to pay for. The wait is supposedly pretty short anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
+1

yep! =)  adamh knows me some because i've written power grid stuff for his blog in the past, and he was nice enough to plug mine once i wrote my own stuff for it.

i've streamed some pgrid before (have a really good 2-player set archived on my SRKfunkdoc stream) and definitely plan on doing the same for this once i get not terrible.  doing it from the main browser window would be annoying though - is there a pop-out option i'm missing somewhere?

also thanks for the advice, everyone! i already got salvager and knew about playing with people who have all the cards, but didn't realize the stuff you paid for would carry over.  i'm used to video games where that sort of thing hardly ever happens, so that's really reassuring!  will probably grind for the promos and buy the rest soon then.

BTW i'm pleasantly surprised at the AI in this.  only won like 1/3 of my games against it last night.  my experience is largely with fighting games, where if you know one decent combo you will murder the AI.  also do the bot names mean anything?  is bankerbot a big money player and villagerbot a real village idiot?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games

yep! =)  adamh knows me some because i've written power grid stuff for his blog in the past, and he was nice enough to plug mine once i wrote my own stuff for it.

i've streamed some pgrid before (have a really good 2-player set archived on my SRKfunkdoc stream) and definitely plan on doing the same for this once i get not terrible.  doing it from the main browser window would be annoying though - is there a pop-out option i'm missing somewhere?

also thanks for the advice, everyone! i already got salvager and knew about playing with people who have all the cards, but didn't realize the stuff you paid for would carry over.  i'm used to video games where that sort of thing hardly ever happens, so that's really reassuring!  will probably grind for the promos and buy the rest soon then.

BTW i'm pleasantly surprised at the AI in this.  only won like 1/3 of my games against it last night.  my experience is largely with fighting games, where if you know one decent combo you will murder the AI.  also do the bot names mean anything?  is bankerbot a big money player and villagerbot a real village idiot?

All of the bots are proficient with Big Money in my experience, but your idea of the AI is how it's intended.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
+1

Don't grind for the promos, use the Skip the Adventures code. I'd have preferred to pay $1 each to even going through the process of *not playing* the Adventures, really. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11083.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile

I think playing a at least a few of the Adventures matches from each set wouldn't be a bad idea for someone who isn't totally familiar with the cards. Definitely use the Skip Adventures code if it gets boring.  (and definitely use the skip code before version 1.0 is taken down as it will almost certainly stop working)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

<3

I'll probably have some time tomorrow if you wanted to play some games with all the cards. I may or may not stream, I dunno, we'll see. I mean, I really should be doing wedding stuff, but you know, Dominion.

You might also ask dethwing to play too, he has cards now, I hear whispers that he still plays with Artega sometimes. He said he knew you a while back.

Dominion is awesome though, you should totally give it a shot :)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
+1

will probably grind for the promos and buy the rest soon then.

DON'T DO IT!! Pay for the ones you can. It's only a few dollars.

Only Serf bot is really very different (it is the worst and basically buys random things).

The other bots are good for beginners or for quick solo play. Occasionally they will hit upon a good strategy or play simple strategies cleanly, but often they will start out strong, then purposely stall at the end (avoid buying Provinces or avoiding emptying piles for a turn or 2 when they can win) even when they play a decent strategy. They also will occasionally do strange things.

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile

thanks for the offers!  still got some work to do before i wanna play anyone else, haha.  i think i buy too much money when i'm going for engine strats...

oh here's a big issue: the volume.  dominion is just ridiculously louder than anything else (streams etc.) i have in chrome.  i don't see any volume controls specific to that, just the muting options.  a way of lowering the volume just for dominion would be really nice both for streaming and for not bugging my roommates...

EDIT: thanks for the heads up on the adventures too!  i'll probably just get the first adventure then, since i already have almost enough coins for it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:36:58 pm by funkdoc »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
+5

thanks for the offers!  still got some work to do before i wanna play anyone else, haha.  i think i buy too much money when i'm going for engine strats...

oh here's a big issue: the volume.  dominion is just ridiculously louder than anything else (streams etc.) i have in chrome.  i don't see any volume controls specific to that, just the muting options.  a way of lowering the volume just for dominion would be really nice both for streaming and for not bugging my roommates...

EDIT: thanks for the heads up on the adventures too!  i'll probably just get the first adventure then, since i already have almost enough coins for it.

I suggest turning off the music and sound effects.  Nobody watching your stream wants to hear them, and yes, they are extremely annoying.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile

Though, there's the possibility that the new version will suck and then we can't have Salvager and then you've paid for a product that sucks.

So I'm very encouraged that they have some very strong but also very opinionated Dominion players beta-testing this. I don't doubt that, even so, there will be some features people will not like. As far as implementing some "fix" a la Salvager might be more difficult, I did note that they will offer a "web" version of the client that will be the original source compiled down to Javascript targeting asm.js. Now, that would not necessarily be pleasant to hack on, but it would be conceivable. It's been a good decade since I've had to do anything remotely serious with Javascript, but this could be sufficient motivation.

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile

soooooo i think i permanently screwed myself out of walled village

i bought black market before i learned that you don't get enough tokens to buy all the cards that way.  at least i got the other two token-only cards but that still bugs me

please tell me there's some other way i'm missing here!

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
+1

As of now, no, unfortunately.

Walled village isn't particularly interesting of a card, at least.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile

It is likely Making Fun will eventually fix this unfortunate situation.  When eventually is, no one knows.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.