Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gear + BM  (Read 4136 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Gear + BM
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »
+6

I realize this is probably not the most scientific approach, but I just played an IRL solo game with Gear as the only Kingdom card.  Opened Gear/Gear, and otherwise played BM-ish.  I bought Provinces on turns 5, 11, 12, 14, and 15, which puts it on par with DoubleJack.  If I'd gotten a Gold on turn 5, things may have come around earlier, but I'm not sure.  Gear allows a lot of leeway in terms of adding green; it draws, it can save excess money for next turn, and it can hide away Victory cards during a reshuffle.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Gear + BM
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:17:06 pm »
+1

The more I think about Gear, the more I'm convinced that it's going to be one of the stronger $3 cards.  I think the most relevant comparison is actually Courtyard, not Haven.  Courtyard lets you look at more, but Gear can match it for final hand size if you don't set aside any cards.  Also note that if you set aside 0, Gear gets discarded right away.  If you do set aside a card, your next turn is better than it would be with Courtyard because it's a Haven effect, not a topdeck.  Moreover, you can set aside a second card if you wish.  Consider that if you set aside 2 cards, your next turn is comparable to a Wharf turn!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »

Just played another - same deal.  Got a lucky Gold on turn 4, and bought Provinces turns 6, 8, 9, and 13, with a Duchy on turn 11.

EDIT: What I'm not sure on is whether or not getting a third Gear helps any.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:30:17 pm »
+1

Just played another - same deal.  Got a lucky Gold on turn 4, and bought Provinces turns 6, 8, 9, and 13, with a Duchy on turn 11.

I think it would since you can always set aside a gear if you draw it dead.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:41:14 pm »
+19

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »

But if it were Silver instead, then you'd have $2 more this turn, or you could set that (or some other card) aside instead...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:26:03 pm »
+2

But if it were Silver instead, then you'd have $2 more this turn, or you could set that (or some other card) aside instead...

I'd think you would want a Gear in your next hand rather than a Silver. I mean, if you'd rather have Silver, then why ever buy a single Gear?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:01 pm »

I'd think you would want a Gear in your next hand rather than a Silver. I mean, if you'd rather have Silver, then why ever buy a single Gear?

You want two Gears so you can consistently draw.  You want Silvers and Golds so you consistently have enough coin. 

A third Gear is probably fine, and probably adds a bit more draw consistency, but you probably want it sometime after your second reshuffle.  The more Gears you add, the more you run the risk of setting aside two Gears, which then becomes just silly.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »
+2

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 06:12:18 pm »

I was thinking this! I bet it would be stronger than Courtyard.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:45:09 pm »
+2

A third Gear is probably fine, and probably adds a bit more draw consistency, but you probably want it sometime after your second reshuffle.  The more Gears you add, the more you run the risk of setting aside two Gears, which then becomes just silly.

Is it actually silly, though? Then next turn you just play one of those Gears and set aside the other. I'm guessing three Gears is the absolute minimum you want in a BM-Gear deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:03:49 pm »

Is it actually silly, though? Then next turn you just play one of those Gears and set aside the other. I'm guessing three Gears is the absolute minimum you want in a BM-Gear deck.

I dunno, it does pretty well with just two.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 21 queries.