Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adventures new mechanics and rules  (Read 3816 times)

King Donald

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Adventures new mechanics and rules
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:28:17 am »

Some questions about new cards, and tokens:
With which cards specifically are the new tokens played?

Since there is only one copy of each event, am I understanding right that it is played upon purchase?

With reserve cards is it discard pile upon purchase then once shuffled in play the top half such as (+1 action, +1 card) or whatever. Then during clean up placed on reserve mat to be called on to use at beginning of turn when needed?
Help in understanding appreciated in advance!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures new mechanics and rules
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:28:40 am »
+5

Not to be snide, but have you tried reading the rules? These are very basic questions that are all answered there.

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:48:07 am »
+2

Some questions about new cards, and tokens:
With which cards specifically are the new tokens played?
The Wiki probably covers this best: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Adventures_tokens#List_of_token_cards_and_Events

Since there is only one copy of each event, am I understanding right that it is played upon purchase?
Yes.

With reserve cards is it discard pile upon purchase then once shuffled in play the top half such as (+1 action, +1 card) or whatever. Then during clean up placed on reserve mat to be called on to use at beginning of turn when needed?
Mostly right. On play though, reserve cards technically go to the Tavern mat immediately, even if in practice you may want to wait until clean-up for this. This is relevant for cards such as Duplicate and Royal Carriage, which can be called at times other than the start of your turn. You may play a Royal Carriage, move it to the Tavern, play another action, and then call your Royal Carriage immediately to replay it.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:45 am »
+3

Yes.

Not quite. They are never played. The Event card stays where it is. The Event (which is the thing being bought) does what it says when you buy it.

Mostly right. On play though, reserve cards technically go to the Tavern mat immediately, even if in practice you may want to wait until clean-up for this. This is relevant for cards such as Duplicate and Royal Carriage, which can be called at times other than the start of your turn. You may play a Royal Carriage, move it to the Tavern, play another action, and then call your Royal Carriage immediately to replay it.

It also matters for cards that care about what you have in play, like Peddler, Mint, Bank, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Bonfire, Pilgrimage, Royal Carriage...
I would suggest not keeping it in play until Clean-up, but rather putting it close to your Tavern mat.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »
+1

You never "play" events. It's not like a card that you take and play. Rather you simply do whatever the event says to do when you buy it.

Help in understanding appreciated in advance!

No. They go to your discard pile when you gain them just like any other card does. When you play it, you do whatever it says to do above the line, which will include "put this on your tavern mat". Then the card can be called (moved from the tavern mat to the play area) whenever the card says it can be called; this is different for each card.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! We have games.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:52:06 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »

Yes.

Not quite. They are never played. The Event card stays where it is. The Event (which is the thing being bought) does what it says when you buy it.

It also matters for cards that care about what you have in play, like Peddler, Mint, Bank, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Bonfire, Pilgrimage, Royal Carriage...
I would suggest not keeping it in play until Clean-up, but rather putting it close to your Tavern mat.

What do you mean putting it "close to" your Tavern mat? You put it on your Tavern mat, just like the cards say.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »
+2

What do you mean putting it "close to" your Tavern mat? You put it on your Tavern mat, just like the cards say.

Of course. Check out the post I was replying to. It was a better alternative to DLloyd09's suggestion: "even if in practice you may want to wait until clean-up for this."
So just how you might want to do it to remind yourself that it was played this turn (if it does something this turn). Technically it's on your Tavern mat.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 03:29:15 pm »

Of course. Check out the post I was replying to. It was a better alternative to DLloyd09's suggestion: "even if in practice you may want to wait until clean-up for this."
So just how you might want to do it to remind yourself that it was played this turn (if it does something this turn). Technically it's on your Tavern mat.

As far as I know, Conspirator is the only time when you would ever need to remember that you played it this turn, and you would only need to remember for 1 or 2 more card plays. The only other edge case I can think of is if you used a Throne Room / King's Court / Procession on a non-terminal one; you would need to know how many actions you have remaining.

*Edit* All those other cards listed don't interact with Reserve Cards, because the Reserve Cards are no longer in play the turn they they were played.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:34:56 pm by GendoIkari »

King Donald

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

Thanks for the help everyone.  I only played one quick game yesterday and these were the questions I had.  I realize they were simple but was unsure if I was doing everything correctly.  I also had seen the wiki page prior but maybe missed the addition of the tokens sub section, thanks DLloyd for the link.    Play on...
P.S.- How is everyone liking these cards so far, I think they are quite interesting additions...

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:56:52 pm »

As far as I know, Conspirator is the only time when you would ever need to remember that you played it this turn, and you would only need to remember for 1 or 2 more card plays. The only other edge case I can think of is if you used a Throne Room / King's Court / Procession on a non-terminal one; you would need to know how many actions you have remaining.

Sigh. All cards you play this turn matter, because either they give you actions or they use up actions. If I play Duplicate and forgot that I played it this turn, I think I have one more action than I do. I would not remember the +$4 from Wine Merchant or the +$1 from Coin of the Realm.

*Edit* All those other cards listed don't interact with Reserve Cards, because the Reserve Cards are no longer in play the turn they they were played.

That was my point. Read it all again more carefully please.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

Sigh. All cards you play this turn matter, because either they give you actions or they use up actions. If I play Duplicate and forgot that I played it this turn, I think I have one more action than I do. I would not remember the +$4 from Wine Merchant or the +$1 from Coin of the Realm.

That was my point. Read it all again more carefully please.

Somehow I missed using up actions, and Wine Merchant. As for the list, when you said it matters for cards that care about what's in play, it sounded to me like you were suggesting a reason why they should be placed near the mat, but not on the mat yet; as opposed to saying that it's wrong to keep them in play after playing them. Either reading seems possible from the post itself.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.