Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Big Money can't be dominant here... can it?  (Read 2788 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Big Money can't be dominant here... can it?
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:01 pm »
+1

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19066311

Kingdom: Moat, Village, Feast, Smithy, Spy, Throne Room, Council Room, Laboratory, Library, Market

Technically, this topic falls outside the board rules since I'm not providing an isotropic log to the game (sorry about that), but it still seems like the best place to post it. Anyway the BGG thread should give context - TC was asking about if anything can beat BM + Council Room on this board. Looking at the engine components you have - Village, Smithy, Throne Room, Lab, Market, it really feels to me like you should be able to manage something better. You do lack any kind of trashing or sifting, but you have extra actions, buys and draw, which means you have most of what an engine should need.

I did make a suggestion on how an engine could be built in the thread, but it didn't seem to get much interest - one person tested it and said it wasn't very effective. I doubt what I suggested was optimal, but I would at least think it should have a reasonable chance of working, so perhaps it needs adjusting?

Am I wrong? Is this really just a big money board? Or how can the engine work if not?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Big Money can't be dominant here... can it?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:33 pm »
+1

A big problem is that there's no trashing.  That could make things a lot harder.

Also, isn't BM+Smithy better than BM+Council Room?  That would beat BM + Council Room.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »

With no trashing and poor payload, I wouldn't bet on the engine.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »
+1

The other issue is that Market and Council Room are the only +buy cards. They are expensive. Throne Room - Feast helps ever so little.... So it will take longer to ramp up the engine because there is little ability to gain multiple pieces a turn early in the game. You can't even grab a free Spy or three to slow down the CR-money player some. Throw Workshop or Remodel and I would be happier going engine, but as it is, not so much.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »

Also, isn't BM+Smithy better than BM+Council Room?  That would beat BM + Council Room.
BM+Smithy has a better BM matchup than BM+Council Room.
BM+Council room has a better Engine matchup than BM+Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:42:19 pm by pubby »

drbobjack

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:06:51 pm »

I attempted running the sim in the article mentioned. I agree in feeling the engine doesn't really work sans trashing, but I am not a super great player, so.

While normally BM-Smithy beats BM-Council Room (by a couple %), my expectation is that with two opponents the +buy from CR becomes more important and the amount you lose by giving your opponent an additional card decreases.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.