Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tokens on Empty Piles  (Read 1689 times)

juffowup

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Tokens on Empty Piles
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:39:48 pm »
+1

Sorry if asked before but I can't see it...
Does a token do anything if it's on an action card pile that has become emptied?  Can I put one on a pile that's already empty?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Tokens on Empty Piles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:00 pm »
+1

Yes and yes. Tokens don't care if the pile they're on is empty (though the trashing token doesn't do much in that case).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:10:58 am »
+3

Yes and yes. Tokens don't care if the pile they're on is empty (though the trashing token doesn't do much in that case).

The only exception to this is when using Seaway, which requires a card gain before moving the +Buy token.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:36:22 am »

The only exception to this is when using Seaway, which requires a card gain before moving the +Buy token.

Seaway doesn't have an "if you do" clause, though, so it would seem you can still move the +Buy to an empty pile; you just don't get to execute the first instruction on the card.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:45:15 am »
+3

Seaway doesn't have an "if you do" clause, though, so it would seem you can still move the +Buy to an empty pile; you just don't get to execute the first instruction on the card.

No. The first instruction is to "gain an action card costing up to $4". You are not allowed to select an empty pile for this instruction; just as you can't select an empty pile for Workshop.

Also, even if you were allowed to select an empty pile, you wouldn't move the token, because it says "move your +1 buy token to its pile." "It" refers to the card you gained, as per the blue dog ruling, so if you didn't gain a card, there's no card for "it" to refer to. It would be like using Ironworks to select an empty pile, then trying to get the Ironworks bonus for the card that should have been in that pile. Not only can'y you select the empty pile, but even if you could, there's no card to give Ironworks the bonus.

*Edit* Similarly, I'm pretty sure that if you reveal Trader to the Seaway gain, or if it's on a Possession turn, that you don't get to move the token.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:29:11 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.