Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Male vs Female Cards  (Read 8277 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Male vs Female Cards
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:08:27 pm »
+3

A while back there was a bit of discussion about female and males cards. I am not trying to make a point, or demand change or equality, but I thought it would be interesting--and there was a major lull at work--to look more into this.

This is what I found.  There are 157 cards in dominion at the moment. 56 of them are male cards--with male characters on them.  44 of these are non attack cards. 12 are attacks. There are 18 female cards. 11 are non-attacks while 7 are attacks. There are also 42 cards without people in the drawings and 41 with people either of both sexes or of a gender that can't be determined.

I took from this that Dominion has a male bias with 35% of all cards being obviously male and a 3:1 ratio to female cards. Furthermore, a higher percentage of female cards are attacking cards than male cards; 38% of female cards are attacks while 21% of male cards are attacks.

Here is the breakdown of the types of cards.  Again, I am not trying to make any sort of argument or criticize the makers of Dominion. I love it. My wife loves it. I just wanted to show that there fewer female cards than male, which for the time period Dominion is supposed to represent may be appropriate.

Male: 44
Chancellor
Mine
Moneylender
Smithy
Woodcutter
Alchemist
Apothecary
Apprentice
Golem
Transmute
Baron
Conspirator
Duke
Masquerade
Nobles
Pawn
Scout
Shanty Town
Steward
Counting House
King's Court - this card has both sexes in the picture but it is a king's court, not a queen's court
Loan
Mint
Venture
Bazaar
Fishing Village
Navigator
Pearl Diver
Salvager
Smugglers
Tactician
Horse Traders
Hunting Party
Tournament
Cartographer
Develop
Haggler
Jack of All Trades
Mandarin
Scheme
Spice Merchant
Black Market
Envoy
Governor

Male Attacks: 12
Spy
Bureaucrat
Thief
Minion
Saboteur
Swindler
Torturer
Goons
Mountebank
Ambassador
Margrave
Noble Brigand

Female: 11
Herbalist
Courtyard
Harem
Forge
Peddler
Explorer
Fairgrounds
Farming Village
Princess
Duchess
Trader

Female Attacks: 7
Witch
Possession
Scrying Pool
Sea Hag
Fortune Teller
Young Witch
Oracle

Unisex w/o people: 42
Cellar
Chapel
Council Room
Gardens
Moat
Remodel
Throne Room
Workshop
Philosopher's Stone
Vineyard
Bridge
Great Hall
Contraband
Hoard
Monument
Quarry
Royal Seal
Talisman
Vault
Watchtower
Ghost Ship
Haven
Island
Outpost
Treasure Map
Treasury
Warehouse
Bag of Gold
Diadem
Horn of Plenty
Trusty Steed
Remake
Border Village
Crossroads
Oasis
Farmland
Tunnel
Cache
Fool's Gold
Ill-Gotten Gains
Stash
Walled Village

Unisex w/ people of both sexes or unknown gender: 41
Adventurer
Feast
Festival
Laboratory
Library
Market
Village
Familiar--male? female? I can't tell
University
Coppersmith
Ironworks
Mining Village
Trading Post
Tribute
Upgrade
Wishing Well
City
Expand
Grand Market
Rabble
Trade Route
Worker's Village
Caravan
Cutpurse--looks like a woman, but I can't tell
Embargo
Lookout
Merchant Ship
Native Village
Pirate Ship
Wharf
Followers
Hamlet
Harvest
Jester - is this clown a man or a woman? I can't tell
Menagerie
Highway
Inn
Nomad Camp
Stables
Silk Road
Embassy

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Male vs Female Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:48:44 pm »

Dominion has a medieval theme and I think those dark ages were more male centered than female.
So it's not the game's fault if there is an uneven balance.

Basically all women at that time were either (Young) Witches, Whores (not yet a card) or Nobles.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

Dominion has a medieval theme and I think those dark ages were more male centered than female.

Basically all women at that time were either (Young) Witches, Whores (not yet a card) or Nobles.

Whores = Harem.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »

Dominion's time period is fairly varied, ranging from maybe dark ages to early renaissance. And well, there were a number of famous female leaders. Elizabeth I, Isabella I, Catherine the Great, Joan of Arc. And there's a fantasy element to the game (transmute, for example. Oracle and fortune teller having an actual effect, golem etc) so there's no reason there can be no deviation from historical reality. It's not a big deal (after all, I doubt anyone sees the characters in dominion card art work as role models), but it could be neat to have some variety, yeah.

yaron

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »
+1

Even if we take "witches" to mean "anyone ever accused of witchcraft", I doubt all three groups together comprise 1% of the population.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:01:45 am »

Nitpick: Possession's not an attack.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:19:11 am »
+1

Thanks for doing this!  I was considering doing it myself in that other thread, but I didn't have the time.

I'm a little surprised that the balance is as skewed as it is, because my general impression was that the balance was more similar than a 3:1 ratio.  But on second thought, it really is.  To get a proper balance of male vs. female "characters" in the game, you kind of have to add the "unisex with people" number to BOTH the male-only and female-only totals and compare those instead.

So there are 44+12+41 = 97 male representations, and 11+7+41 = 59 female representations, or roughly a 5:3 ratio.  I guess to be even more accurate, you'd count cards with both sexes but not count cards with ambiguous sexes, but this is good enough for a stat that, as you say, doesn't really matter.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:03 pm »

To get a proper balance of male vs. female "characters" in the game, you kind of have to add the "unisex with people" number to BOTH the male-only and female-only totals and compare those instead.

So there are 44+12+41 = 97 male representations, and 11+7+41 = 59 female representations, or roughly a 5:3 ratio. 

That does change the demographic when looked at from that way. Thanks for bringing that up, the ambiguous sex cards threw me for a loop sometimes. I had a good, solid debate with my wife about what sex the Jester was, and we still aren't sure.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

Women were probably accused of witchcraft more often in history than men because of their weaker socioeconomic power and unfair stereotypes about their morality.

So, yeah, it's just a realistic use of the time period I guess.  Although there's a subtlety about the choice of setting that could have been different.  Dominion cards as a whole seem to represent the Middle Ages as people of that time really perceived it: they actually believed witches were out and about and cursing people, though dragons and ogres were fairy tales to them and they didn't really believe that.  So Witches appear, dragons and ogres do not.  If either the reality of the Middle Ages was chosen, or both the fantasies that middle age people believed in and didn't believe in were included (many more wizards, male monsters, etc), then the game would be more culturally palatable.
I mean, no one makes games about early colonial India or the Caribbean slave trade, it's not quite as much fun.  This is a much smaller scale, but eh.

/bad rant

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »

I mean, no one makes games about early colonial India or the Caribbean slave trade, it's not quite as much fun. 

well, there is the (excellent) game puerto rico.  it is definitely themed in that caribbean era, and the game makes heavy use of brown "colonists" who work your buildings and plantations.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:00:59 am »
+1

I actually personally know one person who was introduced to boardgaming via Puerto Rico, but hated it and vowed never to play another Eurogame again because of its racist depiction of colonists.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:46 am »

I've never played Puerto Rico, but I think it succeeds in spite of its theme rather than due to its theme. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:44 am »

I mean, no one makes games about early colonial India or the Caribbean slave trade, it's not quite as much fun. 

well, there is the (excellent) game puerto rico.  it is definitely themed in that caribbean era, and the game makes heavy use of brown "colonists" who work your buildings and plantations.

It's possible that making the colonists brown could have been a coincidence. Sometimes, brown is just a nice neutral color.

Still, they could have gone with white or black, which are also neutral and fairly generic.

And if the coloring was on purpose because the designers aren't going to flinch from an unsavory history, then kudos for sticking to their guns. Other people (possibly even myself included) would have chosen a different color just to avoid offending someone. I don't know the truth behind the colonists' coloring, but I would not be surprised either way.

Oh, and Endeavor also has slavery. It doesn't detail the slave trade (thankfully), but you have the option of succeeding in the game by engaging in slavery. In fact, in one game, I and another player invested in slavery and then made sure that European control was split between us so that nobody could get enough influence to abolish slavery, since that would have weakened our empires. It was actually a pretty horrid reminder of how easily the colonials could engage in such a grotesque method.

As for gender in Dominion, I did note this weekend that the Duchess is also a mother. I don't recall any definite father figures in the card art. I mean, what is the Duke doing? Ruling a Duchy or something?
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.