Dominion > Rules Questions

+Card token and when-you-play

(1/41) > >>

AJD:
If my +Card token is on an Attack and I have Urchin in play, do I get +1 Card from the token before or after I trash the Urchin and get the Mercenary? Or do they happen at the same time (and therefore I choose the order)?

GendoIkari:
I am relatively sure that the +1 card token basically adds "+1 card" to the beginning of the card text. Which means that Urchin now reads:

+1 card
+1 card
+1 action
________

So you would get the Mercenary first, just like you get him before you draw the card for regular Urchin.

AJD:
That could well be! On the other hand, the rules say "When the player whose token it is plays a card from that pile, that player first gets the bonus," and "when the player… plays a card" suggests the same timing as Urchin's "when you play another Attack".

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: AJD on April 27, 2015, 12:12:40 pm ---If my +Card token is on an Attack and I have Urchin in play, do I get +1 Card from the token before or after I trash the Urchin and get the Mercenary? Or do they happen at the same time (and therefore I choose the order)?

--- End quote ---
You get the +1 Card first. First, it says first. It has to be timed and space is at a premium so all it says is "first." The rulebook example turn has it ahead of any resolution of the played card. For the most part it plays just like the +1 Card is on the card as a top line. But if it matters, that part happens first, like it says.

You do get to pointlessly choose the order between different tokens if you have more than one on a pile.

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on April 27, 2015, 01:47:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: AJD on April 27, 2015, 12:12:40 pm ---If my +Card token is on an Attack and I have Urchin in play, do I get +1 Card from the token before or after I trash the Urchin and get the Mercenary? Or do they happen at the same time (and therefore I choose the order)?

--- End quote ---
You get the +1 Card first. First, it says first. It has to be timed and space is at a premium so all it says is "first." The rulebook example turn has it ahead of any resolution of the played card. For the most part it plays just like the +1 Card is on the card as a top line. But if it matters, that part happens first, like it says.

You do get to pointlessly choose the order between different tokens if you have more than one on a pile.

--- End quote ---

Oh, the tokens don't trigger on when-play, but before that. Ok. So either this is a new time - a new trigger, or we could say that it's when-you-would-play, just like Band of Misfits. That would also explain exactly how you get the bonus from the tokens both on BoM and on the card you choose. Both the token bonus and the BoM instruction to choose a card happens at the same time. You choose the order, which doesn't matter. Then you're going to play the chosen card, but before that you get the token bonus from that pile too. Then you actually play the chosen card.

What about the trashing token? Does it trigger on when-buy, or before that? It matters, since there are other when-buy abilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version