Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: "Resolve"  (Read 10337 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Re: "Resolve"
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 10:11:28 am »

A general description of "resolve" is not needed? It's clear that you can resolve other abilities (like Reaction abilities, or later Duration abilities) on Action cards too, not just on-play abilities. The point must be just to point out that for Coin of the Realm and Royal Carriage, Resolving an Action means resolving everything that happens when you play an Action card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »

My point was that we've been fine with intuitively knowing when a card was resolved for the entire history of Dominion, without "resolved" ever being used on a card.

But now that it is used on cards, it's confusing that there is no clear, official specification of its meaning, especially considering that "resolve" is regularly used in the rulebooks to refer to non-on-play effects.

I think "Directly after playing" would be less confusing. Of course the concern there would be people thinking that means before completing the on-play instructions. But cards like Throne Room and Golem already require the understanding that to play an Action is to do all the stuff, and the rulebook is a bit more clear about this.

I don't think TR and Golem really apply here.  Thta wording would be confusing because "when play" effects typically kick in right when the card is played, before you resolve it.  When an opponent plays Minion, you have to reveal Moat before she chooses whether to use Minion to discard or not.  The words "Directly after" may push the intended meaning, but it's just as valid to interpret it as having the same timing as the "when play" on reactions like Moat.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 09:23:05 am »

My point was that we've been fine with intuitively knowing when a card was resolved for the entire history of Dominion, without "resolved" ever being used on a card.

But now that it is used on cards, it's confusing that there is no clear, official specification of its meaning, especially considering that "resolve" is regularly used in the rulebooks to refer to non-on-play effects.

I think "Directly after playing" would be less confusing. Of course the concern there would be people thinking that means before completing the on-play instructions. But cards like Throne Room and Golem already require the understanding that to play an Action is to do all the stuff, and the rulebook is a bit more clear about this.

I don't think TR and Golem really apply here.  Thta wording would be confusing because "when play" effects typically kick in right when the card is played, before you resolve it.  When an opponent plays Minion, you have to reveal Moat before she chooses whether to use Minion to discard or not.  The words "Directly after" may push the intended meaning, but it's just as valid to interpret it as having the same timing as the "when play" on reactions like Moat.

Well, you could also say it's just as valid to interpret Throne Room as having that same timing for when you can do the second play. The rulebook/FAQ could clearly point out the distinction between "when play" and "after playing"; it's true that the "Directly after playing" wording wouldn't make it automatically clear to everyone.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »

What I mean is that TR and Golem don't use any of those words that say anything about timing, so they aren't applicable.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »

What I mean is that TR and Golem don't use any of those words that say anything about timing, so they aren't applicable.

They don't use the word "after", but they do raise the question, at exactly what point do you consider the first Action to have been "played", so that you can play the second one? My point was that understanding the answer to that question should allow you to understand the meaning of "after playing".
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.594 seconds with 21 queries.