Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: IRL Adventures stories  (Read 50165 times)

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Re: IRL Adventures stories
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

I once had a kingdom with Duplicate as the only "+buy", but with Miser and Lost City. It turned into a rush for duchies, by stacking Duplicates onto the Tavern.
removed by user

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:29 am »
+2

Adventures/Dark Ages game last night, constructed by my darling son (for once without dozens of attack cards).

Bandit Camp, Hireling, Junk Dealer, Cultist, Giant, Ranger, Duplicate, Fortress, Hermit, Peasant. Ferry, Inheritance.

He opened Ferry/Hireling, I opened Ferry/Junk Dealer.

After a few JD I ferried bandit camps instead and kept my silver-cost, 'gold'-gaining villages for the rest of the game. He inherited fortresses (and Taught them +card), I inherited Rangers (and Taught them +action). I never bought any cultists (he did, and spammed them with disciple, and when the ruins ran out he went on to disciple giants..), but my JDs (with a Taught +card for good measure) took care of the junk quite handily.

His mistake; not buying more of his cheap hirelings, and occasionally even buying fortresses at full cost rather than just picking up estates, and far too late Teaching his cultists how to spend money wisely (+buy).

Result; on my second to last turn I had $38, raking in quadruple! provinces (+a duchy for good measure). Most of that money was from Spoils.

His last turn he had $17 (and 2 provinces in his deck), but he'd bought too few other greens, so took 3 duchies and an estate instead.

Too bad, on my last turn I still managed to regenerate enough Spoils to grab the last 2 provinces.

Inheriting Rangers is awesome! +5 cards and +2 buys for the price of a smithy and a buy? Yes, please :D Yes, you need the +actions from somewhere, but all terminal draw needs that.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:40 am »

Adventures/Dark Ages game last night, constructed by my darling son (for once without dozens of attack cards).

Bandit Camp, Hireling, Junk Dealer, Cultist, Giant, Ranger, Duplicate, Fortress, Hermit, Peasant. Ferry, Inheritance.

He opened Ferry/Hireling, I opened Ferry/Junk Dealer.

After a few JD I ferried bandit camps instead and kept my silver-cost, 'gold'-gaining villages for the rest of the game. He inherited fortresses (and Taught them +card), I inherited Rangers (and Taught them +action). I never bought any cultists (he did, and spammed them with disciple, and when the ruins ran out he went on to disciple giants..), but my JDs (with a Taught +card for good measure) took care of the junk quite handily.

His mistake; not buying more of his cheap hirelings, and occasionally even buying fortresses at full cost rather than just picking up estates, and far too late Teaching his cultists how to spend money wisely (+buy).

Result; on my second to last turn I had $38, raking in quadruple! provinces (+a duchy for good measure). Most of that money was from Spoils.

His last turn he had $17 (and 2 provinces in his deck), but he'd bought too few other greens, so took 3 duchies and an estate instead.

Too bad, on my last turn I still managed to regenerate enough Spoils to grab the last 2 provinces.

Inheriting Rangers is awesome! +5 cards and +2 buys for the price of a smithy and a buy? Yes, please :D Yes, you need the +actions from somewhere, but all terminal draw needs that.

Honestly, I would have opened Ferry/Cultist, and never looked back. After all the curses are gone, then I'd worry about building my deck. Cultist is just that good. I don't know if it's the strongest play here, but one thing I've learned is this: Cultist is strong.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »
+7

Here's a tip that will change your in-person Dominion life, if you're like me and always forget that you have Events in a game:

Put Events in the middle of the kingdom cards (instead of up top with the treasures/victories, or off to the side, or wherever else you're used to putting "other" stuff).

If you normally put your kingdom cards in some sort of row like this:

Code: [Select]
X X X X
 X X X
 X X X

just put the Events in the middle like this:

Code: [Select]
X X X X
X E X X
  E
X X X

You will never have the Turn 6 "oh wait Borrow is in this game" experience again!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »
+2

Brilliant Idea.

Maybe a layout like this might work better though.

XXXXX
   EE
XXXXX

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:56 pm »

Generally, I set-up like so:

V  V  V  V  C  R
M  M  M  M  T
      E  E
K  K  K  K  K
K  K  K  K  K

Anyone else set up like that? I also don't use the trash card at all, we just put the cards sideways, no confusion ever.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »

V  V  V  V  C  R
M  M  M  M  T
      E  E
K  K  K  K  K
K  K  K  K  K

Anyone else set up like that? I also don't use the trash card at all, we just put the cards sideways, no confusion ever.

Where do you put Potion?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2015, 10:56:12 pm »

V  V  V  V  C  R
M  M  M  M  T
      E  E
K  K  K  K  K
K  K  K  K  K

Where do you put Potion?

I'd put it beside the Platinum. I don't own Alchemy yet.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2015, 07:53:22 am »

We use
Prov $3 5+ cost cards
Dutchy $2 4 cost cards
Estate $1 3- cost cards

Events, spoils, curses, ruins, traveller upgrades, madmen, etc, fill up any of the three lines that end up shorter than the others. (Trash goes in a lump on the far left.) Plat/Colony possibly makes a fourth line up top, and any 6+ costs are placed there. (We don't own alchemy either.)

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2015, 11:21:03 am »

I usually set up as

Estate Duchy Province (Colony) Curse
 Events (Cards not in the supply)
Copper Silver Gold (Platinum) (Potion) Trash
K K K K K (Traveller upgrades and cards not in the supply that don't fit)
K K K K K (Anything else)

Also, my friend and I coined the term Duration Mat, where we put Duration Cards, because we always forget to keep them out.
removed by user

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
+1

The big reason why I think putting events with "other" things (Madman, Spoils, Colonies, Travelers, etc.) doesn't work for most is the fundamental difference about events - you can buy them without putting them in your deck (and most of those other things you can't buy, so why are you even looking at them in your buy phase?). At least for me, my Dominion brain is not trained to consider purchasing things I won't put in my deck, so I have to force myself to consider Events - hence, a center-of-the-supply setup.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:19 am »

I just put them on the side, to the left of the regular Victory-Treasure-Kingdom grid.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52:04 pm »
+2

I usually setup like this: (T is Trash, and U is cUrse)

T X X X X X
U X X X X X
G S C P D E

Any extra cards are growing tumors on these.  Colony and Platinum extend the bottom row to make a hat, Potion usually goes next to Gold (if there's both, I'll wrap the bottom row up around the trash), any extra cards you can buy (other supply cards and Events) go to the right of this setup, and any other extra cards go to the left of it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:06 pm »

You guys are all weird. Arrange them like this:

K T C S G K
K C E D P K
K K K K K K

With upper left being cheapest and upper right being most expensive. Extra cards can be inserted wherever makes sense (There's room to expand for anything)

Edit: I actually like sudgy's better, but I'd arrange the bottom row as E D P C S G, or even better actually, C E S D G P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:05:44 pm by liopoil »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »
+2

You guys actually use the Trash card? I gotta tell you, it's really satisfying to actually throw the cards "away" when you're trashing them (by "away" I mean away from you, not like in an actual trash can, though I guess that could work). Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it.

I mean, for me it's easy to just keep my wooden box open next to the game and chuck the cards into that, but seriously, you all really need to give this a shot.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »

Since we're all doing this, here's my setup:

Es D Pr (Co)
Cp S (Po) G (Pt)
Ev Trash Cu
K K K K K
K K K K K
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »
+4

You people with apparently infinite table space are weird.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2015, 02:08:48 pm »

Oh yeah, I order the kingdom cards by cost with most expensive on the left to least expensive on the right.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 02:31:22 pm »
+5

Too sad this forum only supports up to 2d matrix structures.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2015, 02:51:35 pm »

Is there really no one else who does a separate row for each cost?  Like this:

CSGT
EDPU
$2's
$3's
$4's
$5's
$6's

Usually there won't be more than five rows, but if there are you can combine $6's and $7's or $1's and $2's if you really need to.  I haven't played Adventures yet but with this method you can just put Events into the appropriate cost row.  No one really agrees on where potion cost cards should go.  When we play in space we just have them float above the appropriate row to represent that it costs more than that row, but neither more than nor less than the next row.

Garth One-eye

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »
+1

CSGT
EDPU
$2's
$3's
$4's
$5's
$6's

Usually there won't be more than five rows, but if there are you can combine $6's and $7's or $1's and $2's if you really need to.  I haven't played Adventures yet but with this method you can just put Events into the appropriate cost row.  No one really agrees on where potion cost cards should go.  When we play in space we just have them float above the appropriate row to represent that it costs more than that row, but neither more than nor less than the next row.

That's what I do except I have the treasures along the top of the kingdom cards and the victory cards along the left side (or vice-versa).

Felyndiira

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2015, 06:06:14 pm »

I had a few 4-player games a week ago with a few friends, one of which had adventurers (but we decided to not use events).  the board layout that I can remember was:

Peasant
Native Village
Candlestick Maker
Dungeon
Farming Village
Bridge Troll
Mountebank
Council Room
Expand
[Couldn't Remember Last Card]
[Using Shelters]

I don't think we played the kingdom very well.  All of us rushed Mountebank at the start (of course), and adding in the -1 coin tokens from some early Bridge Trolls, and all four players are struggling to get up above 4~5 on any hand.  We ended up fighting each other over estates and sometimes duchies, not even looking at provinces.

The game ended when we 3-piled Copper, Curses, and Estates, with the winning player scoring a total of 8 points.

That was the only Adventures game we had that night.  Adventures was included in our second game that night as well, though no cards from the set was picked by the randomizer (the kingdom was Pearl Diver, Cellar, Candlestick Maker, Remodel, Marauder, City, Merchant Guild, Torturer, Altar, King's Court).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:13:50 pm by Felyndiira »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2015, 08:45:01 pm »

instrad of buying Estates, buy Candlestick. That way, you can save the tokens for a late Province.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2015, 09:34:53 am »
+1

CSGT
EDPU
$2's
$3's
$4's
$5's
$6's

I do similar:

Cu E  D P
    Co S G
$5s
$4s
$3s

etc

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2016, 12:59:39 am »
+1

Didn't want to set up a whole new thread just for this, so necro it is.

We played a quite fun game today - 3p, randomised from everything, but it did include a single Adventures offering.

Kingdom:
Beggar
Chapel
Herbalist
Throne Room
Tournament
Band of Misfits
Bazaar
Giant
Upgrade
Peddler

(Provinces and Shelters)

All players opened 3/4 and cursed their luck. One player tried for a bit of an off-the-wall strategy with Beggars that unfortunately didn't pan out, while the other two of us went for Chapel and Tournament. I had a little bad luck lining my stuff up early, while the other guy managed to get the rhythm of clearing out his junk and buying Peddlers fairly quickly, to the point where his deck was three Peddlers, a Tournament and a Chapel. He scored the first Province and first Prize, taking Trusty Steed, while I grabbed the Followers, and he then took Princess. I didn't hit 5 much, but when I did I got myself a couple of BoMs, a couple of Giants and a Bazaar. I think I played BoM as almost every possible card at some point - I definitely used it as Throne Room, Tournament and probably Herbalist once - and Throne Room-Giant gave me just enough of a boost to snag some key cards. In the end, I won with half the Provinces and a smattering of other victory cards, but only because I hit all the good Actions in my final hand after everyone else had lucked out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.