Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: IRL Adventures stories  (Read 50153 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: IRL Adventures stories
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »
+1

That's insane. So you opened ferry. Bought two traveling fairs and three squires top decking them all. That's pretty insane and awesome

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2015, 05:31:38 am »

Champion = terminal draw with reckless abandon.

Also, Develop is not too slow a trasher with Royal Carriages and draw/cycling.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:37 am »

With Ferry on the board, you can guarantee opening with a $5 action. Alms counters Swamp Hag and works with Mission or Ferry. Trade is on par with Trading Post in BM, because you can make use of those $5 hands, but Trade needs the $5 every use and can gain up to two silvers, while Trading Post gains the silver to your hand and happens during your action phase but becomes a dead card later in the game.
removed by user

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2015, 07:25:11 pm »
+6

I'm surprised to see the "Storyteller is bad" posts. Last Friday, in my first game using it, I built the best engine I've ever made. One Mercenary, two Bridge Trolls (should have been more later), two Mining Villages, Two Havens (save a story), five Storytellers (trashed some with Mercenary eventually) and loads of Gold/Silver. After turn 7 or so, I drew my whole deck and my two opponents had 3 cards & -$1, every turn for the rest of the game. I got 9 provinces.

So I guess that's the kind of deck that's good for Storyteller :P

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:42 am »

Something that would be ridiculous:
Opening is 3/4
T1: Buy Ferry, putting -2 cost token on Page
T2: Buy Travelling Fair 4 times, and buy 5 Pages, top-decking them all.
T3: Play all of the Pages, exchange for all of the Treasure Hunters.

This would lock the opponent out of the entire Page chain, unless the opponent was lucky enough to go first and play pages on their T3.

EDIT: Oops, thought Travelling Fair cost $1.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:57:45 pm by belugawhale »
removed by user

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2015, 11:07:29 am »

Opening is 3/4
T2: Buy Travelling Fair 4 2 times, and buy 5 Pages, top-decking them all.

This would lock the opponent out of the entire Page chain, unless the opponent was lucky enough to go first and play pages on their T3.

FTFY

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2015, 11:08:18 am »

Opening is 3/4
T2: Buy Travelling Fair 4 2 times, and buy 5 Pages, top-decking them all.

FTFY

Actually no it doesn't work.

It would work if Travelling Fair cost 1 or gave you +3 buys.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

Oops, I thought Travelling Fair cost 1.
removed by user

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:32 pm »
+1

Also, locking the opponent out of the page line is only helpful when you don't want to upgrade treasure hunters for some reason, because as soon as you upgrade one, your oppont is unlocked.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:41 pm »

King's Court/Giant is ridiculous. You have to play with them at least once.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

convolucid

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »

We had one game with Page and Ranger. My sister and I both went for it, but she had turn order. Her Warrior killed one of my travelers and she got to Champion first. It was a slaughter after that :'(

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

King's Court/Giant is ridiculous. You have to play with them at least once.

The recommended set, go big, was awesome. Ferry on the hirelings until the pile ran (using ball), then buy Giants/story tellers/Kings courts. Starting with 9+ cards makes kc-kc-giant-giant-giant simple to do consistently, especially with a couple storytellers!
Thankfully the piles run quickly so after a couple colonies you can end the game before they hate you too much!

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 05:10:44 pm »

The Travellers seems to be slightly political in multiplayer, because opponents can collude to block another player from getting any. ("Don't upgrade your Warriors, because we need to stop <player> from getting any").

Also, it felt good to Disciple-Disciple-2xHireling. It was +4 cards for two hirelings and one disciple.
removed by user

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:58 am »
+3

So I let the girlfriend pick the Kingdom tonight.

Caravan Guard, Port, Ranger, Duplicate, Magpie, Lost City, Relic, Artificer, Haunted Woods, Hireling
Save, Expedition

May last turn had 30 action cards in play, including 4 Hirelings (thanks Duplicate). Magpies get a little carried away.

I'm currently on the couch...

... because she has to get up for work 4 hours before me, and I'm not tired yet.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »
+2

Two words: Seaway/Peddler.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 08:10:28 pm »

So, we finally got Adventures to the table this week.  We were running with just Base + Adventures today, we're going to try it with more sets next week.  We play by a house rule by which we always have a fourth Victory card and a fourth Treasure card (usually but not always random).  We've decided that when we use events, we will select 2 (usually but not always at random).  For the record we have Base, Prosperity, Seaside, Guilds, Dark Ages, and now Adventures available between the players at the table.  Amusingly, Intrigue is still "probably the next set one of us should buy" (that's been true since I just had Base & Prosperity). 

We did one time with the 'suggested' kingdom "Level Up", three semi-random ones, and one "let's try <insert here>" game.  For the <insert here> we wanted to try the Ferry (-2 cost token) and Inheritance (the Estate token) events at the same time with some choice cantrip\non-terminal events, and one of the players talked the rest of us into a kingdom that seemed to favor the Gardens victory card - including Magpie, Treasure Trove, Port, and Duplicate.  He wanted the Peasant line for Disciple too, but was outvoted because we'd already tried the Peasant chain twice and wanted to try Page.

Some overall talking points \ amusing incidents.
1> We had two separate cases where someone got 4 Silver cards at once from the Treasure Hunter.

2> Champion hasn't made it to the table yet - there were 2 in decks when that game ended - but on the Peasant line it became conventional wisdom that Disciple just might be a better card than Teacher (not being able to stack the tokens was disliked).  During the second random game the Page line was out and Distant Lands was the 4th Victory stack when one of the players played them together - and ended up getting 6 DL's onto his mat (only to come in third, by 2 points, if that tells you how tight that game was).  Yeah, there's no point in playing DL twice but that "play and then get a copy" thing worked out.  And yes, we did see a case where a Disciple discipled a Disciple who then discipled two other action cards, the player joking that normally she'd call it bad luck to have four terminal actions in hand...

3> Plan (the trashing token event) underwhelmed, to the surprise of several of us.  For us the jury is still out as to whether Amulet or Ratcatcher is the better trasher in this set (Amulet is more versatile and could potentially hit 2, but RC is targeted).  We only had Raze out once and as feared the problem seemed to be that most of the cards you want to trash are 0-cost cards.

4> As an aside on Amulet, I'm hoping to run some test games with it.  A couple of times there it looked like this might be a better choice in a 4/3 opener than a Silver.  It sure worked out well for me in one of the games when I opened Amulet\Silver just to see what would happen...

5> I wondered if Caravan Guard would make more sense when it hit the table, and it wasn't until the "Gardens" game that the lightbulb went on.  One of the players inherited it and we realized the strength is that it gives you a coin immediately instead of a turn later when an attack card comes out.  It's still not my favorite reaction card by any stretch, but I think I get it now.

6> Magpie is... I won't say "evil" because we saw it its downside during the "Gardens" game but I suspect it's going to stay popular.  However we almost saw it backfire spectacularly.  The first time it was on the table one of the players managed a string where he gained 3 of them during the same turn, bought a Magpie, then used Duplicate on it.  One of the other players then congratulated him... then held up the Swamp Hag he'd forgotten she had in play.  "Oh <curse word>, is that on Gain or on Buy?!?!?" was the frightened response.  During the "Gardens" game, where Ferry & Inheritance were available, two of the four players put the Estate token on Magpie.

7> So, the Gardens game came out much closer than it looked during play.  During play it looked like one particular player was running away with it, and it wasn't the player buying Gardens.  By the Gardens player's admission (ahem, me) he made the mistake of buying too many Magpies too early - when he should have started scoring Treasure Troves earlier.  So there was a point in the mid-game where Magpie kept revealing other Magpie but there weren't any Magpies left to gain, and he had too many turns with too few coins to buy anything useful.  The deciding factor turned out to be... the Soldier.  See, the Gardens player ended up with 7 Gardens (thanks primarily to Duplicate and Workbench), and 48 cards in the deck.  The margin of victory turned out to be only 6 points, so two more cards in deck and that player would have won.  Of course, that player had twice been victimized by the Soldier's "trash it if the card is value 3 or 4" ability when, of course, the card was a Magpie.  Oh, and I'd like to point out that game was 3 cards away from being ended due to 3 empty stacks when the final Province was bought.

8> The Save event turned out to be a better card than I might have thought.  I'm not calling it the most powerful or best event but it went from "meh, nice enough I guess" to "hey, I just bought a Province thanks to that Gold I set aside last turn after getting just a Gold & Copper for treasures that turn" and "hey, I just got away with double-drawing terminal actions and it wasn't a waste".  It had us wanting to try Gear's similar mechanic again (and yes, I read here and saw it was optional before we played).

9> One of our players tends to be more aggressive than the others - her favorite card is Thief, to the point her dad (one of the other players) does everything but disallow it  8) .  She kept going back and forth about whether or not she likes the token penalties - they hurt just as bad and sometimes worse than the others (I think Swamp Hag is now her 2nd favorite card) but kept complaining that they don't stack - if the -1 card token is already on the deck, there's no power to a second one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:19:27 pm by TheEmerged »

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »
+1

Bought a Miser and a Page to start. By getting Coppers out of my hand and onto the Tavern mat, my Page upgrades happened more quickly. When the Champion came around, my Misers (I now had three of them) showed up almost every hand in my thinned out deck, and I played them for the five Coppers on my mat, with Champion's unlimited actions. Provinces, Colonies, it didn't matter. The game was over quickly.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2015, 08:03:06 pm »

Kingdom was Amulet, Bridge Troll, Guide, Royal Carriage, Duplicate, Lost City, Miser, Relic, Haunted Woods, and Coin of the Realm. Events were Ball, Borrow, and Expedition.

My strategy was to use Amulet for trashing, Lost Cities and RC'd Haunted Woods for draw, and Bridge Troll + Relic for payload.
My opponent's strategy was to use Miser for deck-thinning, with Lost Cities as villages and Miser for coin afterwards.

I found out some time ago that calling Royal Carriage on Haunted Woods was very effective draw, equivalent to 6 Hirelings in play. With two of each in my deck, I could consistently get +6 Cards per turn, while having a deck-slowing attack in play constantly.

Highlights of the game:
Ball was very useful to me, since with one Bridge Troll, it could help me pick up the $5 cost engine components. Duplicate was also helpful in that it could build up my engine faster, and eventually duplicate provinces. Soon enough, I was drawing my deck and playing Bridge Troll+Relic every turn. Eventually in the game, my opponent was able to get all of his Copper onto his Tavern mat with his Misers, but was slowed significantly by my Haunted Woods. I pulled a small megaturn with $14 with four Bridge Trolls in play, allowing me to buy Ball twice for 4 Provinces, then buying 1 more Province and calling Duplicate for 6 Provinces total. Next turn, I emptied out the remaining provinces for the win.

Things learned: Haunted Wood's attack is not strong enough to completely discourage you from buying cards, but will slow your deck considerably. Since Relic is a Treasure, it can be played consistently. It works nice when buying Lost City, because it negates the on-gain effect. Duplicate and Ball are both especially useful with cost reducers. Miser seems quite slow, but is situational. I personally haven't tried Expedition, but it looks like 2 Hirelings for your next turn, except hand-size attacks destroy it.
removed by user

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »

Played Seacraft and Witchcraft suggested set tonight. Beat my girlfriend by 2 points (that came from Followers)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

convolucid

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »

I managed to pull a cute trick with Messenger recently. My gf went first with $3, so she bought a Chapel, naturally. Seeing this, I bought something else with my $3 and used my $4 to get a Messenger and hand her a second Chapel. She was upset but also grudgingly impressed :D

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »

I managed to pull a cute trick with Messenger recently. My gf went first with $3, so she bought a Chapel, naturally. Seeing this, I bought something else with my $3 and used my $4 to get a Messenger and hand her a second Chapel. She was upset but also grudgingly impressed :D

I feel like a free second Chapel isn't too bad. She'd be happy for the extra trashing if her first Chapel missed the reshuffle, and it'd be trashed to the other Chapel pretty quickly.

convolucid

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »

Well, it's not so much that the second Chapel was bad as that I also got a Silver without any benefit to her. IIRC it was a Minion game, so getting Chapel and Messenger and hitting 5 so fast was pretty neat.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2015, 05:38:00 pm »
+3

Gentle Intro game tonight. Gentle was not the word I'd use with Giant in 5player game. Mine got trashed before I got the big bonus from it, and while the others were getting Hirelings and Treasure Troves, I was barely scraping together a second. Oh and Port is a funny word. Port, port, port. After enough jokes, dear husband went to the wine cabinet to serve everyone a glass of ... Port. 12 villages is nice with so many players, but enough went bye, bye, thanks to Giant, that there were terminal issues.

People were a bit tired though so we ended on three piles (and had cleaned up before remembering the game should have gone to four). The winner had 2 provinces. I, the loser, had 4 curses - and a Distant Land I hadn't had the chance to play.

The cards are cool, the new mechanics are cool, the event (Scouting Party) was barely used. I bought it once, just to try it out. Another bought it because she had $11 and no +buy elsewhere. Maybe if I was better at tracking my deck, it might be more useful, but I'd rather spend $3 on another Dungeon, thankyou, or $2 on another Catratcher (sorry.. another injoke. Ratcatcher.).

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2015, 01:08:39 pm »
+5

Kingdom: Hireling, Distant Lands, Treasure Trove, Haunted Woods, Storyteller, Duplicate, Magpie, Amulet, Guide, Page // Ferry, Inheritance

So I’m now officially in love with the Adventures expansion. I just played the most awesome game of Dominion ever with the kingdom above.

I opened 4/3, buying Magpie/Page. My plan was to get a Champion as quickly as possible, which would require lots of cycling, and exchanging whenever possible. I bought Storyteller on the first 5, which is a pretty good cycling card, although with my low-income deck it turned out to be not as strong as I had hoped. In hindsight, I could have bought a single Treasure Trove to feed it and the Magpies that were starting to accumulate some more money, although I didn’t really need the money to buy stuff anyway, as we’ll soon see.

Anyway, I go for Ferry on the next 3, making Haunted Woods cheaper for me, and after some time (I almost depleted the Magpies at this point) I hit 7, buying Inheritance and turning my Estates into Duplicates. Soon after, I finally gain a Champion and get unlimited Actions. This is where the fun really starts.

With two Haunted Woods in play, I start my turn with an 11-card hand, almost drawing through my entire deck with the Magpies and the single Storyteller. I manage to play all three Estates and another Haunted Woods, buy a Distant Lands and call the Estates to gain three more Distant Lands.

Meanwhile, my opponent – who had opened 3/4, buying Ferry/Hireling, also an interesting strategy – is buying Provinces (after getting 1 Distant Lands early-game). He is playing a Big Money-ish strategy with a couple of Hirelings and an Amulet thrown in, but the large handsize and lack of +Buy makes his turns somewhat inefficient, spending 13 on a Province for example. What’s more, with me playing at least one Haunted Woods each turn, he is forced to put more and more Provinces back on his deck at the end of his turn. He had started greening a bit earlier, though, and he is still ahead as we reach the endgame.

Next turn, I manage to draw all three Estates again, and empty the Distant Lands pile. After my opponent grabs the sixth province, I gain four Haunted Woods. Next turn, I finally draw my entire deck, playing no less than five Haunted Woods, finishing up my Distant Lands, and buying four Estates.

After my opponent grabs Province number seven, I end the game with a bang. With five Haunted Woods entering play, I start with a 20-card hand, easily drawing my deck. I play seven Estates, buy a Duchy, gaining seven more Duchies in the process and finishing the third pile. I win the game 59-46, without ever buying a single Province against my opponent’s seven Provinces.

I love this expansion. Building up an insane engine like this is just so rewarding. :D
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »

Kc plus hireling is awesome.

Do you guys think that switching Peasant's and Page's effects would fix the awful page/warrior lockout? I do.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.