Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: IRL Adventures stories  (Read 50150 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
IRL Adventures stories
« on: April 25, 2015, 06:17:26 pm »
+4

Calling two Royal Carriages on Swamp Hag is delicious. Also, babies are evil and should be kept a good three meters away from any Dominion cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: IRL Adventures stories
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:33:45 pm »
+2

Also, babies are evil and should be kept a good three meters away from any Dominion cards.
The box does have an age suggestion on it...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:34:21 pm »
+1

God damn Lost City is insane.  The "draw a card" penalty is absolutely nothing compared to how great the card is.  Whoever gets the LC split is going to have a very easy time of things.  Similar effect if you put +1 Card token on Ports, and just take all of them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:17:01 am »
+1

God damn Lost City is insane.  The "draw a card" penalty is absolutely nothing compared to how great the card is.  Whoever gets the LC split is going to have a very easy time of things.  Similar effect if you put +1 Card token on Ports, and just take all of them.
Play "Village Idiot" with Port then put the +1 Card token on the pile. Hooray!

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:54 am »
+3

Miser + Raze: Buy an extra Copper at some point. Take your deck down to 1 card (8 Coppers to the Tavern, 3 Estates and then Raze itself get Razed). Then buy a Province every turn, 4 in a row before you run the risk of drawing totally dead. Speed things up with a Royal Carriage or two, if you can buy them early enough. (Much easier with Ferry on the table.)

Bonus points: Use your first $8 to buy a Prince, Prince your Miser, and then let your deck be completely green without a care in the world.

May not be the best strategy in the world (in fact it's probably definitely not, I haven't been playing Dominion all that long), but it was certainly very different and that was fun in its own way.

Edit: Obviously way too dangerous if there's a trashing attack on the board.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:12:48 am by DLloyd09 »

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:15 am »

Just played Adventures IRL with my game group and I have a couple of thoughts.
I played with the suggested set Adventures & Hinterlands: Raid / Haunted Woods, Lost City, Page, Port, Wine Merchant / Develop, Farmland, Haggler, Spice Merchant, Trader

and the suggested set Adventures & Cornucopia: Travelling Fair (we added Alms) / Artificer, Miser, Page (we played Peasant instead), Ranger, Relic / Fairgrounds, Farming Village, Horse Traders, Jester, Menagerie

-It can get very difficult to remember how many cards your opponenet gained on his turn when playing with the Treasure Hunter, especially after your opponent has already cleaned up his hand.

-Miser is very good, especially if you can get your +action or +buy token on it.

-Relic is very strong. Get a good engine going and you can handicap your opponent on every turn, very nice. I very handily beat my group due to a couple of relics in my deck.

-Alms is a nice event to have around. You can open 4/4 virtually and it gives you a nice boost up when you don't want to buy another silver with your $3 hand.

-Champion feels like cheating. 'I get to play all of my action cards and your attacks don't affect me.' It's almost like I'm playing a different game than my opponents at that point. Also, Champion is not a traveler type card so it does not count toward the Warrior attack.

-Farming village and the -1 card token don't affect each other. The wording on Farming village doesn't say 'draw that card' so the -1 card token doesn't apply to it. I played that one wrong the first few shuffles.

Also, isn't traveler spelled with only one 'L'? On all the traveler cards it is 'traveller' which my spell-check tells me is the wrong spelling.

Also, what happens when a traveller type card is revealed to a jester? I guess since that card is not in the supply (unless it is page/peasant) that it is just discarded and no one gains anything?

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, but I've been looking forward to it and reading the previews and things for a month now. My group seems a bit overwhelmed by it and a bit unimpressed but maybe it'll just be nice to learn the cards little by little as they get randomized into future games.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:33 am »

Just played Adventures IRL with my game group and I have a couple of thoughts.

Well, my set is now kicking back until Monday in...Horsham, PA. Which wikipedia tells me is a census designated place with a population of 14,842 and my personal copy of Dominion Adventures. On Monday, it likely boards a truck headed to the DC suburbs, and on Tuesday, it will reach my doorstep. I think. Anyway:

-It can get very difficult to remember how many cards your opponent gained on his turn when playing with the Treasure Hunter, especially after your opponent has already cleaned up his hand.

So I was thinking about this before, and I am guessing people will both begin to get better at tracking gains, plus it might be nice for people to announce just before clean-up "so I gained a total of four cards this turn" (or whatever). Also, you will often have the Treasure Hunter in hand to remind you to pay attention to this, although I guess your Wharf (or whatever) may only draw it right before you play.

-Miser is very good, especially if you can get your +action or +buy token on it.

So I was trying to work out some Miser possibilities with my un-Adventurous cards (since I thought it was a cool idea), but I kept getting hung up on the opportunity cost of the thing. Because it's $4, you can't generally open Miser/Miser, so you only "tavern" one Copper per shuffle unless you buy multiples, but then, yes, it is terminal. It works quite nicely with Throne Room...but so does everything else, pretty much. It should be pretty nice in some engines, but is a slow card to help you build the engine. Conceptually, it is also a nice fit for Tactician or double-Tac, but, again, so are many other things. You mention putting your +Action token on it, but I'm having a problem imagining a board where that would be the best use of the token. Putting +Buy on it with Seaway seems more promising (but costs $5) since if you have built it up to $5 or so, having it also give you the Buy is nice (assuming +Buy is otherwise scarce).

Am I missing anything very obvious here? I would love to love this card.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, but I've been looking forward to it and reading the previews and things for a month now. My group seems a bit overwhelmed by it and a bit unimpressed but maybe it'll just be nice to learn the cards little by little as they get randomized into future games.

My IRL group had similar "overwhelmed" issues with durations in Seaside, but quickly got over it. Adventures does add a lot of stuff.

And...nope; my copy is still in Horsham. Package tracking is such a mixed blessing.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:00 am »
+11

Well, my set is now kicking back until Monday in...Horsham, PA. Which wikipedia tells me is a census designated place with a population of 14,842 and my personal copy of Dominion Adventures.
Boy, Wikipedia is getting specific these days.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:19:00 am »
+1

Also, isn't traveler spelled with only one 'L'? On all the traveler cards it is 'traveller' which my spell-check tells me is the wrong spelling.
My dictionary has traveller as an alternative spelling, Chiefly British. Does Donald have an Anglophile streak? Or maybe to fit the medieval theme...
Also, what happens when a traveller type card is revealed to a jester? I guess since that card is not in the supply (unless it is page/peasant) that it is just discarded and no one gains anything?
Yes that's right, like Tournament Prizes, Mercenaries, and other non-supply cards. But I assume Page/Peasant would be doled out normally.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
+2

Duplicate + Hireling is fantastic, and if you have the Actions to spare in order to get them in play, it's sure pretty hard to lose with a 10 card hand every turn... I won one of my first games just by quickly getting that going.

Along similar lines, Duplicate makes Giant and Ranger much better cards in the presence of +Actions. In multiple games, I got two Giant and two Ranger going, used my excessive number of Actions to play around the Journey token and draw either 10 cards or attack twice, depending on what I needed. Love this stuff.

Miser is quickly joining the large pile of Kingdom cards that everyone can kick my ass with but I can't play to save my life (along with Saboteur, Swindler...). It's really, really slow, and most of the time using it you'll just do nothing, waste your Action on it and just have a shitty buy that turn. Sure you can stack it to $5+ and thin your deck, but by then you could have gotten something else going. I don't see Miser being a huge force unless I'm playing it really, really wrong. Maybe with Fishing Village type support.

Play "Village Idiot" with Port then put the +1 Card token on the pile. Hooray!

I think it's a lot less stupid to buy a bunch of Ports than to buy a bunch of Villages. You basically give up 2, maybe 3 Buys to ensure you never really have to think about Actions for the rest of the game. It's crazy how good Port is. Of course, Lost City is just incredible.

Ugh, I wish we could play this online. It's on Isotropic... can't they just let people with Online accounts who own the physical copy play on that? :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:59:24 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:23:36 pm »
+4

My dictionary has traveller as an alternative spelling, Chiefly British. Does Donald have an Anglophile streak? Or maybe to fit the medieval theme...
Yes that's right, like Tournament Prizes, Mercenaries, and other non-supply cards. But I assume Page/Peasant would be doled out normally.
Correct. I used the old form Traveller because it's a medieval game and I like the old-timey look of it. And Jester can't gain non-supply cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:33:28 pm »
+1

Even with the arrows, it's hard to remember to exchange your Travellers every turn.  I guess mostly because they get covered up by other cards anyway, and because you're thinking of a thousand different things at the end of your turn.  I have the same problem with remembering to Scheme things.  :/

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »
+6

Well, my set is now kicking back until Monday in...Horsham, PA. Which wikipedia tells me is a census designated place with a population of 14,842 and my personal copy of Dominion Adventures.
Boy, Wikipedia is getting specific these days.

Well, I get special treatment from Wikipedia since I make an automatic monthly donation.  :)

UPDATE: my personal copy of Dominion Adventures has departed Horsham and its "humid subtropical climate" which is "characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters." 

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:46:14 pm »
+1

Even with the arrows, it's hard to remember to exchange your Travellers every turn.  I guess mostly because they get covered up by other cards anyway, and because you're thinking of a thousand different things at the end of your turn.  I have the same problem with remembering to Scheme things.  :/
You need a mantra, like, say, "I want me my Champion! I want me my Champion!"

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 01:03:18 am »
+1

I think putting my +Action token on Bridge Troll might be the most fun I've had in Dominion in a while.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:02 am »

How does Miser compare with Moneylender? They both get rid of your Coppers one at a time, but Moneylender gives you $2 up front for each Copper, while Miser gives you bursts of money later. I would think having money early with Moneylender is better than getting it later with Miser unless the games goes on for a long time or you get multiple Miser plays per shuffle. I guess the cool thing about Miser is that it will generate coin if it doesn't connect with Copper and doesn't want to be removed from your deck once your Coppers are gone.

My local game store doesn't have Adventures yet. They said it should be in stock sometime this week.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 10:24:53 am »
+2

Moneylender+Copper gives you $2 more than just Copper, but $3 more than Miser+Copper.

Masterdinadan

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 11:24:45 am »
+1

Got it on Saturday and played two games.
"Gentle Intro" was a little bit boring. I don't have a lot to say about it. I didn't think much about the cards. Everyone was a crazy about distant lands but ultimately it came down to provinces in the end.

Then we played one of the Adventure+Intrigue kingdoms.. Don't remember the name but it had Borrow, Ball, and Bridge. Fun set.  I liked the combo of bridge+ball to pick up extra 5-cost cards (and having Borrow to help land it if you were a bit short when bridge was drawn)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:10 am »
+2

I expected a story about an adventure had while playing Adventures in real life.  Maybe something Jumanji-esque. Calling A Drowned Kerenel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:37 am »

This happened a lot in DC too. When there hadn't been a reshuffle yet, we allowed players to do it later when they remembered.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »
+1

What do most people do: lay out the Events separate from the rest of the Supply cards, or arrange them together in order of cost?
Just curious, and there may be a better thread to ask this in.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »
+2

What do most people do: lay out the Events separate from the rest of the Supply cards, or arrange them together in order of cost?
Just curious, and there may be a better thread to ask this in.

Separate.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »

I maintain my position that since Event Cards don't move throughout the game, they are simply begging for someone to design a little vertical stand to mount a couple of them on, perhaps with slots that the cards slip into.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »

I maintain my position that since Event Cards don't move throughout the game, they are simply begging for someone to design a little vertical stand to mount a couple of them on, perhaps with slots that the cards slip into.
Like a tray from Scrabble, or a business card holder?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 01:26:18 am »
+1

So, I got Adventures!

...and everybody is going to bed :(
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.