Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: IRL Adventures stories  (Read 50315 times)

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
Re: IRL Adventures stories
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 02:12:14 pm »

I Duplicated a Province last night, that was nice.

On a related note, the Duration aspect of Bridge Trolls makes it way easier to align multiples.

tylorlilley

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • tylorlilley.com
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 01:21:52 pm »
+2

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I finished a game last night and immediately thought of this thread!

So, okay, it turns out Baron is as ridiculous with Inheritance as it sounds like it would be. I got an early 7 thanks to Baron and inherited Advisers. Soon I had 15+ advisers in my deck between the Barons letting me buy/gain two or three estates a turn and the actual advisers pile. Add in a dash of Nobles and Plaza and what followed was a crazy game where I played my deck through Advisers every turn... 13 or so Advisers every turn... I don't think I've ever seen my partner so brain dead as when we finished that game! Having to make so many choices on each of my turns really got to her haha. I really don't think I could convey in words how frazzled she was by the end, constantly second guessing which cards to give me haha.

And yes, I did win that game after several grueling turns where I used Advisers to draw my 7 coppers and my 1 silver and get enough actions out to Baron a few estates to buy two provinces. I came from behind and beat her after being down 2 provinces and a few nobles to nothing at the start!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I finished a game last night and immediately thought of this thread!

So okay, it turns out Baron is as ridiculous with Inheritance as it sounds like it would be. I got to an early 7 thanks to Baron and inherited Advisors. Soon I had 15+ Advisors in my deck between the Barons letting me buy/gain two or three Estates a turn and the actual Advisors pile. Add in a dash of Nobles and Plaza and what followed was a crazy game, where I played my deck with 13 or so Advisors every turn! I don't think I've ever seen my partner so brain dead as when we finished that game! Having to make so many choices on each of my turns really got to her, haha. I really don't think I could convey in words how frazzled she was by the end, constantly second guessing which cards to give me haha.

And yes, I did win that game after several grueling turns where I used Advisors to draw my 7 coppers, my 1 silver and get enough actions out to Baron a few Estates to buy two provinces. I came from behind and beat her after being down 2 provinces and a few Nobles to nothing at the start!

Yes, Baron is a very fun card with Inheritance. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 04:34:05 pm »

I've played a few games with Adventures so far, but I haven't actually played with any events yet.

So what's up with Gear? Apparently in the rulebook, it says that if no cards were reserved on Gear the turn it is played, it is discarded on that turn instead of staying out like a Duration normally does. There's no wording on Gear which would indicate this, and I don't know if there were any formal rules for "if a Duration was not fully applied, discard it this turn" or something like that.

I really really like Guide and Coin of the Realm :) Fun cards that help me push forward a lot.

Lost City is definitely quite strong, even when it gave the free draw on gain to everyone else.

I underestimated Port. Never again.

Hireling is fantastic, some folks in my group think it's undercosted and might be even worth $7, or $8 (at which point I said it was silly to buy a Hireling over a Province).

Haunted Woods can spectacularly backfire by letting players save their cards for future turns.

Whenever Story Teller showed up in any of the games I played, nobody ever bought one. What sort of kingdom would be good for a Story Teller?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 04:40:16 pm »

In the Seaside rulebook and the Adventures rulebook, they say that Durations stay out until they are done doing whatever they are doing.  Hireling doesn't even need the "(this stays in play)", it's just there to remind you.  Playing a Tactician without discarding anything doesn't stay out, Playing a Haven without reserving any cards doesn't stay out, and I don't even know if I should bring up Outpost.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 04:46:35 pm »

Whenever Story Teller showed up in any of the games I played, nobody ever bought one. What sort of kingdom would be good for a Story Teller?

Cards that gain Treasures (Treasure Hunter, Hero, Treasure Trove) are great Storyteller combos. It's a good card in other situations too, but that's a big one.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »

My second game of Adventures included Bridge Troll, Swamp Hag, Storyteller, Treasure Trove, and Lost Arts. The key thing here was: I used Lost Arts on Bridge Troll to make it non-terminal, and had the aim of playing as many Bridge Trolls per turn as I could. But Storyteller was the only draw; and so I used the +$3 from Swamp Hag and the Golds gained from Treasure Trove to fuel my Storytellers so I could draw big hands to try and find my Bridge Trolls.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »

Hmm, basically the only super bad situation that comes to mind is when you draw into Story Teller late in your chain, especially if you've already got a lot of money on the table. Otherwise, for the particular deck that you have, the question is would you benefit more from +$X or +X cards?

That sound about right? I guess +X cards is generally better if you know that those X cards can do better than +$X. The tradeoff doesn't seem much better than Cellar or Stables for example, but I will keep that question in mind the next time I see Story Teller.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:07 am »

I played a game where I stacked most of my tokens on Lost City (it was also that one horrendous game where we played with ALL events), while my friend stacked his on Magpie. Since none of us contested Magpies, he pretty much had Labs that either became activated Menageries or Labs that gain more Labs. He won :(
removed by user

hockeysemlan

• Steward
  • If you're in Gothenburg: Meet me in the Dungeon.
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 03:26:34 am »

Pathfinder + Lost Arts + Ghost Ship = My friends hates me from now on..  :'(

Nah, it was really fun for all of us.. We like us those crazy games, but oh boy. People that dislike KC will have a rough time in a lot of Adventures games...
No win is caused by luck. Not a single one. Losses on the other hand...

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »
+4

Lost Arts on Moat with a board filled with attacks?
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
removed by user

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2015, 07:52:23 pm »
+1

Lost Arts on Moat with a board filled with attacks?
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Laboratory
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:48 pm »

I tried Storyteller again last night... and I have to say, it still seems rather underwhelming. I think Storyteller needs easy ways of generating Gold or Silvers in the kingdom to feed it, or high value treasures of some sort, or else a bunch of non-terminal actions that make money. There was no trashing or cursing in the kingdom, so I thought I could at least get a lot of use out of cycling my deck with Coppers, but that never seemed especially helpful.

There was Relic, but it doesn't have any strong synergy with Storyteller anyway.

There was Magpie, which I got two copies of but one other player managed to pile it out quickly.

The other 2 players bought Bakers for most of the game, and while I could cycle through my deck a little faster, the other players could hit $6 and $8 way more consistently than I could.

Unfortunately I don't remember what the rest of the kingdom was like, but I'm pretty confident I lost that game.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2015, 09:26:39 pm »

Played Adventures with my girlfriend on Wednesday night. Gentle Intro. I ended up "losing" because my 58VP was more than her 19VP, and because my Giant kept trashing her +Action cards (Port, mostly). I had two Hireling (because of Duplicate), and a few Dungeons and enough Ports to play a Giant and two Rangers each turn.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:49:54 pm by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2015, 09:39:16 pm »

I tried Storyteller again last night... and I have to say, it still seems rather underwhelming. I think Storyteller needs easy ways of generating Gold or Silvers in the kingdom to feed it, or high value treasures of some sort, or else a bunch of non-terminal actions that make money. There was no trashing or cursing in the kingdom, so I thought I could at least get a lot of use out of cycling my deck with Coppers, but that never seemed especially helpful.

There was Relic, but it doesn't have any strong synergy with Storyteller anyway.

There was Magpie, which I got two copies of but one other player managed to pile it out quickly.

The other 2 players bought Bakers for most of the game, and while I could cycle through my deck a little faster, the other players could hit $6 and $8 way more consistently than I could.

Unfortunately I don't remember what the rest of the kingdom was like, but I'm pretty confident I lost that game.

Storyteller is awful. I used it one game, and I lost to a terrible strategy. Maybe I'm not using Storyteller right, but I'm going to go out and say this card is bad.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »
+7

Your one experience of playing Storyteller against a "bad strategy" is solid evidence that Storyteller is terrible.  I'm convinced.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2015, 09:50:40 pm »

Your one experience of playing Storyteller against a "bad strategy" is solid evidence that Storyteller is terrible.  I'm convinced.

That's my initial impression. I don't have to play devil's advocate and list JoaT every single time alongside bad impressions to show that I am only stating impressions.

Besides, it might have been a terrible Storyteller board. Maybe I'm not playing it right. But it's very hard to play right.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:52:38 pm by Seprix »

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2015, 12:19:46 am »

Has anyone tried playing Storyteller+Treasure Trove? I haven't been able to play Adventures recently.
removed by user

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 02:08:24 am »

So I played my first adventures game tonight (late to the party, I know :-[) and it included hireling, miser, storyteller, and king's court in a colony game. It genuinely seemed like the best strategy was to go big (the kingdom was adapted from the adventures/prosperity kingdom "Go Big" so it's to be expected), so that's what I did. I was drawing 9 cards per turn and had six coppers on miser. One of my two opponents actually got set up a bit quicker and was looking better...until my king's courted giants started kicking in and clogging/trashing components like miser.

Best dominion experience in a long while.

Edit: it also included expedition and the event that gives you +2 buys and lets you put stuff on top of your deck...both were great for consistency and pairing KC with components.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:09:53 am by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 11:04:03 am »

Has anyone tried playing Storyteller+Treasure Trove? I haven't been able to play Adventures recently.

Yes. I wouldn't have done it if Storyteller hadn't been the only draw on the board, but it was, and it worked out pretty well. I also had Swamp Hags giving me extra coin to convert to draw power at the beginning of the turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 11:57:03 am »
+3

I got an early 7 thanks to Baron and inherited Advisers.

I had to read this 3 times before I realized what it was saying... it's written correctly, but ambiguously. I thought that "Baron and inherited Advisers" were the 2 things that helped you get to an early 7. Which was confusing, since you'd have to have an earlier 7 to get inherited Advisers in the first place.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 01:17:55 am »
+1

I got an early 7 thanks to Baron and inherited Advisers.

I had to read this 3 times before I realized what it was saying... it's written correctly, but ambiguously. I thought that "Baron and inherited Advisers" were the 2 things that helped you get to an early 7. Which was confusing, since you'd have to have an earlier 7 to get inherited Advisers in the first place.

Well, there you go, you eliminated the reading that didn't make sense, and arrived at the one which did.
Yes, English is full of words that could be more than one part of speech; it's a system that offers tremendous flexibility, but sometimes at the cost of utter clarity.
Keep reading those 19th century English novels and you'll get lots of practice with long, convoluted, minimally punctuated sentences that require three readings to parse out!

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2015, 11:15:52 pm »

If you haven't played 'Prince of Orange' yet from the suggested sets, my group really enjoyed it.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »
+5

IRL game with Gardens, Squire, Travelling Fair & Ferry. Gain all the Squires by turn 3 and you feel like Celestial Chameleon.
(perhaps the most favourable board for P1 I've ever seen).
Designer of Chronos Conquest

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2015, 03:42:38 pm »
+1

Pretty lucky to draw the 3 squires on turn 3. EDIT: Oh travelling fair topdecks, right. You still needed 3/4, but that's a fair 5/12 chance.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:48:07 pm by liopoil »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.