Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mission  (Read 4578 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Mission
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:15 am »
+5

Adventures is the perfect expansion for Mission to exist in. Literally every mechanics-related theme gives you a reason to want extra turns in which you can't buy cards.

Events: As buying Events does not count as buying cards, if there is another Event on the table, often you will want to go on a Mission to get the coins for a $5+ event, or the coins and buys to buy an Event multiple times.

Reserve Cards: A Mission can be a great way to get your Reserve Cards into (or in the case of Wine Merchant, out of) your Tavern more quickly.

Duration Cards: Similar to Reserve Cards, you can devote Missions to getting Duration Cards into play to set up for a good future turn.

Tokens: You can use Missions to set up your tokens, whether that be upgrading cards with Teacher or Events, or flipping your Journey Token so it's ready to go for your next turn.

Travellers: Mission Provides extra cycling, enabling you to exchange your Travellers quicker, even on Mission turns. Also, many of the Travellers either attack or gain, so can be useful on Missions.

In fact, every single Adventures Kingdom Card can be directly useful on a Mission, either through being a Reserve Card, Duration Card or Traveller, using tokens, attacking, gaining or trashing/thinning, except Messenger, Port, Lost City and Storyteller, all of which can help with cycling and/or enable you to play your other cards.

In terms of Events, every other Event except for Borrow (unless you want a 4-card hand) and usually Travelling Fair, can be useful on a Mission, for gaining, trashing, setting up future turns, or setting up tokens.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:33:05 am by Jimmmmm »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Mission
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:06:25 am »

You could use Borrow if you want to then buy some other events like Ball or Expedition or Scouting Party.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:08:23 am »

You could use Borrow if you want to then buy some other events like Ball or Expedition or Scouting Party.

I was assuming no more than 2 Events.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:23:04 am »

Mission/WM seems like a nombo - you're either spending $2 to get it off your mat, or you're spending $4... to spend $2 later to get it off your mat.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:27:00 am »
+2

Mission/WM seems like a nombo - you're either spending $2 to get it off your mat, or you're spending $4... to spend $2 later to get it off your mat.

Right, you don't go on a Mission just to put your drunken Wine Merchant back to work. But after you've done all the other things you got to do on your Mission, you're much more likely to have a spare $2 on a turn you can't buy cards than on a turn you can.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:29:41 am »

It would only take 2 events. Actually Borrow + Expedition could be pretty nice if you only have $2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:28 am »
+2

It would only take 2 events. Actually Borrow + Expedition could be pretty nice if you only have $2.

Mission?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 11:32:26 am »

Adventures is the perfect expansion for Mission to exist in.
[...]
In fact, every single Dark Ages Kingdom Card can be directly useful on a Mission, either through being a Reserve Card, Duration Card or Traveller, using tokens, attacking, gaining or trashing/thinning, except Messenger, Port, Lost City and Storyteller, all of which can help with cycling and/or enable you to play your other cards.
Oops?

Although, you can easily use Mission turns to get your Hermit-Madman turns going.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:29 am »
+1

Adventures is the perfect expansion for Mission to exist in.
[...]
In fact, every single Dark Ages Kingdom Card can be directly useful on a Mission, either through being a Reserve Card, Duration Card or Traveller, using tokens, attacking, gaining or trashing/thinning, except Messenger, Port, Lost City and Storyteller, all of which can help with cycling and/or enable you to play your other cards.
Oops?

Whoops. I initially did the same thing at the start of the post as well. I think I'm mixing up the names because Adventures is new, awesome, brain-exploding and will probably be my favourite expansion, just like Dark Ages was when it came out.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 02:21:48 pm »

Mission?

Is this a reminder that we're supposed to be talking about Mission? Well this is something you could do on a Mission turn, but I suppose you're more likely to have more than $2 to spend in this case. I guess the point was that you said Borrow isn't useful on a Mission, but I think it definitely can be, if you're $1 short of an event you'd want to buy.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
+4

Mission?

Is this a reminder that we're supposed to be talking about Mission? Well this is something you could do on a Mission turn, but I suppose you're more likely to have more than $2 to spend in this case. I guess the point was that you said Borrow isn't useful on a Mission, but I think it definitely can be, if you're $1 short of an event you'd want to buy.

I think the point was that it would take more than 2 events: Borrow, Expedition… and Mission.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »
+1

Mission?

I think the point was that it would take more than 2 events: Borrow, Expedition… and Mission.

D'oh! Right, yeah... sorry, totally wasn't thinking clearly there.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 11:29:59 pm »
+1

A related point is that opponents' Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag disincentivise buying cards, so if you decide not to buy cards on a given turn to dodge the attack, all the same things apply as for a Mission turn.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:34:12 pm »
+1

Right, you don't go on a Mission just to put your drunken Wine Merchant back to work. But after you've done all the other things you got to do on your Mission, you're much more likely to have a spare $2 on a turn you can't buy cards than on a turn you can.
Actually, the only game I played with mission had wine merchant and haunted woods.  I spent 4 on a mission to avoid putting like 3 cards back on my deck/still put them back and use the mission to skip the crappy turn and bring my 3 wine merchants off my mat at the same time.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.