Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: university/distant lands  (Read 3074 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
university/distant lands
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:43:09 am »

this seems like a pretty strong um, pair of cards which help each other. take a lot of extra time to build your engine. once you can draw your deck, you're just gaining 4vp and islanding it away the same turn. needs good handsize increasers, as university always does.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
Re: university/distant lands
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:29:39 am »

Would this classify as a 'rush', like Gardens or Silk Road, or is the extra time in setting it up so long that the game is well under way before you can end the game?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

Would this classify as a 'rush', like Gardens or Silk Road, or is the extra time in setting it up so long that the game is well under way before you can end the game?

Will have to either simulate or play a few games with it.  Will get back to you!

EDIT: Let's think about this.  To be a rush, you need to be able to three-pile.  You're definitely emptying out the DL's, and maybe the Universities, but I'm not sure you necessarily want to do that.  What other piles would you be emptying?  You're certainly not adding to your economy enough to buy Provinces if you're focusing on gaining DL's.  Hmm.  You probably would have to buy all the Uni's, and then with so many of them, you could probably empty a third pile in a couple turns just be drawing four or five of them in hand.  I'm guessing you'd probably want two Potions to get Uni's fast enough.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:55:56 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:04:59 am »
+1

I don't think anything where University is your gainer can be thought of as a "rush"

EDIT: Let's think about this.  To be a rush, you need to be able to three-pile.  You're definitely emptying out the DL's, and maybe the Universities, but I'm not sure you necessarily want to do that.  What other piles would you be emptying?  You're certainly not adding to your economy enough to buy Provinces if you're focusing on gaining DL's.  Hmm.  You probably would have to buy all the Uni's, and then with so many of them, you could probably empty a third pile in a couple turns just be drawing four or five of them in hand.  I'm guessing you'd probably want two Potions to get Uni's fast enough.

This loses so hard to Big Money + Distant Lands. Piling Universities is going to take FOREVER.

OTOH, Uni+Distant Lands is quite good in an engine.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:07:38 am »
+1

You can play it as a rush, but if you do, it most certainly sucks because University is so much more difficult to acquire than Ironworks, Distant Lands itself is more difficult to buy with coins than Gardens or Silk Road, your opponent can easily deny the Distant Lands without hurting his deck at all (and it's a pretty efficient source of VP for him, even, unlike Gardens or Silk Roads), your gainer can't help you empty the Estates, and your gainer is even better for engines than Ironworks. And there are tons of other reasons too, but this post would be a mess if I listed them all, so I'll just stop here.

I think it's something that you use for engine payload when you can't use University to improve your engine any more.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:53 am »

Ferry/IW/DL, OTOH, would actually be a rush.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:57:53 am »

Yeah, I definitely don't mean a rush. I guess what I mean is, the problem with University-centered engines is that (absent trashing especially) they tend to go off too late. Distant lands is a nice payload once your engine is built-- for example, if your opponent has picked up two provinces, then you "trade baskets" for the rest of the game, you'll win (5 provinces loses to 3 provinces + 3 distant lands) and to boot, the distant lands island themselves so don't make you stall like a duchy would.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:00 am »

(5 provinces loses to 3 provinces + 3 distant lands)

No it doesn't.  They tie.

2*6 = 3*4

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 01:15:46 pm »
+1

People need to stop thinking about rushes; there are very few cards that actually enable viable rush strategies.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »

Actually wanting to empty the Universities has to be an absurdly rare situation, especially when their main purpose is to gain just 8 cards.

Distant Lands sounds very nice to pick up when you can once you've got a nicely running engine with extra draws and actions. University lets you pick up Actions, potentially past the point where you'll actually have a use for it in getting more engine components, as well as giving you actions to use to play any Distant Lands you gain. They've definitely got synergy, but it sounds to me like a bonus for times when an engine containing University is already viable rather than forming a strategy in itself.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »

People need to stop thinking about rushes; there are very few cards that actually enable viable rush strategies.

Yeah, like Rebuild. People should totally forget about that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.