Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wrong to go for Rebuild?  (Read 2600 times)

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
Wrong to go for Rebuild?
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:38 pm »
+1

Kingdom

Code: [Select]
Haven, Squire, Watchtower, Ironworks, Plaza, Apprentice, Count, Counterfeit, Harvest, Rebuild

So I didn't get much farther analyzing this board I didn't get much farther than Rebuild.  Of course shelters makes it weaker, but I decided to try it anyway.  I made a few misplays, but nothing huge.  Still, what is the better strategy?

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150415/log.540f7ba9e4b0750ebc1f578a.1429122719911.txt

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong to go for Rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:51:54 pm »
+2

There's a good Plaza/Watchtower engine (discard treasures to Plaza, then draw back to 6 with Watchtower) using Squire/Counterfeit for +Buy, Count/Counterfeit for trashing (I'd probably skip Apprentice) and Count to ensure that you can discard your victory cards mid-turn so that they don't clog your hand. I'd open Ironworks/Watchtower and build that, taking Count before Counterfeit on most draws.

Rebuild/Silvers doesn't seem competitive with that. That said, in a Rebuild mirror Apprentice doesn't seem good at any point. Also, on turn 7 you should buy Estate to trash Hovel so that you can Rebuild the Estate into another Duchy. Winning the Duchy split in the Rebuild mirror is very important. Obligatory link to the excellent Rebuild mirror article: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8398.0

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:52:17 pm »
+3

Rebuild is surely much worse than the engine here. The engine involves just about everything except rebuild. It especially uses watchtower! I am not sure exactly what order to buy things in, but eventually you want to be drawing everything and getting multiple provinces. Get plenty of actions with plaza/squire, and then you should be able to get your hand down to just a watchtower and draw 6 cards, maybe with an apprentice play at the end.

If you do decide to go for rebuild, the only 5-costs you want are rebuild, duchy, and a single count. No apprentice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:53:59 pm by liopoil »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »
+2

Plaza/Watchtower/Squire/Count should beat Rebuild here, I think.  The non-WT cards reduce your handsize, which you draw back up with Watchtower.  You can mix Rebuild in with this strategy too, as Duchy gaining from Count should be viable (the gained Duchy can be topdecked and then Rebuilt).  Very flexible board, I think.  I'd open Ironworks/Watchtower or Counterfeit/Squire
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:57:04 am »

If you do decide to go for rebuild, the only 5-costs you want are rebuild, duchy, and a single count. No apprentice.

I don't think you want a Count though. You'd rather just have another Rebuild if it's early, or a Duchy if you're running out of stuff to Rebuild and you still need more points.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:40:51 am »

Yeah, I definitely underestimated ironworks in this case, and wasn't thinking watctower at all, which is odd as I love that card.  Basically my brain turned off when I saw Rebuild.  This board is a lesson that I need to keep looking and thinking even in the presence of a power card.  Thanks everyone.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:50:18 pm »

I'd open Ironworks/Watchtower or Counterfeit/Squire

Is Counterfeit/Squire better than Apprentice/Squire or Count/Squire?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:05:09 pm »
+2

I would expect it to be something like Count > Counterfeit >> Apprentice
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.