Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 12924 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 11:33:23 am »

It really is amazing how Christopher Paolini just took everyone else's stories and merged them to make his own.  I mean, seriously?  It is like he took the first few chapters of Eye of the World and changed the names and a bit of the story.

I never read him.

I saw the movie.  It was terrible.

Movie adaptions of books are quite often terrible. Do not hold it against the book series, which was actually quite good. Not LoTR good, but good.

Ah yes, "LoTR good". Lord of the Rings is like a play-by-play account of a D&D campaign. I think my favorite part is when Frodo and Sam are at the top of a cliff and discuss for several pages the best way to climb down. Thanks, Tolkien!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:35:46 am by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 12:08:14 pm »

Lord of the Rings reads like a Bible.  I mean, that's probably intentional, but I feel that The Hobbit is much better written.  Reads better, at least.

Eragon (movie)'s problems were all story problems.  It was cliched to all hell.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

Be forewarned, the books run into some pretty serious pacing issues around the fifth book.

This this, so much this. If anything it gets worse (more fractured) before it gets better.

Also, I find it extremely hilarious how the girls in dream world constantly get "lower necklines" whenever they think of guys. Like, hilarious. Sure, changing clothes based on emotions, blah, blah. But for all his creativity, when it comes to dreams, all girls care about is cleavage.

Robert Jordan might run out of ways to describe heaving bosoms, but he never stops trying.

Anyhow I started the series as a teenager and read it as fast as I could until I had caught up. I'd pick up the new WoT book whenever it came out. I don't think I would have had the patience for it had I started it later in life, but I kept reading it out of a sense of obligation and nostalgia. I actually think Brendan Sanderson does a very good job of ending the series, it feels like Jordan's writing, probably because it at least partially is, but also because Sanderson does a great job of writing in Jordan's style. Anyhow enjoy the series for what it is, an interesting world, but it gets pretty pulpy and soap opera-esque. Still it's a lot of fun.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 12:29:21 pm »
+1

Ah yes, "LoTR good". Lord of the Rings is like a play-by-play account of a D&D campaign. I think my favorite part is when Frodo and Sam are at the top of a cliff and discuss for several pages the best way to climb down. Thanks, Tolkien!

Which is why the movies are better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:00 pm »
+1

No good DM would split the party for such a long time.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:57 pm »

Come on, LoTR is arguably the greatest literary composition of the 20th century.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 12:53:23 pm »

Agreed, but sometimes that's on the party. A good DM also doesn't railroad the PCs.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »
+3

Come on, LoTR is arguably the greatest literary composition of the 20th century.

Well, it's the best-selling one, but I wouldn't really argue that it's even close to being the greatest.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
+2

Agreed, but sometimes that's on the party. A good DM also doesn't railroad the PCs.

LOTR D&D, Chapter Elrond's Council:

Frodo_Player: "So I have to go on a suicide mission to the most dangerous place in the world---"
Boromir_Player: "One does not simply walk into Morodor."
Frodo_Player: "Frank, shut up.  So anyway, I have this super powerful ring and I can choose to become a powerful Lich or go on a certain death journey."
GM_As_Elrond: "Well, um... the ring must be destroyed."
Frodo_Player: "Yeah, I'm going to the bad route on this one.  I pop on the ring."
GM: "No, I mean.. you can't choose to not go on the journey, I have like 1000 pages of story and encounter written for this."
Frod_Player: "I guess you should have narrated this part then.  I'm going to climb to a high point and try to flag down a Nazgul for a ride."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »

Well, it's the best-selling one, but I wouldn't really argue that it's even close to being the greatest.

Not even close?

Sir, do you even Literature?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 01:10:34 pm »
+1

Okay Frodo and Sam ditch the party sure, but lots of the other fellowship members are just trying to find each other and JRR makes it take forever.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 01:11:22 pm »

Okay Frodo and Sam ditch the party sure, but lots of the other fellowship members are just trying to find each other and JRR makes it take forever.

Hm, agreed.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:42 pm »

I mean it depends on the system.  If it's not D&D and you can make combat short and brutal, splitting the party isn't so bad.  Jumpcuts are a GM's best friend.

I assume Helm's Deep was a night where Frodo and Sam were absent.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:43 pm »

LoTR inspired D&D, not the other way around. When Tolkien wrote his book, that entire genre didn't even exist, or barely existed.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »
+2

LoTR inspired D&D, not the other way around. When Tolkien wrote his book, that entire genre didn't even exist, or barely existed.

Pretty sure we all know this.

Also, Jack Vance inspired a lot of how D&D worked too.  Although Gygax managed to ignore the coolest stuff about Vance.

Even more off-topic: Anyone played the Dying Earth RPG?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »
+6

Not even close?

A ton of literature was written in the 20th century, and many of those works are incredible. It's not even the greatest work of its year. It's not even the greatest work by Tolkien. It's not even close.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:31 pm »

Not even close?

A ton of literature was written in the 20th century, and many of those works are incredible. It's not even the greatest work of its year. It's not even the greatest work by Tolkien. It's not even close.

Hahaha, you what mate?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »

Relevant.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:25 am »
+1

/necro

E, did you ever finish the series or did you give up somewhere between books 6 and 10 (I wouldn't blame you)?

I've been making my way through the series very slowly for about 15 years or so and am in the middle of book 12 right now. All I've got to say is thank god for Brandon Sanderson. Best book since 4 or 5.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.