Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Discussion of the Secret History of Adventures  (Read 4753 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Discussion of the Secret History of Adventures
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:52:00 pm »
+2

Maybe I'm missing something but no one opened a discussion topic for this?

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13082.msg485295#msg485295

Frankly I've been busy at work all day and only now just saw this!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion of the Secret History of Adventures
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »

Donald says that Gear is a card to watch, which I think validates my suspicion. :D

He mentions a TR variant that replays a card in play, but it never worked out because it requires a card that gives +1 Action.  Couldn't this have been combined into Royal Carriage?  Say, something like this:

Directly after resolving an Action, you may call this, to replay any other Action in play.

It improves RC slightly by allowing it to target a card that was played before this one.  Maybe it would be too powerful, or maybe the tracking would get too confusing, especially with Durations.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »

Well, a lot of them were short sentences - not that I blame Donald, he did have 58 things to go through.  I thought the Traveller history was most interesting; then again, I've heard most of the other tidbits from playtesters already.  ;)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »

Something that jumped out at me was that Swamp Hag at one point in development gave +1 card on the turn you played it. This is interesting to me because, other than Ruined Library, there's no card in Dominion that just gives you terminal +1 card when you play it. (I mean, there are cards that can give you terminal +1 card, like Jack of All Trades or Ironworks, but none that specifically and regularly do.) But apparently this isn't something Donald specifically avoids on principle, which is interesting to know.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:31:15 am »

I'm surprised by the remark about Counterfeit causing problems with a Treasure-Duration. Wouldn't it stay out for tracking like Throne Room?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 04:07:13 am »
+2

I'm surprised by the remark about Counterfeit causing problems with a Treasure-Duration. Wouldn't it stay out for tracking like Throne Room?
Well the treasure won't though, it's trashed. It's the same issue as Procession / Duration; obv. I made Procession anyway, but I could fix the problem here so I did. Herbalist is another good example; without that "if this is in play" clause you would get the $ next turn but nothing would be in play to indicate it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:13:51 am »
+2

Something that jumped out at me was that Swamp Hag at one point in development gave +1 card on the turn you played it. This is interesting to me because, other than Ruined Library, there's no card in Dominion that just gives you terminal +1 card when you play it. (I mean, there are cards that can give you terminal +1 card, like Jack of All Trades or Ironworks, but none that specifically and regularly do.) But apparently this isn't something Donald specifically avoids on principle, which is interesting to know.
I do avoid it, because it feels bad, you are risking drawing a dead action and all you got for it was +1 Card. I tried it on Swamp Hag anyway, meaning it wasn't out of the question that the card end up like that. It was a negative but not forbidden. Of course when it's "Now and next turn +1 Card" the next turn part feels good.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 06:01:58 am »

Why isn't Prince a duration like Hireling ?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:06:33 am »
+1

Because you can't include the rules for Durations with a single card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:31 am »

Because you can't include the rules for Durations with a single card.

Also, apparently Prince works best when set aside, rather than staying in play, as was discussed in the Prince Secret History.  ;)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:32:24 pm »
+2

I tried different forms of it, including a Duration version. There might have been a good Duration version, but the published version was the best one I found. "Best" in terms of, trying to make the card understandable and have good resolutions to various problem cases.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 01:37:38 pm »
+1

Quote from: Donald X. link=topic=13082.msg485295#msg485295
So eventually I would make another Dominion expansion. [...] And there was stuff to do, so I did it.
I think this pretty much sums up the entire Secret History of Adventures. Thanks Mr. DXV!  8)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »
+3

Cwazy!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:22:47 pm »
+1

Another Duration card that was around for a while gave out Golds to people who bought the right type of card. You named a type, you know, and it worked for you on two turns but only on one turn for them. It's fun naming the type, trying to make it hard on the other players. I liked the friendly interaction. But in multiples it just scripted games; you did what the card told you to.

This had a wacky combo with Travelling Fair. You'd play this and choose Treasures. Then you'd spend all of your money that turn on Travelling Fairs. For each buy, you'd buy Copper, gain Gold, and top-deck the Golds. It's a Duration card, so the next time your turn rolls around, you spend all those Golds and do it again, top-decking all those Golds and Coppers. Then you could just buy Provinces for the next several turns. Good times.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.643 seconds with 22 queries.