Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff  (Read 46980 times)

rickert

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
Re: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:24 pm »
+4

Okay, so I just got my physical copy and all I have to say is that Hasbro f'd upped BIG TIME! I mean really big. The cards are noticeably thinner and feel much different. That's the biggest thing. Then, the rulebook. It's all blurry and pixelated. And, it seems to be of lower quality paper than the previous rule books. It's a step down. Actually, everything is a step down. The box lacks the waxy feel so feels very different from the other boxes. I am a very tactile person so this really stands out to me. The tokens are okay, but lack the sleek feel and luster of the Prosperity and Sea Side mats. Essentially, Hasbro toned down the high standards we saw in previous Dominion sets for whatever reason and hopped no one would notice. And, they are freaking huge company for crying out loud. Ugh! Yah, I'm dissapointed, but I know this is not RGG's fault. This does leave a bad impression though on some people who will see it as RGG trying to cut corners.

Cards are definitely not thinner.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 10:20:34 pm »

Okay, so I just got my physical copy and all I have to say is that Hasbro f'd upped BIG TIME! I mean really big. The cards are noticeably thinner and feel much different. That's the biggest thing. Then, the rulebook. It's all blurry and pixelated. And, it seems to be of lower quality paper than the previous rule books. It's a step down. Actually, everything is a step down. The box lacks the waxy feel so feels very different from the other boxes. I am a very tactile person so this really stands out to me. The tokens are okay, but lack the sleek feel and luster of the Prosperity and Sea Side mats. Essentially, Hasbro toned down the high standards we saw in previous Dominion sets for whatever reason and hopped no one would notice. And, they are freaking huge company for crying out loud. Ugh! Yah, I'm dissapointed, but I know this is not RGG's fault. This does leave a bad impression though on some people who will see it as RGG trying to cut corners.
Well, huge companies just leave lots of room for broken telephone stuff. I don't know how many euro-style board games they print. It could be that the place where they printed the demo cards for RGG was not the same place that they mass produced the boxes. Maybe? Did they just assume all their production facilities were alike? Am I totally off on this guess?

Man, now I'm hesitant to get a physical copy of Adventures, at least until the next round of prints.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
+2

Well, I took the plastic off.

1. The box is missing the waxy feel of the previous sets. The texture is still there, but the overall feel is not quite on the level of previous sets.

2. The cardboard sheet with the tokens could use a gloss coat. It would probably help the colors not feel so faded. A few images were off-center.

3. The packs of cards, at first glance, seemed okay. There was a little offset in the black border, but nothing significant. The increased flexibility is definitely noticeable. They weigh in at 173.5g-175g each. (Pulling 10 random cards from previous sets vs Adventures suggests they weigh about 3.5% less, or 1.80g each to 1.74g each)

4. The rulebook is also missing the glossy appearance of the previous sets. The images are all pixelated. This is most noticeable on the cover.

5. I need to rethink my storage solution. And I need more sleeves (for my bundles of 10/12 cards).

Overall, I think the quality of materials has decreased (about 3.5%?) compared to previous sets. I am disappointed by the lack of a gloss coat on the box and the mats, and think the cards will not be as durable given the extra flexibility.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2015, 11:03:39 pm »
+2

I don't envy Jay having to deal with all of this.

So if Hasbro made any QC guarantees, it will be just an annoyance to do stuff like swap mis-cut decks. Once upon a time, over 30 years ago, I worked at a photo developing plant where we had high speed machines to cut out the prints, and you can definitely have calibration issues with those beasts...but when they cropped up, you would just redo the work, preferably before they shipped to the customer because you would catch the issue with your QC step. Now, my guess is that my one deck (which is off by as much as 8-9 mm) is a << 1% kind of error, or at least should be, so the number of affected sets should itself be < 1%.

In any case, I filled in the handy web form on the RGG website and included a link to the pictures of the cards, so I'm guessing I will have replacements in a week or two.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:06 pm »

I don't mind the texture on the box... I kind of like the feel of it, and the nonglossy look.  But the rest could use some gloss, maybe.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:50 pm »
+1

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 12:39:46 am »

It looks like I will have to be doing that, unfortunately. Just got it today, and one of my decks was completely miscut.

Here are some Distant Lands (but bonus: I got a total of eleven!)
http://imgur.com/yH4Qnuz

...and the whole deck is basically like that. (This was the Distant Lands -> last 6 Dungeons deck; the others are fine.) I didn't realize the backs were messed up until I had sleeved them.

If you have the chance, can you list what cards are in that deck? My Distant Lands also appear somewhat miscut; it's not as bad as yours, but if you know to look you can tell them apart from other cards easily (never-been-played-with Scout used for comparison). If there's a list of cards from that deck I'd know what else to check. Thanks!

Christen

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:14 am »

How are the new cards when sleeved with thick sleeves (like Mayday Premium ones)? Are they identifiable when mixed with other sleeved cards from the previous expansions?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:10 am »

How are the new cards when sleeved with thick sleeves (like Mayday Premium ones)? Are they identifiable when mixed with other sleeved cards from the previous expansions?

Without sleeves the cards are super flexible, and I would argue this makes them marked. With sleeves, they are still flexible, but much less so, at least with the high-end sleeves that I use.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2015, 07:17:09 am »
+5

It looks like I will have to be doing that, unfortunately. Just got it today, and one of my decks was completely miscut.

Here are some Distant Lands (but bonus: I got a total of eleven!)
http://imgur.com/yH4Qnuz

...and the whole deck is basically like that. (This was the Distant Lands -> last 6 Dungeons deck; the others are fine.) I didn't realize the backs were messed up until I had sleeved them.

If you have the chance, can you list what cards are in that deck? My Distant Lands also appear somewhat miscut; it's not as bad as yours, but if you know to look you can tell them apart from other cards easily (never-been-played-with Scout used for comparison). If there's a list of cards from that deck I'd know what else to check. Thanks!

So Todd Jensen, RGG Spare Parts Guy, already got back to me about sending replacements.

The affected cards are:

Distant Lands
Port
Coin of the Realm
Page
Peasant
Rat Catcher
Raze
Amulet
Caravan Guard
Dungeon (6 of them; the other 4 are in another deck and are fine)

If you count up, it's exactly 100 cards; note that only Page and Peasant are affected, not the upgrades.

Within the sets, all cards are affected, but cards 1, 2, 7, 8, 9 and 10 (counting from the front sides) seem to show more mis-cut. Only Distant Lands had a white border on one edge; the others just sometimes graze the gold "non-randomizer" border, which tells me Distant Lands was on the edge of the sheet. Both sides of the card are equally mis-cut, so this is a cutting issue and not printing misregistration between front and back. The Randomizers for the affected cards, which are in a different deck, are not affected.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:09 am »

I received my copy yesterday. I have no problem with the mats and tokens. In facts, the tokens are sturdier than I anticipated. I did not have any miscuts either. I share everyones concern that the cards are noticeably flexible unsleeved. However, after sleeving all of the cards (euro mayday sleeves, not premium), I was unable to notice any difference while playing the game. I even tried to predict when I would draw an adventures card and a non-adventures card and it amounted to no more than a mere guess. Indeed, there were many times when I was certain that the card was an adventures card and it turned out to be a copper. Perhaps some of you may be able to identify adventures cards while playing, but I had no issues during my games.

I have to say, the new cards are an absolute blast. I haven't had this much fun playing dominion since I first discovered the game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:36:17 am by SuperHans »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 11:13:00 am »
+1

Got my shipping notice from RGG today that my replacement cards are in the mail. Very quick turnaround time.

My (non-miscut) Adventures cards, sleeved in FFG purple, are unidentifiable while playing. Like I've said before, you can tell the cards apart by touch, but not sight, so it doesn't affect gameplay.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2015, 06:45:48 pm »

Mine was just delivered today - I haven't delved into the quality issues too much, but there are several additional copies of some of the cards, and their edges are munched. Also, 2/3 of the cards have corners that are not cut the same as all the rest of the cards, so they are definitely noticeable visually and not only by touch.
I am actually considering sending the box back as defective and getting a replacement after the re-print.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 06:53:05 pm »

Moderately unrelated - my copy of Prosperity only came with 5-VP tokens and Trade Route tokens - it didn't have any 1-VP tokens.  I didn't think of it as a big deal, because honestly I can just tally VP on a notepad, and I also didn't know RGG would send replacement parts.  Would it be silly to ask Jay for components missing from a product I bought 4 years ago?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:12 pm »
+1

but there are several additional copies of some of the cards, and their edges are munched.

Interesting. Have you taken a full inventory, and are you sure it's not just the 2 "extra" Ports (which is intentional)?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:03 pm »

Only one of the 4 card packs in my set seemed to be mostly even on the top and bottom borders. The other three had reasonably noticeable shift on at least 2 cards of each set of 10. The pack with randomizers, Traveler upgrades and 4 Hirelings was the worst as has been seen by others, but a significant number of the cards I got fall in the ~3.5mm/4.5mm shift.  I don't know if I should ask for replacements for just the worst (~3mm/5mm) of the cards, or also the others.  I don't think I had very many stacks that didn't have at least a couple of noticeable shifts.

I spot checked a stack from Intrigue, Dark Ages, and Seaside and they all looked perfect to me.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »

For me personally, you won't notice 3.5/4.5mm. I have a Gold from the base set that off that I have never, ever noticed. Beyond that, it's up to you and your friends' eyesight, I guess.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:49 pm »

Mine was just delivered today - I haven't delved into the quality issues too much, but there are several additional copies of some of the cards, and their edges are munched. Also, 2/3 of the cards have corners that are not cut the same as all the rest of the cards, so they are definitely noticeable visually and not only by touch.
I am actually considering sending the box back as defective and getting a replacement after the re-print.
If you have miscut cards, send 'em in and you will get replacements. They won't be replacements from after the reprint though - that could easily be a year off.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »
+6

Only one of the 4 card packs in my set seemed to be mostly even on the top and bottom borders. The other three had reasonably noticeable shift on at least 2 cards of each set of 10. The pack with randomizers, Traveler upgrades and 4 Hirelings was the worst as has been seen by others, but a significant number of the cards I got fall in the ~3.5mm/4.5mm shift.  I don't know if I should ask for replacements for just the worst (~3mm/5mm) of the cards, or also the others.  I don't think I had very many stacks that didn't have at least a couple of noticeable shifts.
If people post pictures of miscut cards that they aren't returning, I will collect them to send to Jay to send to Hasbro.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 10:04:18 pm »
+2

Moderately unrelated - my copy of Prosperity only came with 5-VP tokens and Trade Route tokens - it didn't have any 1-VP tokens.  I didn't think of it as a big deal, because honestly I can just tally VP on a notepad, and I also didn't know RGG would send replacement parts.  Would it be silly to ask Jay for components missing from a product I bought 4 years ago?
For sure you can expect to get those 1 VP tokens. If you're unhappy about something (such as a bendy cards), you cannot expect a replacement after playing with the set for a while. But something always missing, I'm sure he will send you it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:59 am »
+3

Unfortunately, I noticed a new issue with my cards which, since I've seen it, has made it very difficult to play Dominion fairly. The color of the back of the cards is different.

Specifically, the back of my Adventures cards is lighter than the back of my other cards, including my Intrigue base cards and my Base Cards add on cards. I'll compare the color of the backs to the other expansions when I get the time later today, but as soon as I drew my hand after the first shuffle, I could tell 1 of the cards was different from the other 4, and it turned out to be the Adventures card... I kept noticing the lighter card backs of all my Adventures cards throughout the game.

My Intrigue base cards have been used a little bit, but not a ton, not enough to significantly darken (and don't cards fade over time, rather than darken?). It's really, really noticeable. I'm going to have to sink $60 into Euro black sleeves I guess... which also means I get to stop using 9-card binder pages to organize my cards... I'm really not happy about this. (By the way, if anyone can link me to cheaper opaque back sleeves, that would be cool, 3000 of these things ain't cheap)

Here's a few pictures. Even if you ignore the slight dinging of the older cards (which I can do as long as I don't specifically go looking for them), the card back makes it OBVIOUS which cards are which.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMErZPJ.jpg - Second card from the left and second card from the right are Adventures.
http://i.imgur.com/jESgQf2.jpg - Middle card is from Adventures.
http://i.imgur.com/nQGXqWD.jpg - Bottom two cards are from Adventures.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:26:12 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:22 am »

Cards are definitely not thinner.

I compared my Adventures cards to cards from older sets and put them side by side, and they are indeed thinner. I'm not sure how much thinner, but I can visibly tell the difference.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:17 am »
+2

I find it really sad that this great expansion has to suffer through all this misprinting stuff and lower quality standards. It's such a great expansion and to have this happen is very annoying.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:10 am »
+3

Unfortunately, I noticed a new issue with my cards which, since I've seen it, has made it very difficult to play Dominion fairly. The color of the back of the cards is different.

Specifically, the back of my Adventures cards is lighter than the back of my other cards, including my Intrigue base cards and my Base Cards add on cards. I'll compare the color of the backs to the other expansions when I get the time later today, but as soon as I drew my hand after the first shuffle, I could tell 1 of the cards was different from the other 4, and it turned out to be the Adventures card... I kept noticing the lighter card backs of all my Adventures cards throughout the game.

My Intrigue base cards have been used a little bit, but not a ton, not enough to significantly darken (and don't cards fade over time, rather than darken?). It's really, really noticeable. I'm going to have to sink $60 into Euro black sleeves I guess... which also means I get to stop using 9-card binder pages to organize my cards... I'm really not happy about this. (By the way, if anyone can link me to cheaper opaque back sleeves, that would be cool, 3000 of these things ain't cheap)

Here's a few pictures. Even if you ignore the slight dinging of the older cards (which I can do as long as I don't specifically go looking for them), the card back makes it OBVIOUS which cards are which.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMErZPJ.jpg - Second card from the left and second card from the right are Adventures.
http://i.imgur.com/jESgQf2.jpg - Middle card is from Adventures.
http://i.imgur.com/nQGXqWD.jpg - Bottom two cards are from Adventures.

You know, I don't really spend a whole lot of time looking at the backs of my own cards.  I'm usually more concerned with their front.  And if I'm playing against someone, the distance across the table is usually far enough to make it a little harder to differentiate minor differences in color shading that it doesn't really matter with my opponent's hand.

I mean, yes, this is not optimal, but not nearly the problem as miscut cards or too flexible cards.  Quite honestly, Hinterlands and the new Base Cards also have noticeably (if you actually peer closely enough at them) different color backs than the base set.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:58:38 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2015, 09:41:39 am »

I find it really sad that this great expansion has to suffer through all this misprinting stuff and lower quality standards. It's such a great expansion and to have this happen is very annoying.

I didn't get DA or Guilds in paper format, because I don't generally play in person any longer.  I was figuring I'd buy Adventures since we won't see them digitally until 2016 most likely.  But after this thread, and if the reprint won't be for another year... I guess I'll just go digital after all.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.