Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff  (Read 46976 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:08:46 pm »
+7

Overall, another quality job from RGG!  The tokens are made of cardboard, but nice and thick, and still high quality.  The cards are great, as ever.  However, the insert, while of a higher quality than previous, is a little too small to fit snugly in the box, and the slot for Peasant is a little too big.  There are also no designated spots to put the Tavern mats or tokens.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:05:41 am »
+4

I was expecting the -1 Card and -$1 tokens to be smaller. I know why they're big, but that means they're harder to fit into my storage solution and I'm going to have to find some elegant way to get them in there.

People in my group will be pleased that white is a color option. They will not be happy that orange was chosen over purple (though I prefer that). Doesn't really matter, I'll only be keeping red, yellow, and green in my main box anyways :P

The game smells amazing.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:08:13 am »

Voltaire can tell you more about it, but he and I played with his copy for the first time last night and there were issues the backs of some of the cards being printed off-center.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:10:45 am »

Voltaire can tell you more about it, but he and I played with his copy for the first time last night and there were issues the backs of some of the cards being printed off-center.

That sounds like a pretty big deal. If I were RGG, I would complain to Hasbro.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:11:36 am »

I was expecting the -1 Card and -$1 tokens to be smaller. I know why they're big, but that means they're harder to fit into my storage solution and I'm going to have to find some elegant way to get them in there.

People in my group will be pleased that white is a color option. They will not be happy that orange was chosen over purple (though I prefer that). Doesn't really matter, I'll only be keeping red, yellow, and green in my main box anyways :P

The game smells amazing.

How big are they, like relative to the size of a card?

If this is noticeable, I will regrettably hold off on buying Adventures until it is fixed.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:27 am »

I don't know if it's every set or just a misprint on his. If you're paying attention you can tell just by looking at the backs which cards are part of the peasant line though.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:20:48 am »

The game smells amazing.

How big are they, like relative to the size of a card?

If this is noticeable, I will regrettably hold off on buying Adventures until it is fixed.

It's 1, maybe 2 millimeters.  I honestly couldn't tell until Voltaire pointed it out to me.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:24:06 am »

Once it has been pointed out to you, though, you can tell certain cards apart just by looking at the backs. And since Voltaire's cards are likely to be used in a tournament setting I imagine it's a pretty big deal to him.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 10:25:14 am »

Once it has been pointed out to you, though, you can tell certain cards apart just by looking at the backs. And since Voltaire's cards are likely to be used in a tournament setting I imagine it's a pretty big deal to him.

If you turn the off-center cards upside-down, you can't tell anymore.  That isn't really all that much of an inconvenience for the time being, especially since the only cards affected are 4 Hirelings (which you can put on the bottom of the pile - when is the Hireling pile ever going to empty?) and the Traveller upgrades.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 11:25:59 am »
+6

There's some variation among how "off" the cards are. One was as bad as 2 / 7 mm (top and bottom margins on the back). You have to try not to notice that while shuffling. However, some are closer to 3.5 / 4.5 mm, and you won't notice that unless you get out a ruler. And you probably already own some cards that off-center already and don't realize it - to confirm I wasn't crazy, I measured a random Gold from the base set and it was 3.5 / 4.5 mm off-center.

My problem affects 1 of 4 of the sealed "blocks" of cards the set arrives in. It contains Events, randomizers, blanks, the Peasant/Page upgrade lines (but not Peasant/Page themselves), and 4 Hirelings. And as I said before, there's variation on how badly off they are - some are, you will notice immediately while you shuffle, some aren't. And it doesn't matter if the Events, randomizers, and blanks are off-center anyway.

I've contacted RGG, but the variation within my own set on the size of the error makes me think I just got the bad end of a printing as something slowly slid out of place. It sounds like wero's set is affected much less, and again, I want to stress that some Dominion cards are already off-center and you won't notice if you don't dig out a ruler.

But the 2 / 7 mm ones, you'll notice that with the naked eye while you shuffle.

EDIT: I'm using generic second-person "you" here, not talking to ADK the whole time  :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:49:07 am by Voltaire »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »
+9

My open copy does not have miscut cards; Jay checked some of his and didn't see the problem either. We won't know if it affects many people until more people report in.

Jay wants to remind people that they can contact him for replacements.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »
+8

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the different cardstock. It's noticeably more flexible; I was easily able to tell an Adventures from a pre-Adventures card by feel, even in a sleeve.

At first I was dismayed, but upon reflection, it doesn't seem to be a problem. They still seem sturdy enough and there's no time that you would feel a card and benefit from knowing what it is. Although: if I were playing against a tournament opponent I didn't trust, and that opponent were pile shuffling, I would ask to cut their deck.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:46:28 pm »
+4

Yep - the cards are definitely, definitely flimsier, but I've now played almost a dozen games with Adventures cards, and it doesn't actually affect the game. You only notice it while you're holding the cards, and if you're holding your cards and trying not to know what they are, well, what are you doing?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
+10

Yep - the cards are definitely, definitely flimsier, but I've now played almost a dozen games with Adventures cards, and it doesn't actually affect the game. You only notice it while you're holding the cards, and if you're holding your cards and trying not to know what they are, well, what are you doing?

So the Dominion: Hanabi fan expansion I've been working on won't integrate well with Adventures?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »
+3

URGENT: The Adventures box is not glossy! DO NOT GET IT WET

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 02:17:26 pm »

Well, Hasbro must have promised a really great price for printing & distribution if this is the case.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 03:45:22 pm »

Orange is one of the colors? Yes! As someone whose favorite color is orange, I feel like it never gets enough appreciation. I will be claiming this color every game. I wonder if Dominion Online will let you choose.

So it's white, red, orange, yellow, green, and I'm guessing blue?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 03:51:55 pm »
+12

Well, Hasbro must have promised a really great price for printing & distribution if this is the case.
Or, another possibility, they just did this without telling RGG, who sure did not want any drop of quality relative to previous releases, who even tested Hasbro out by having them print promos to make sure no-one found any issues with the cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 03:52:14 pm »
+3

So it's white, red, orange, yellow, green, and I'm guessing blue?
Yes.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 06:50:56 pm »
+6

Just finished my first game of Dominion: Adventures. Awesome! Way to go DXV. You hit it out of the park again.

Hasbro, however, did not. As stated previously, the card stock is thinner. While you can't tell from looking at someone's hand, it does create shuffling issues. Because the cards are flimsier, the shuffle feels jerky and you could easily make sure one of your Adventures cards is on top or on bottom or whatever. I don't play irl with people that I worry about that kind of thing, but if it were with strangers, I would definitely see some deck-cutting needing to be done. The cards are also more easily bent or damaged. I am not happy with the card stock quality.

werothegreat reported that the insert was too small. My insert is slightly too large and has to be bent out of the way to get the cards in. This is obviously easily solved by trimming it down but nonetheless.

As a preference, I would have liked to have seen the mats be glossy like all the other mats, but it's not a big deal. I did notice some offset on the backs of the cards occasionally but once I started looking hard, I could see some on the older cards as well.

Up until now I had been very impressed with the quality of the Dominion product; I own all the sets. Hasbro did not maintain the quality standard set previously. Love the game. Disappointed in the physical components.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 11:27:44 am »
+2

The mats and tokens are fantastic. Far better than any previous, just a nice texture with some mass to it. Great.

Cards are kinda thin. If you pile shuffle (which I don't), you can easily figure out which cards are Adventures and which aren't by feel. How was this overlooked? Who thought this was okay?

The only off center cards I have are Events, which obviously don't matter that much.

Overall, I'm so satisfied with what's printed *on* the cards that the physical defects really don't bother me much at all. Worst case, I finally have to get around to sleeveing my collection and sinking $60 into Euro black sleeves.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »
+1

Do we have any information on whether the issues are serious enough that they will be fixed for further printing in the near future? Basically, should I buy it when I can, or hold out for some kind of better version?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
+1

Do we have any information on whether the issues are serious enough that they will be fixed for further printing in the near future? Basically, should I buy it when I can, or hold out for some kind of better version?

According to Donald on BGG, they're currently fixing the problem.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »
+12

This is going to wreak havoc on our board game pool parties.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:48 pm »
+1

According to Donald on BGG, they're currently fixing the problem.

That being said, a lot of copies have already been printed. It could be years before they sell out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.