Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Procession Hireling  (Read 12192 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Procession Hireling
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:47 am »
+2

So, I'm pretty sure that if you Procession a Hireling, you get a $7 cost action if there is one and then the procession stays out and you draw 2 cards at the start of every turn.

Now, if I am to understand correctly, if you procession a procession that is processioning a hireling, am to guess that nothing stays out, the procession that is processing hireling is trashed, and that you still draw 2 cards at the start of your turn?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Procession Hireling
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:57 am »
+1

So, I'm pretty sure that if you Procession a Hireling, you get a $7 cost action if there is one and then the procession stays out and you draw 2 cards at the start of every turn.

Now, if I am to understand correctly, if you procession a procession that is processioning a hireling, am to guess that nothing stays out, the procession that is processing hireling is trashed, and that you still draw 2 cards at the start of your turn?

Yes.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
+1

In which case, having note cards available may be helpful.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:59 am »
+14

No, I was planning on etching "+2 Cards" into the table with my pocket knife.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:17:48 am »
+14

No, I was planning on etching "+2 Cards" into the table with my pocket knife.
I don't think I want to host a game night anymore.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:51 am »
+4

You were so focused on whether you could do it, you never stopped to ask yourself whether you should.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:01:59 am »
+3

You were so focused on whether you could do it, you never stopped to ask yourself whether you should.
The new Jurassic Park movie comes out in June.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:05:04 am »
+4

Love the reference, but I actually think that this could be a good play often. Procession-Hireling in general sounds pretty nice, because since Hireling is already like a one-shot, the normal penalty that Procession has (you must trash the card) doesn't apply. So if there's a $7 to gain, then this will be way better than Throne Room Hireling. And since normally Procession-Hireling (or Throne Room Hireling) will cause the Procession to stay out permanently; there's no drawback to trashing it either, so it's just a free $5 cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:17:28 pm »
+3

Hireling: Give up a $6 for +1 Card every turn
Throne Room + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn
Procession + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn and a $7
Procession + Procession + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn and a $7 and a $5 (and play Procession a second time)

Each successive one of these seems like an improvement over the last. More than the sum of their parts, for sure.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:41 pm »
+2

Hireling: Give up a $6 for +1 Card every turn
Throne Room + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn
Procession + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn and a $7
Procession + Procession + Hireling: Give up a $4 and a $6 for +2 Cards every turn and a $7 and a $5 (and play Procession a second time)

Each successive one of these seems like an improvement over the last. More than the sum of their parts, for sure.
So the next step is:
Procession + Procession + Hireling + Hireling: Give up $4, $6, $6 for +4 Cards every turn and $5, $7, $7?

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
+3

Now let's say the $5 is Rogue...

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »
+4

Now let's say the $5 is Rogue...
Is the $7 KC? So we can KC the Rogue to get back Procession+Hireling?

Where is the Resign button?

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 10:31:03 am »

I guess I don't understand the timing implications of processing a duration card. In the case of processing a hireling, I sort of get that the hireling and the procession stay out to remind you of the effect, but then why does it go to the trash if you process-process it? When does the processed-hireling count as "trashed"; when, if ever, can you discard a Market Square to get a gold for a processed-hireling? Can you call a Royal Carriage on a processed-hireling?

Based on what I've read, I sort of feel this should work, but I'm not 100% sure:

• Play a Royal Carriage
            • Play a Royal Carriage
            • Play a Procession
              • Play a Hireling, get +1 Card at start of turn for rest of game
                • Call Royal Carriage, replay the Hireling, get +1 Card at start of turn for rest of game
              • Play a Hireling, get +1 Card at start of turn for rest of game
                • Call Royal Carriage, replay the Hireling, get +1 Card at start of turn for rest of game
              • Trash Hireling, but do not remove it from play area
                • Discard Market Square, gain a gold
              • Gain a KC
            • (Assuming an extra action and a card not mentioned above) Play a Rogue, retrieving Hireling from trash

If that is right, then I think I misplayed a Procession/Dungeon/Royal Carriage/Market Square combo last night.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:43 am »
+1

When you Procession a Duration, the Duration goes into the trash and the Pricession stays out as a reminder. If you Procession a Procession for two Durations, nothing stats out, and the 2nd Procession and both Durations are in the trash.

In your example, Hireling should be in the trash, but Procession and two Royal Carriages stay out to remind you that you get +4 cards.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 11:03:58 am »

When you Procession a Duration, the Duration goes into the trash and the Pricession stays out as a reminder. If you Procession a Procession for two Durations, nothing stats out, and the 2nd Procession and both Durations are in the trash.

In your example, Hireling should be in the trash, but Procession and two Royal Carriages stay out to remind you that you get +4 cards.

Thanks, then I did play the combo wrong, but not exactly as I had feared (I put the Dungeon in the trash on the next turn, and discarded a Market Square then, a turn late).

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:08:12 pm »

Yeah, it's a neat trick for sure. Unfortunately the chances are that there's no $7 action in the supply, and the one time you actually get to pull it off it'll probably be Expand, but hey you never know.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:43 pm »
+4

Yeah, it's a neat trick for sure. Unfortunately the chances are that there's no $7 action in the supply, and the one time you actually get to pull it off it'll probably be Expand, but hey you never know.
Expand is fine, why do people even complain about Expand. They can't all be the best $7 action ever.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 05:27:43 pm »

Expand is fine, why do people even complain about Expand. They can't all be the best $7 action ever.

Well sure, but then again all I was saying is that it's the worst $7 action, not that it's bad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.