Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CARD OF THE WEEK #5: Steward  (Read 10977 times)

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: CARD OF THE WEEK #5: Steward
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
+1

Who the hell is Stewart?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49:32 pm »
+4

Who the hell is Stewart?

That's his name... didn't you know?  Everyone knows it's Stewart the Steward.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »
+5

Who the hell is Stewart?

That's his name... didn't you know?  Everyone knows it's Stewart the Steward.

Oh, man, no matter how many times I read the FAQ I still miss stuff!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:04 pm »
+2

I call him Stewie for short.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 06:53:44 am »
+2

5 almost never. It's not hard to hit 5. If there is a really important 5, you probably also got a Silver, and you can buy a 5 with that. 6 can be spent on Gold for a money deck (since the alternative is just trashing Copper -- it's like taking Cache over nothing). It's also good for Altar or Forge in an engine. That trashing will easily make up for the skipped trashing of Steward. And maybe Goons to get the attack going early. Almost anything else is usually a no-go. You should be able to get those cards eventually and having them a little earlier usually isn't worth taking 2 junk cards.

Assuming you opened Silver/Steward and you draw your Steward on turn 3 I would maybe distinguish between two situations.

a) draw Steward with 4 Coppers or 3 Coppers and 1 Silver
b) draw Steward with 3 Coppers and an Estate or with 2 Coppers, Estate and silver

In the second situation you clearly want to trash Estate/Copper over getting a $5 card.
In the first one, your deck is left with 3 Estates, 1 Silver and 3 Coppers. You're just almost never going to hit $5 on turn 4. Now if there is a $5 card that I would play over Steward or that is nonterminal, it might be wirth to get that card first. I mean cards like maybe Mountebank or Junk Dealer. I would probably not buy a Lab, for instance.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 07:48:04 am »
+1

I've seen some use the +$2 to spike an early 6 or 7, though the situations in which one would do this seem scarce...thoughts?

This is a great question, I'd love to hear thoughts on how good a 6 or 7 (or even 5) would have to be to forgo the trashing early on.

I may do this when my Steward misses my Estates on T3 or T4, and there are key $5 or $6 cards.  I.e. if it come up with Steward + 4 coppers, I'd be tempted to snag that early Goons, or Border Village + Wharf, or whatever.  Even still it depends on the board, but there are certainly situations that call for it, albeit pretty rare.

Also, don't know if this is correct or not, but I would think doing this would be more common in >2 player games, i.e. when attack cards are better and thinning is not as good.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:08 am »

The other thing that hasn't really been mentioned here is how good Steward is in money decks. It's actually pretty good. You just trash 1-2 times instead of 4-6 times an then start using it as +2 cards. It's better than Masquerade
Is this actually true? The turns you trash with Steward you can't buy anything. Masquerade on the other hand can trash an estate and buy gold. That seems way better.

Masquerade trashing Estate and buying Gold on the first play is really rare. It's much more likely to get you $5.

I should clarify my statement though. Masquerade is a better card for BM because you do often want a $5 card. But pure Steward + money seems empirically faster than Masq + money (I haven't seen any good Steward simulations since you actually have to make choices).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 10:50:10 am »

The other thing that hasn't really been mentioned here is how good Steward is in money decks. It's actually pretty good. You just trash 1-2 times instead of 4-6 times an then start using it as +2 cards. It's better than Masquerade
Is this actually true? The turns you trash with Steward you can't buy anything. Masquerade on the other hand can trash an estate and buy gold. That seems way better.

Masquerade trashing Estate and buying Gold on the first play is really rare. It's much more likely to get you $5.

I should clarify my statement though. Masquerade is a better card for BM because you do often want a $5 card. But pure Steward + money seems empirically faster than Masq + money (I haven't seen any good Steward simulations since you actually have to make choices).
Well, either way you'd want some additional BM support to make them both competitive, say from cards like Hoard. If you can make +2 cards draw more than $2 on average then BM starts with these cards are formidable. The same applies to Junk Dealer actually.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »
+2

There has been a very long discussion of steward before on these forums but it mainly centered on whether to play the steward for 6 coin hand on turn 3. Opening steward/steward was mentioned as a radical new idea, which shows how long ago that discussion was. Back then I suggested that a steward was at its best when you could use all three functions and whilst that's generally true it is of no great value as advice. Nobody should be trying to invent uses for their steward when there's one good thing the steward should do all game long. Generally, however, the steward is a decision card and there isn't a good article about steward since nobody can give specific advice that matches every decision players will face.

-Trashing uses 3 cards from a 5 card hand and hurts income. There needs to be some benefit later.
-Two cost cards are significant when using stewards since you are likely to have hands where you trash and have 2 coins to spend.
-Villages can be important for steward, particularly villages with +cards.
-The throne room family works very well with steward, even allowing decks entirely full of terminal actions.
-As a note for new owners of the intrigue set, steward defends well against torturer.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:40:51 pm by DG »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.