Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Storyteller + Bank?  (Read 6514 times)

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
Storyteller + Bank?
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »
+6

Note: this is my second post, so my article writing skills might not be great.

Bank loves large handsizes with lots of treasure. However, engines, which are usually geared towards drawing a large handsize, tend to do worse when treasure, needed for Bank, is being drawn instead of engine parts. Storyteller, on the other hand, provides non-terminal sifting/drawing which powers up Bank considerably. Plus, Storyteller keeps the spent treasure in play, allowing money to be generated from already spent treasure. Bank could possibly reach $5+ due to the treasure in play.

Works with:
The all-important +buy
Treasure gainers
Other sifters to discard green cards

Counters:
Junkers
Lack of +buy
Faster strategies

Any thoughts?
removed by user

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Storyteller + Bank?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:53 pm »

Welcome to the forums!

I definitely think there's some synergy here, but not so much that I'd actually call it a "combo."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:35:00 pm »
+2

I might have to disagree with you there, granted I've never played with storyteller.  But, using your treasures to draw a ton of cards and still being able to cash in with bank seems pretty strong. Kinda like how trashing a gold with apprentice is strong.  This is just my opinion, but anyone else's tgoughts would be nice.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:38 pm »

As I understand the definition, to constitute a combo your entire strategy should revolve around just those cards.
So Native Village/Bridge or Beggar/Gardens are combos because you don't need to buy any other cards to win.

So, if Storyteller/Bank can be called a Combo (rather than a synergy) it needs to work without any other support (apart from maybe basic treasures).

I can see two problems.
First, if you have too high a treasure to Storyteller ratio, it's not going to fire every turn.
Especially a problem as you start to green.

Second, you need a source of +buy.
Getting your Banks up to $5+ is going to be pretty frustrating if you're spending $20 a turn just to buy Provinces.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:16 am »
+28

I'm so glad we always discuss the definition of "combo" every time someone posts about using two cards together
My opponent has more loot than me

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 06:24:27 am »

Sorry, but having witnessed a massive argument over whether some combination of cards have a "synergy" or a "special synergy" I kind of think establishing definitions is helpful. I didn't mean to be condescending.

The way I read microman's reply was "I disagree that this isn't a combo, because these cards work really well together". And, well, as far as I can gather that's a synergy, not a combo.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:44 am »

Belugawhale didn't even call it a combo, so let's just discuss the snyergy here. +buy seems really important and I feel a treasure hunter or other gainer might be important to get the payload up (especially if you want to draw your deck, you already need to pay a lot for drawing). I believe this might beat big money if you get a few good turns with it
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:04:46 am »
+1

Yeah, fair enough.

I think another big challenge with Storyteller in general is knowing when to stop. Because it uses up all your money when you play it, it would be easy to draw your deck only to realise you don't have enough treasure left to spend. It's a weird situation where your payload is also fuel for your engine, but it can't be both at the same time.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:12:45 am »
+1

Yup, these two cards together turn your Coppers into Peddlers, in general, Storyteller works well with high-value treasures in general and Bank is just about as high-value as they get, so it makes sense that this interaction is good.

And it is good, I mean I wouldn't build my whole deck around it but if you want Storyteller in your life, then Bank is just going to be amaze-balls and you should totally be getting it.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:03 am »

Well, it's great because not only does Bank count all the Treasures played for Storyteller, but then Storyteller will draw a metric shit-ton more for Bank to play with.  Depending on how you've structured your deck, of course.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:21 am »

This sounds like it can be pretty good with a source of +buy

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 01:37:52 pm »
+3

I always kinda assume combo to mean the same sort of thing it means in MtG, since that seems to be the origin of the term, and in its case it is totally fine if two things don't literally win the entire game on their own, if they create a dramatic amount of advantage on their own, that's enough.  No one says Heritage Druid plus Nettle Sentinel isn't a combo isn't really a combo since it doesn't really kill the opponent. 

This definitely needs +buy, colonies, or a VP card gainer to be good, but it's still a combo.

Bank pretty much says "+3$ for each storyteller played this turn" and that's stacked ontop of the natural synergy so this seems pretty explosive.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 04:00:46 pm »
+1

Yup, these two cards together turn your Coppers into Peddlers, in general, Storyteller works well with high-value treasures in general and Bank is just about as high-value as they get, so it makes sense that this interaction is good.

And it is good, I mean I wouldn't build my whole deck around it but if you want Storyteller in your life, then Bank is just going to be amaze-balls and you should totally be getting it.

Thanks for informing me that "amaze-balls" is hyphenated!  And for putting that word into my personal vocabulary in the first place.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 10:22:41 am »

As I understand the definition, to constitute a combo your entire strategy should revolve around just those cards.
So Native Village/Bridge or Beggar/Gardens are combos because you don't need to buy any other cards to win.

So, if Storyteller/Bank can be called a Combo (rather than a synergy) it needs to work without any other support (apart from maybe basic treasures).

I can see two problems.
First, if you have too high a treasure to Storyteller ratio, it's not going to fire every turn.
Especially a problem as you start to green.

Second, you need a source of +buy.
Getting your Banks up to $5+ is going to be pretty frustrating if you're spending $20 a turn just to buy Provinces.
I guess I didn't consider what a combo truly meant.  There is for sure going to need to be some supporting cards for bank+storyteller to be really good

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 05:30:00 am »

I disagree with that definition. Is Tournament-Province a combo? Maybe (if it isn't, it's because it's too obvious). Is Mine/Fool's Gold a combo? Maybe, I'm not sure. Is Native Village/Courtyard a combo? Yes. Are any of these two cards going to be someone's "entire strategy"? I feel like there are always levels, dimension, and depth connected with the term "strategy." I can buy two cards for their interaction (AKA: combo) and throw in half a dozen other cards along with it.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 05:47:47 am »
+1

I can buy two cards for their interaction (AKA: combo) and throw in half a dozen other cards along with it.

Yeah, that's a combo. If you have a strategy and throw in an interaction along with it, that's not a combo, that's the other strategy. Tournament/Province isn't a combo because you put it in an engine, Mine/Fool's Gold is not a combo because you put it in big money, Native Village/Courtyard is not a combo because you put it in an engine. Hermit/Market Square is a combo because that's the strategy even though you sometimes want to buy Schemes as well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 10:19:11 am »
+2

I'm so glad we always discuss the definition of "combo" every time someone posts about using two cards together

Posting about using two cards together and discussing the definition of "combo"... is a combo.

arjunc12

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • The Writer's Fakeblock
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 11:01:11 pm »
+1

Storyteller converts coins into cards; bank recoups all of the coin that storyteller used to draw cards; the only thing that is missing for a megaturn is some +buy; if only there were a treasure that gave you coin (for the storyteller to draw) and +buy (to make the most use of the powered up bank)?

Enter charm. Early on you can use charm's gaining ability to simultaneously grab charms and storytellers; later, use the +2/+1 buy to power up both the storyteller and later the bank.

I haven't yet tried this in a human game but it worked pretty well against the bot.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 08:02:49 am »
+1

Saying Tournament-Province is a combo is like saying Moneylender-Copper is a combo.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 08:20:04 am »
+2

This is absolutely a combo; the synergy is way stronger than the normal amount of synergy between two cards. Storyteller puts a ridiculous number of Treasures in play.

+Buy is needed, but combos that need villages exist and that’s a similar concept.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 02:52:08 am »

I did this today w/ dominate on board.  I pulled a 2 dominate turn on t9 or 10 i forget exactly.  But it was sick.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.